Basketball - Your Country For Once Has A Serious Chance

This thread is for all things relating to Olympic basketball, men's and women's divisions.

Team U.S.A. on the men's side is looking as vulnerable as it's ever been since we started sending pro's. Most of our top players are out, and we're at a point where arguably 4 of the top 10 players in the world represent foreign counties (Giannis, Luka, Jokic and Embiid). It's going to be an uphill battle to take gold, which is the only acceptable outcome, and we're going to have to do so with this fucking guy on the team:

1 hour ago, BigFatCoward said:

First games related positive test in village. It may just get down to whoever can get 5 players on the court.

This is where the US may have an advantage. In 2016 the players were just kicking it on a yacht because of Zika in Rio. I'm sure they'll try to do something similar in Tokyo. 

I have over 2,000 channels on my cable package. It's fucking offensive that there are 20 or so channels with Olympic coverage and yet the US Men's team is no where to be found. They do this every four years. Why are there three different channels carrying Japan v. Mexico in soccer and two on archery, but our best sport we just completely ignore. Hate this shit. 

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have over 2,000 channels on my cable package. It's fucking offensive that there are 20 or so channels with Olympic coverage and yet the US Men's team is no where to be found. They do this every four years. Why are there three different channels carrying Japan v. Mexico in soccer and two on archery, but our best sport we just completely ignore. Hate this shit. 

Bet you pleased you missed it now. Not the strongest team USA line up ever. But they really should beat France. 

17 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Bet you pleased you missed it now. Not the strongest team USA line up ever. But they really should beat France. 

I'm actually interested because this is possibly the worst pro team we've ever sent to the Olympics, hence the title. Only two of our top ten players are on the team, the roster overall is really weird and backed with shit players and the European style of play is problematic for guys used to NBA rules.

I believe Trae Young wasn't even considered, or snubbed for the roster is another term.

They need to figure it out because they are looking quite vulnerable.

In a way I think it's great that basketball has evolved into such a successful World sport that you have the U.S. team getting out competed and then of course we have the Greek God as the pinnacle of the sport currently.

I think I prefer this tighter competition to the dream team type skunk games, it's good for the sport imo.

1 hour ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I believe Trae Young wasn't even considered, or snubbed for the roster is another term.

In a way I think it's great that basketball has evolved into such a successful World sport that you have the U.S. team getting out competed and then of course we have the Greek God as the pinnacle of the sport currently.

I think I prefer this tighter competition to the dream team type skunk games, it's good for the sport imo.

Funny enough, Giannis is not very good under European rules. It's really easy for teams to wall off since there's no defensive 3 second violation. 

12 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

I think it would make more sense now for the all star game to be USA v rest of world to help it grow further. Maybe even a miniseries of 3 games in 5 days like a ryder cup. 

17 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I think it would make more sense now for the all star game to be USA v rest of world to help it grow further. Maybe even a miniseries of 3 games in 5 days like a ryder cup. 

They do this with the younger players. Not sure it would work with the established stars though. If you lean on just the top players you have a glut of bigs, and to get to a more balanced roster you'd need to take guys who have no business being called All-Stars. 

Man fuck NBC. They're still not airing any US men's basketball games. I'm not signing up for your shitty streaming service. But thanks for showing on 5-10 different channels events that mostly already took place. 

Once, again, fuck you NBC. They have several channels running the games in the middle of the night, but they would rather replay events that ended days ago than air the basketball game, because you must pay to see it. To see a fucking bum C squad. 

I hope they lose a ton of money over this shit. Their ratings have to be a shit show given nobody cares about these specific games.

ETA: Big Dawgs Gotta Eat!

Bring on Luka!!!!!!!!!! 

(or France, you're a very good team too, just, ya know, KD vs Luka please)

On 8/5/2021 at 6:30 AM, Tywin et al. said:

Once, again, fuck you NBC. They have several channels running the games in the middle of the night, but they would rather replay events that ended days ago than air the basketball game, because you must pay to see it. To see a fucking bum C squad. 

You could've just used some German proxy server and then used the livestream from the German public broadcasting. It's basically browse your own adventure. You can even rewatch the game.

I assume you need a proxy to fake a German IP for it.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

You could've just used some German proxy server and then used the livestream from the German public broadcasting. It's basically browse your own adventure. You can even rewatch the game.

I assume you need a proxy to fake a German IP for it.

It's not about being unable to get the games, I can stream them if I was willing to pay. It's that NBC intentionally doesn't air US Olympic basketball, and I fucking hate that given our dominance and that basketball is my favorite sport. We aren't exposed to a lot of international play here, so I think it should be highlighted rather than hidden.

And I am telling you in Germany pretty much the entire Olympics could be watched for free. Public boradcasting be blessed. And with a German IP, you could presumably at least re-watch it. Final was pretty good/close. With some better nerves France could've won it. But they missed too many easy points in the final quarter.

22 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And I am telling you in Germany pretty much the entire Olympics could be watched for free. Public boradcasting be blessed. And with a German IP, you could presumably at least re-watch it. Final was pretty good/close. With some better nerves France could've won it. But they missed too many easy points in the final quarter.

They aired the Final. That's it.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

They aired the Final. That's it.

? I linked the final, because that's the game you were asking for.

Olympic Basketball what's still online.

If you wanted to rewatch USA-Czech Republic, then you'd have to hurry, as they'll take that one offline within the next two hours. You just have to scroll down.

For the Group Match USA-France you'd still have one more day.

USA-Spain will go off in two days.

30 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

? I linked the final, because that's the game you were asking for.

Olympic Basketball what's still online.

If you wanted to rewatch USA-Czech Republic, then you'd have to hurry, as they'll take that one offline within the next two hours. You just have to scroll down.

For the Group Match USA-France you'd still have one more day.

USA-Spain will go off in two days.

I think you're missing the point. It's not about can I find a way to access the games, it's that it's offensive that they're not directly promoting them here. 

Archived