They're Racist and We Know It - A UK Politics Thread

polishgenius

1 hour ago, DaveSumm said:

Yea I agree, the standard response to an anti-vaxxer’s cry of “they’re forcing us!” has always been “No, nobody is.”

Are people being forced to attend nightclubs and other crowded venues?  Hell, I don't know about the UK, but here in the states many universities are requiring vaccination in order to enroll in the fall semester.  Something I fully support, for faculty and staff too.  And I'd venture to say the right to go to school is far more essential than the right to go clubbing.

11 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

‘With’ not ‘because of’. With cases so high, you’d expect a fair portion of those entering hospital to have it, statistically speaking.

The number of people in the UK who currently have Covid is perhaps 5% maximum (being generous). If it is really true that 60% of current hospital admissions have Covid, then the idea that these people are simply "with Covid" -  i.e. are actually ill with something else but just happen to have Covid as well - is statistically impossible.

36 minutes ago, L'oiseau français said:

I just saw a Reuters story on Facebook saying 60% of the people going to hospital with Covid-19 are fully vaccinated, according to the Minister in charge.

What the actual hell? 60% of new cases are fully vaccinated people?

I think our chief scientific adviser is not having a good day:

17 minutes ago, A wilding said:

The number of people in the UK who currently have Covid is perhaps 5% maximum (being generous). If it is really true that 60% of current hospital admissions have Covid, then the idea that these people are simply "with Covid" -  i.e. are actually ill with something else but just happen to have Covid as well - is statistically impossible.

But in addition, those hospitalised still lean toward older age groups who are overwhelmingly more likely to be double vaccinated. So if (completely made up numbers) 1% of doubled vaxxed were hospitalised, and 10% of non vaxxed, then the fact that there’s just so many people vaccinated will swell that 1% to look worse.

1 hour ago, L'oiseau français said:

I just saw a Reuters story on Facebook saying 60% of the people going to hospital with Covid-19 are fully vaccinated, according to the Minister in charge.

What the actual hell? 60% of new cases are fully vaccinated people?

FB enabling lies -- that's what the Federals are trying to force FB to stop.

14 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Yes, but whatever the reasons, we've gone from vaccines that are 96% effective, to vaccines that are 60% effective. Yet here we are. Freedom Day. 

That math doesn't make sense.  Just because 40% of those hospitalized for covid have been vaccinated does not mean 40% of all vaccinated people are being hospitalized.

42 minutes ago, L'oiseau français said:

Wait. That means 40% are vaccinated people. That’s still a staggering number.

If we had somehow vaccinated 100% of the population then 100% of the people in hospital would be vaccinated.

More seriously, currently 88% of the adult population have had at least one dose so I don't think it would too surprising if the number of hospitalised people from the 12% unvaccinated is comparable to the smaller proportion of people vaccinated from the 88%, especially when the 12% unvaccinated is mostly young people at very low risk of serious infection.

15 minutes ago, DMC said:

That math doesn't make sense.  Just because 40% of those hospitalized for covid have been vaccinated does not mean 40% of all vaccinated people are being hospitalized.

I saw this hypothetical example of how such a % could happen with effective vaccines and high coverage. I think most of us don't have particularly good intuition for how statistics work.

2 hours ago, Spockydog said:

After the peak? We're nowhere near it yet. Not sure if you've noticed, but infections are going up, not down. 

I think that was a reference to government comments that they expect the wave to peak before the end of August or start of September and then decline.

I'm not sure what they're basing that on other than fervent hopes. Other members of SAGE were saying that they expect the cases to explode past 100,000 hospitalisations a day and it may not peak until it goes past 200,000 a day way past that point, which is completely insane. Even with the vaccine and assuming more and more people get vaccinated, that will still push deaths per day up into the low hundreds. Better than the 1,000 per day+ seen at previous peaks, but enough to start people really clamouring for another lockdown.

That's really the nightmare scenario for the government: us having the population mostly or even entirely vaccinated but still not being able to "return to normal" because that removes from them a viable exit strategy (apart from "wait for second or third generation vaccines that hopefully stop transmission dead"). They're adamant that they won't insist on "a new normal" of social distancing and mask wearing, when to be honest that bit's become second nature to people over the past eighteen months.

Today I commented on twitter that people shouldn't send death threats to JK Rowling even though she's a bigot and my comments have since been indundated with Brits screaming waaaah she's not a bigot waaah!

Fucking terf island, man. 

10 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Fucking terf island, man. 

I just had a look and oof, those replies are...something. The gender colonizer bit did make me laugh, ngl.

Anecdotally, having lived in both the UK & the US, the UK seems to be miles behind the US in terms of trans activism whilst also being completely filled with TERFs.

Makes me big sad.

Archived