If you could choose

Garlan the Gallant

If you could choose one of the following series to end unpredictably, one series to end predictably, one series to end with a disappointing ending, and one series to have its final book go unpublished, how would you choose?

1) Sword of Shadows by J.V. Jones;

2) The Gentleman Bastards by Scott Lynch;

3) A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin; and

4) The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss

So this is “Marry, F***, Kill:  Book Edition”? :lol: 

Ive not read the JV Jones, so I’ll leave it unfinished.

I say ASoIaF can get the expected ending.

I’d love an unexpected ending for Gentlemen Bastards.

Kingkiller is already headed to a disappointment, so let’s just go there. :lol: 

Sadly, in all seriousness, I expect none of those three series to ever be finished.  At least Kingkiller theoretically is on the final book.  But there’s no possible way GRRM finishes two or more books and Lynch getting out what is it… four more books?  Fuhgetaboutit.

Give ASoIaF the expected ending, Kingkiller Chronicles the unexpected one, and flip a coin for the latter two, which I've barely even heard of before now. Looking them up, I don't think I will start reading them either, because I've been burned twice by epic fantasy series I later found to be stalled by writers' block. If either series finishes to generally positive reviews, I'll probably give them a chance, but otherwise, I'll pass. 

18 hours ago, Garlan the Gallant said:

If you could choose one of the following series to end unpredictably, one series to end predictably, one series to end with a disappointing ending, and one series to have its final book go unpublished, how would you choose?

1) Sword of Shadows by J.V. Jones- Don't care

2) The Gentleman Bastards by Scott Lynch- Don't care

3) A Song of Ice and Fire by George R.R. Martin- Predictable

4) The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss- Unpredictable

Sword of Shadows is actually the one most likely to be finished; Jones is wrapping up Book 5 now and I believe is then straight into the final volume. Hugely underrated series, better than Rothfuss frankly and more consistent than Lynch.

I'd leave the Rothfuss series unfinished.

I enjoy reading this subforum's Rothfuss threads, so that can remain unpublished.

ASOIAF should end unpredictably.  Personally, I don't think it's endings could ever be completely predictable or completely disappointing.

I was disappointed while reading RSuRS, so that series can have the disappointing ending.

That leaves Sword of Shadows to be predictable.

I’d like ASOIAF to have an unpredictable ending, even if I know it won’t actually get written.

And I’d like JV Jones series to actually get finished, predictable or not.  That’s quite a lot better ahead of the Kingkiller of Gentleman Bastards.

7 hours ago, Werthead said:

Sword of Shadows is actually the one most likely to be finished; Jones is wrapping up Book 5 now and I believe is then straight into the final volume. Hugely underrated series, better than Rothfuss frankly and more consistent than Lynch.

I'd leave the Rothfuss series unfinished.

Her blog has somewhat dried up of details behind her progress of late. I’m hoping that progress is still being made.

I prefer Sword of Shadows to Rothfuss and Lynch or pretty much any of my favorite series/authors other than Martin or Abercrombie.

On 7/16/2021 at 9:37 PM, Garlan the Gallant said:

1) Sword of Shadows gets the predictable ending if the prediction is she finishes it.  I would rate Sword of Shadows second on this list.  Easily.

2) The Gentlemen Bastards can have the unpredictable ending.  Hopefully a good one as Lynch is fully capable.

3) A Song of Ice and Fire can have the disappointing ending.  This means either it doesn't get finished at all or it just finishes as the show ended.  I haven't seen a single episode of the show so the latter wouldn't be that bad for me...but I hate the idea that the show influenced the remaining books as I know it must have.  Not sure why that bugs me but it does. 

4) The Kingkiller Chronicles can go unpublished because who cares.  This will never happen. 

I’ll tentatively agree that the Jones is the best or second best on that list. I read it like 20 years. I remember it’s good though. That can get the predictable finish.

I’m fairly confident Asoiaf is going to end more or less as the tv show did, so that needs an unpredictable ending.

I think I’d rather see an ending for Kingkiller than GB, even if, by the rules of the thread it has to be a disappointing one.

On 7/17/2021 at 10:07 AM, Garlan the Gallant said:

ASOIAF to end anyway possible. As long as it ends, ima happy boy 

Edit 

In my lifetime 

I have a very specific desire: I'd very much like Locke to realize he's a terrible boyfriend to Sabetha and them not to get together.

That would be the ultimate twist to me.

I think A Song of Ice and Fire should end the way Martin does, even if I think the show ending's problems weren't entirely on presentation.

Kingkiller Chronicles? No idea how it would end to begin with and that's weird because Kvothe is telling the story from the future.

On 7/16/2021 at 11:37 PM, Garlan the Gallant said:

1. Predictably. Sword of Shadows is a good series and I'd love to see it conclude. 

2. Unexpected. I don't love Lynch like others do, so maybe something different would help. 

3. Unpublished. We already have the ending of ASOIAF in broad brushstrokes, so, meh?

4. Disappointing. I fully expect Doors of Stone to be disappointing. A 15 year wait for....the conclusion of an origin story that doesn't address the present day, leaving everyone wholly unsatisfied.

Archived