HBO Max Exploring Yi Ti Animated Series

Westeros

James Hibberd has another scoop, reporting that HBO Max has ended development of the previously reported animated series focused on Flea Bottom. But it also is developing two new animated projects, and one of them is based on Yi Ti, an ancient and high civilization far to the east of the Seven Kingdoms that is inspired by Chinese history and culture. The World of Ice and Fire is the source of much of what we know of Yi Ti, including its people and their descent from the Great Empire of the Dawn who may have had a role in the Long Night.

Click for full-sized image

read on >>>

View the full article

(typo - you spelled it as "Yi Yi" in the forum thread title)

I thought Hibberd said Flea Bottom was a live-action idea, not animated. That was the whole point; something you could do relatively cheap in live action (shrug).  If it was  Young Daemon it would have been fun, otherwise not.

The fact that one of these three animated projects is Yi Ti increases the chances one of the other two is the Summer Isles; I'm surprised they're doing Yi Ti since it was never even mentioned by name in the TV show. In contrast, the Summer Isles have been mentioned, mostly in context of Grey Worm's ethnicity. That is, if you ask TV viewers on the street what "Yi Ti" is you'll get a blank stare, but if you ask "what are the Summer Isles" they'll go "where black people are from, in the south?"  TV show cut out pretty much all the worldbuilding from it, but people at least know the name. And in-universe, the Summer Isles are A LOT closer to Westeros (it's not unusual to see Summer Islander trading ships in ports from King's Landing to Oldtown, but it would be unusual to see a Yi Tish ship).

So if they're doing something with such little basis in the TV show as Yi Ti, Summer Isles stands an even better chance.

Ah I find the quote: 

95% of the far east material was written by George, and we’d say 90% of what he wrote is what actually made it into the book -- there was a bit of trimming here and there, mostly in the sections on Yi Ti and the Dothraki.

TWOIAF has ~20k far east matertial. so maybe 1-2k deleted material on Yi Ti?

I'd expect that all the sections on the Seven Kingdoms were trimmed here and there, although we don't have confirmation of any trimming taking place.

Looking forward to Yi Ti stuff, especially since that is really a completely different/new thing where the writers could tell interesting stories of their own with, essentially, complete freedom.

1 hour ago, zionius said:

TWOIAF has ~20k far east matertial. so maybe 1-2k deleted material on Yi Ti?

Sounds about right. But..."I will show you fear in a handful of dust".

Once sentence about the Jade-Green emperors is all we have to go on to cover a sweep of centuries. 2,000 words in the World book, particularly in the Beyond Westeros sections, often covers a LOT more material. Not even comparable to the Westerlands chapter.

Dare we hope this will encourage GRRM to put out the remaining Yi Ti materials as a blog post like the Westerlands chapter?!

I privately restored the content of the Westerlands chapter to the abridged version, right down to the headlines of the different sub-chapters, while keeping the changes which were introduced in the TWoIaF editing process. Was forced to do a few tweaks here and there for the Quellon situation and the chronology of events regarding the arrival of the Andals. But you can get a fine 'extended version' of the chapter easily enough.

If you are interested drop me a line.

2 hours ago, zionius said:

George said he could write serial novels on Yi Ti so he probably has more notes and ideas and could write like 50k words in a few weeks.

I'd expect he is going to give them whatever additional background he has created or might create for the show. Although my gut feeling would be that they might do the Great Empire of the Dawn stuff. That is the biggest and most magical part of it, very fitting for an animated series.

I'd also guess that they plan to include Yi Ti on a big scale in the Corlys Velaryon show, which, presumably, would be the show to introduce the place. Corlys could very well not only visit various YiTish harbors but also make a tour of the country, travelling the land as an honored guest of the emperor, giving the whole thing a Marco Polo vibe or something along those lines.

For all we know the love Corlys allegedly lost at Asshai was a YiTish princess.

The Yi Yi thing got a lot of laughs on Facebook. That (and the Flea Bottom not being an animatead project) were the result of reading the piece and writing it up on on the phone while mechanics were diagnosing a breakdown in the middle of what was supposed to be our vacation. :P Back home now and made some edits to sort it out.

I do wonder what the original animated show was going to be about.

4 hours ago, Ran said:

I do wonder what the original animated show was going to be about.

We might still find out. There are now three animated shows in development and none of them have been cancelled.

Ah, I probably should have re-read the article in full. And corrected again...

In any case, I do like that the Yi Ti series means HBO is looking beyond ASoIaF to the wider world that GRRM's invented.

I think something based on the historical ironborn could make a great animated series, along the lines of Vinland Saga. The Summer Isles is a great choice, particularly the Slaver Wars and the Arrow of Jhahar and the like. Then there's the establishment of Braavos that could be fun... 

Lots of possibilities.

Archived