What if King Daeron II was present at the Tourney of Ashford?

If king Daeron II was present at the Tourney of Ashford would there still be a trial by seven? Baelor Breakspear seemed to be aware of his nephew Aerion’s nature and perhaps the king was as well. Baelor was chivalrous and idealistic but was pragmatic enough to know that he could not openly side against his family or completely upend the system and pardon a hedge knight for striking a prince of the blood royal without it potentially having far reaching consequences and it was only when Aerion cowardly invoked the right to trial by seven and he saw that great injustice was about to take place that he decided that he must do what was right despite the consequences. If king Daeron II was at the tourney would he have been more capable of putting an end to the trial or forcing single combat especially after Baelor decides to fight for Dunk? Would it be more embarrassing for the King and Targaryen family to pardon a hedge Knight and punish a secondary prince then see the crown prince fight his brother, nephews and kingsguard over said hedge Knight?

If Daeron the Good had been there things would have gone completely different, one imagines. There wouldn't have been a trial, because the king would have told Maekar and his sons to let this thing go.

Baelor was just Maekar's elder brother, not his father or king. He could push him only so far ... but Daeron II could have commanded his son, and Maekar and his sons would have obeyed.

• 3 weeks later...

Daeron would likely have been more pragmatic, one assumes. He seems to be similar to Charles (“the wise”) V of France, in that he he was himself not a warrior, but rather bookish and physically weak, but kept his kingdom together during civil wars. While his sons led in battle, he must have been shrewd to keep enough allies to avoid the Blackfyres being able to conquer. One so shrewd, would have not allowed the dirty laundry of the house to be so openly shown to his vassals. Perhaps Ser Duncan might have quietly vanished?

On 7/15/2021 at 12:26 AM, Lord Varys said:

Baelor was just Maekar's elder brother, not his father or king. He could push him only so far ... but Daeron II could have commanded his son, and Maekar and his sons would have obeyed.

I could understand that argument in regards to Stannis and Renly but Baelor was the crown prince, hand of the king and protector of the realm... 

I think Baelor could have commanded his brother and nephews but was pragmatic enough to know it would open up a can of worms if he straight up pardoned someone for striking a prince of the blood or siding with a hedge Knight over his brother and nephews. I’m sure he was aware Blackfyre sympathizers would take note of any weakness or disfunction in the royal family.

3 minutes ago, The Merling King said:

I could understand that argument in regards to Stannis and Renly but Baelor was the crown prince, hand of the king and protector of the realm...

I think Baelor could have commanded his brother and nephews but was pragmatic enough to know it would open up a can of worms if he straight up pardoned someone for striking a prince of the blood or siding with a hedge Knight over his brother and nephews. I’m sure he was aware Blackfyre sympathizers would take note of any weakness or disfunction in the royal family.

Baelor pretty much makes it clear that he didn't have as much authority with Maekar as he would have liked to resolve the conflict peacefully. Daeron II would have had that authority.

Archived