Covid #35: I am the Alpha and the Omega.

27 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why do these types feel the need to make God out to be such an asshole? It's like they want him to be small and not grand.

Not that it does much good, but there’s always a bible verse to hand back these folks - James 2:14-26, usually summarized as “Faith without works is dead.”  Doubly ironic with the dead part.

Unfortunately, the anti-vaxx, anti-lockdown disease has spread to Australia with thousands of idiots marching in Sydney (which has rising Delta cases), Melbourne and Brisbane. Some of the slogans are straight from the Trumpanistas - 'Authority comes from God', 'Drain the Swamp', etc. Utterly furious that they are putting their fellow Aussies at risk, including the police rostered for crowd control. I would love to know who is organising and encouraging these marches as I doubt they are just spontaneous eruptions.

1 hour ago, VigoTheCarpathian said:

Not that it does much good, but there’s always a bible verse to hand back these folks - James 2:14-26, usually summarized as “Faith without works is dead.”  Doubly ironic with the dead part.

Of course there's always a verse or passage you can show them, but like you said, it almost never does anything good. It's really convenient how God's holy book can turn into a chose your own adventure novel when you need it to.

3 hours ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Yeah, I'd agree that holding the Olympics was a bad idea. Although I think in general even in happier times the Games do discriminate against poorer nations (I mean, there is no way some countries can compete with state of the art training facilities in many Western countries). The best events are where some basic technology coupled with superior skills is the recipe for success, like long distance running.

The Marathon very likely being a very good candidate for likely medal winners not being vaccinated. Kenya (Kosgei and Kipchoge are both Kenyans and the heavy favorites for the marathons, if I am not mistaken) has a mere 1.2% of its population fully vaccinated. Altho I'd take the basic technology out of the equation. Nike fundamentally changed the game when they came up with those vaporfly shoes. There the non Nike athletes were properly pissed and talked about technology doping.

You can search for it yourself, as I don't want to derail this thread any further.

9 hours ago, Raja said:

Hmm. Do you have a source for this? I'm curious.

Trying to find a good source that isn't behind a paywall. I'm largely going from the comments by the chief health officer / public health officers in Victoria & NSW who oversees their contact tracing teams. There's at least one highly publicised MCG infection* who then became infectious ~30hrs later. Contact tracers here in South Australia are now becoming worried about peoples movements the day immediately following exposure.

Mr Weimar said one of the people identified in the July 10 MCG cluster, a Trinity Grammar teacher, has also become a super-spreader of the virus, passing it on just 30 hours after he is thought to have picked it up.

“That’s not unheard of in the world, but much faster than anything we’ve seen in these previous outbreaks.”

If you want someone more scientific I found this: https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01986-w

In a preprint posted 12 July1, the researchers report that virus was first detectable in people with the Delta variant four days after exposure,compared with an average of six days among people with the original strain, suggesting that Delta replicates much faster. Individuals infected with Delta also had viral loads up to 1,260 times higher than those in people infected with the original strain.

That seems consistant with what the health authorities here are reporting - a pretty dramatic reduction in time to spread. You're obviously going to get a few outlier cases which can make the time from exposure to becoming infectious extremely rapid.

*I should clarify for people outside the commonwealth / non-cricket fans. The MCG is the Melbourne Cricket Ground - a sports stadium.

2 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

The numbers from the UK look better than expected for the last few days.

The amount of vaccinations has to favour the UK.  Its problem is that it removed restrictions last Monday.  So more pressure is on the way.

4 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The Marathon very likely being a very good candidate for likely medal winners not being vaccinated. Kenya (Kosgei and Kipchoge are both Kenyans and the heavy favorites for the marathons, if I am not mistaken) has a mere 1.2% of its population fully vaccinated.

I imagine that the very best athletes could get vaccinated if they truly wanted to.  But sure, your average Olympic athlete would struggle if not readily available in their country.

Anybody who can afford the trip to Tokyo should be able to get vaccinated. They certainly don't have trouble procuring ... other types of medication.

Got my second dose of Moderna this morning. Now two more weeks before I'll be officially vaccinated.

7 hours ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

The Marathon very likely being a very good candidate for likely medal winners not being vaccinated. Kenya (Kosgei and Kipchoge are both Kenyans and the heavy favorites for the marathons, if I am not mistaken) has a mere 1.2% of its population fully vaccinated. Altho I'd take the basic technology out of the equation. Nike fundamentally changed the game when they came up with those vaporfly shoes. There the non Nike athletes were properly pissed and talked about technology doping.

You can search for it yourself, as I don't want to derail this thread any further.

If you've more info - the olympics subbie would be appropriate and interesting.

1 hour ago, Loge said:

Anybody who can afford the trip to Tokyo should be able to get vaccinated. They certainly don't have trouble procuring ... other types of medication.

Got my second dose of Moderna this morning. Now two more weeks before I'll be officially vaccinated.

Fijian squad arrive in Tokyo - on a cargo plane... carrying frozen fish: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/300353198/fijis-olympic-stars-to-arrive-in-tokyo-on-a-cargo-plane-carrying-frozen-fish

3 hours ago, Loge said:

Anybody who can afford the trip to Tokyo should be able to get vaccinated. 

I doubt that.  Vaccines are generally free.

It is an access problem.  A lot of countries have still barely vaccinated anyone in their country.  And there is a huge difference between a medal contender in a major sport and your average competitor.

But sure, if you are American Olympian and are unvaccinated, one can draw other conclusions.  

6 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

The numbers from the UK look better than expected for the last few days.

Is the soccer peak over or is the pingdemic working? 

Hopefully that trend continues. 

I think part of it might well be the post-Euro final effect wearing off, it's noticeable how Scotland's numbers started to decline a couple of weeks before England's (assuming the English decline is sustained).

As Pod says it is too early to see any effect from the recent loosening of restrictions so we'll see what impact that has. I have seen some speculation that it might take some time to really see changes in behaviour since the people who have now stopped wearing masks now that they're no longer mandatory probably weren't wearing them properly anyway and people going to nightclubs now were probably meeting up with their friends in pubs beforehand.

Yesterday marked two weeks since my second shot. I suspect I’m not deriving as much comfort from that as people who hit that date earlier this year. But I plan to get a haircut today, if I can. What a celebration!

The microchip is having no apparent affect.

16 hours ago, Impmk2 said:

we're seeing cases where infected people have spread Delta inside 36hrs of their initial infection, rather than the >3 days for the other variants. That makes it extremely hard to contact trace as by the time you've got someone tested and their close contacts are in isolation, their contacts may have already become infectious and passed it on. Together with instances of outdoor spread it makes it far harder to get ahead of and contain.

Does it mean symptoms tend to appear earlier as well? If the pre-symptomatic phase is longer, then it's really bad. If it's the same as with original covid, then it's less terrible. Of course, it would be better if it mutated closer to SARS-1 on this matter and became infectious only at symptoms onset.

22 minutes ago, Loge said:

Your saying so proves that it works as it's supposed to.

Hush now you. It takes more time than that to turn the Bird into the next Manchurian Candidate. 

Also, have you gone 18 months without a proper haircut, @L'oiseau français? I got a fresh cut last night and feel like a professional European soccer player. I guess next time I bump into something I'm compelled to throw myself to the ground though and roll around for a while like I just got shot.....

21 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Hush now you. It takes more time than that to turn the Bird into the next Manchurian Candidate. 

Also, have you gone 18 months without a proper haircut, @L'oiseau français? I got a fresh cut last night and feel like a professional European soccer player. I guess next time I bump into something I'm compelled to throw myself to the ground though and roll around for a while like I just got shot.....

I got a trim last August or September, when we were down to single digits of new cases in the city. I still thought I wanted longer hair, but after two years of growing my hair longer I think I’ve had enough.

The drain in my bathtub had really slowed down last week, when I remembered that a couple of years ago I had bought one of those “mini snakes” you see advertised on tv. Cost $5.99 at Marshall’s! And two in the package! I’ve lived in this house for 30 years and have never had a blocked drain. I spent 45 minutes pulling out the ugliest, most disgusting clumps of hair out of the drain, something that happened, I suspect, because my hair is so much longer now. That was the last straw. I’ve already gotten tired of how long it takes to dry my hair.

Per Zeynep Tufekci, who has been a rare source of sober analysis -- typically well ahead of the curve, in terms of conventional wisdom (i.e. talking about air flow and transmission well over a year ago). It's time to have vaccine mandates. Personal responsibility is a requirement to exercise freedom -- our dysfunctional need to question, hesitate, and bristle at vaccine mandates and common sense masking continues to put individuals in danger. To hold on to our beliefs from January 2020 or even January 2021 (pre-Delta) is absolutely moronic -- we have learned more about the virus and we have witnessed it change and become *far* more infectious. We don't know what the future means and -- as the Great One says -- 'we have to skate to where the puck if going'.

We are going to need to re-establish our societal bonds and social responsibility if we want to -- 

1) End this pandemic

2) Avoid the next pandemic

3) Avoid resurgence of previously 'defeated' diseases -- i.e. measles, mumps, etc.

4) Address big issues like climate change*, refugees due to climate change/violence/etc., respond to rising authoritarians

*Limited or no water, unlivable heat, floods, wild fires, worse storms etc. 

Those that reflexively bristle at 'mandates' for common sense, scientifically supported collective good are going to be a bigger and bigger thorn in the side of humanity's future.

Archived