Covid #35: I am the Alpha and the Omega.

41 minutes ago, L'oiseau français said:

So tell us, our American friends, what are your days like? Do you go to work, do you dine out, to you go to clubs, do you wear masks when you are out?

Been at work for a long time and the standards at the hospital are shit for non-frontline workers. There's not much mask wearing there, and even less when you go out. I'll do outdoor eating, but that's about it. Going to a club these days seems like the dumbest shit imaginable. 

I'm not optimistic when you consider the rapid spread of Delta and Americans general selfishness. 

22 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Has any employer been sued yet for allowing non-vaccinated employees to come to work?

Good luck with that can of worms.

Continuing to work at at home. The end of June, July, we met friends in restaurants.  We quit that the last week of July.  We went to one indoor music venue and freaked right out and left -- nobody was wearing masks and it was packed.  We attended 3 outdoor music events, and even then felt uncomfortable enough to leave early on. We are continuing to buy our own groceries instead of having them delivered, but like anywhere inside, including libraries, go masked, go in and out as quickly as possible, as I request all my materials beforehand and get them when they're ready.  The nabe is mad with tourists and people from other parts of the city, and it's extremely noisy and smelly.  Some restaurants have though they could put another story on their plywood streatery covid shed.  That got shut down immediately.  They said, "I thought it was OK." In the meantime restaurants can't find anywhere near enough labor.

Even with all this, we are going upstate with pod partner to stay with a friend in his place for a few days, where I will sit by the pool, and stare at leaves and sky, in very deep quiet.

1 hour ago, L'oiseau français said:

So tell us, our American friends, what are your days like? Do you go to work, do you dine out, to you go to clubs, do you wear masks when you are out?

Pretty normal actually, probably the most normal since early 2020. I go to work when I feel like it, otherwise I work from home. Probably going to work from home more now because they just re-instated an indoor mask mandate for the campus buildings (imo this is probably a bit overkill since we have a vaccine mandate for all employees, faculty, and students). I've not been wearing a mask anywhere unless it's required by that specific place, and I've gone out to eat indoors a few times. Going on a trip in a couple weeks that will be my first time on a plane since January 2020!

4 hours ago, Chataya de Fleury said:

It’s already been said - death isn’t the worst thing that can happen.

Long covid and complete disability for someone aged 30 is, IMO, less terrible than someone who is 90 dying.

Everybody dies sometime. 

I agree that the death or disability of younger people is more shocking and a longer-term problem for them, their families and their countries. Even so, I can't help thinking that 90 year olds deserve the chance to die in their sleep rather than of the horrible effects of COVID.

3 hours ago, L'oiseau français said:

Never stopped wearing masks even when all the restrictions were lifted. I continue to wear them everywhere from the hallways of my apartment building and elevators to grocery stores.  Pretty much the only places I am not wearing one is when I am in my home or outside.  But I kind of love masks so this is no hardship.

I have started going into the office two days a week at two different locations.  One is completely empty and the other is fairly empty so I feel very safe in both places.  There is no requirement for me to do so, but I need the exercise and a change of scenery and access to a large scale printer and office supplies.

Regarding eating out and restaurants, I have started eating out at a few more places, once or twice a week, but only places that are typically not crowded and do spacing well and where the staff are wearing masks.  And I still bring my own silverware (honestly I might continue to do this forever for some places).

No clubs - not even my exercise clubs.  Still doing pilates and yoga on Zoom with my instructors every week.  No plans to go back in person anytime soon.  Not even going to my book club, which has started to meet in person again.

And I am every so thankful I opted (back in March) to teach this fall's law class on Zoom instead of in person!  I love teaching on Zoom and am glad to not have to go into a university building this fall.

I am going to continue to be a bit paranoid and overly cautious for the foreseeable future.  I now know 9 (NINE!) people who have had Covid in the past month and all were fully vaccinated.  Most just had mild symptoms but one had to be hospitalized (in Missouri).  Also, we have just had what will most likely prove to be a super spreader event in Chicago this weekend - Lollalapalooza - with like 390,000 people over 4 days crammed together so who knows what cases will be like in Chicago in the next few weeks.

I attended a festival myself this weekend.

Much smaller than Lollalapalooza obviously(20k over 3 days). The big festivals in Austria have been canceled because the Covid-19 rules are pretty much unenforceable at a larger scale.

It was a rather risky thing to do I admit. By far the most risky thing I did in the last year.

I'm usually someone who likes to get into the thick of things at such events but this time I stayed in less populated areas farther from the stage.

My certificate was checked a dozen times(+ID check) because in addition to checkpoints at the entrances to the festival area they had a checkpoint at the entrance to the area with the band stages(to filter people with tests that are too old out I guess because the rapid tests were only valid for 24 hours). 

I would not have done it if I had not been fully vaccinated and had not done a antibody test to see if the vaccine worked and if my partner(fully vaccinated too) was not ok with me taking that risk.

I have tested myself on the drive home and every day since. 

Very unwise I know but it felt really good I must admit. :/

Edit: I would not be surprised if I get a mail or text from the organizers that I should get tested though(which I'm doing anyway). 

Tyson Foods is going to require all employees to be vaccinated. The meatpacking industry has been hit hard by COVID outbreaks and at the moment, less than half of their employees have gotten the shot.  I hope this trend of companies stepping up to protect their own bottom line continues, as it could save a lot of lives. 

6 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

My certificate was checked a dozen times(+ID check) because in addition to checkpoints at the entrances to the festival area they had a checkpoint at the entrance to the area with the band stages(to filter people with tests that are too old out I guess because the rapid tests were only valid for 24 hours).  

Sounds like they were making an effort to do things right. I have a lot of issues with Lolla including how inconsistent with the requirements they were - from must have a negative test within 24 hours and then moved it out to 72 hours by the time it started.  Then you kept seeing reports of people getting through without having to show anything and of course the video of groups getting through downed portions of the gates without being checked.  And while the festival itself was outside, there were lots of inside components - i.e. the overcrowded underground indoors subway platforms where pictures showed hundreds of people packed together before and after the festival - none of whom were wearing masks - and masks are required here on the subways.  That and our very inconsistent mayor who was so obviously desperate for this event to happen despite everything she had said and done before regarding the numbers and restrictions.

The one picture from the festival that stood out was this one of this girl in the front row one day wearing a mask surrounded by thousands of people who were not wearing masks.  The photographer tracked her down and talked to her.  She is immunocompromised and can't get the vaccine.  She really wanted to attend.  I can totally understand her state of mind, I remember feeling that way about some things when I was that young.  But this is an instance where the risk was not warranted.

26 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Tyson Foods is going to require all employees to be vaccinated. The meatpacking industry has been hit hard by COVID outbreaks and at the moment, less than half of their employees have gotten the shot.  I hope this trend of companies stepping up to protect their own bottom line continues, as it could save a lot of lives. 

It's about time.

The ball is in big biz's court to act now and ramp up mandated vaxx if you want to work for us.

And it really is in their own interest. 

Our Safety Dept started re-requiring masks in their office Monday. Most of us believe the rest of the organization will be following suit pretty quickly and that every thing that was relaxed is going back into effect here in our workforce.

We've had a few restaurants and bars in DC notify the public that proof of vaccination or in some cases negative test within 48 hours is required for entry. I hope more and more places adopt this requirement. 

I started going into the office one day a week a few months ago just for a change of scenery. I ride the train two stops each way and generally everyone respects the federal mask mandate on public transportation though there are always a few who don't and while more people are riding the train it's still a far cry from the Before Time. Masks have been required in our facilities and continued to be even after easing of restrictions in DC. Curious if our hybrid re-entry plan is still on target for September, with a minimum of 2 days a week in the office. 

I'm on the fence about multiple tests a week for unvaccinated employees like the feds are suggesting. Unless people fine testing highly unpleasant you're not incentivizing anyone to get vaccinated and you're wasting resources and money on them. 

As far as day to day living, we follow local guidelines and now we mask up again inside stores etc, and our building. And because we're both vaccinated we downloaded our record to our phones should it ever be needed. We also installed the DC Covid app to alert us to possible exposure. I think it's even more important now for monitoring breakthrough infections etc.

I've never been tested this whole time and that doesn't really tell me anything, except that I've not had my sinuses jabbed. 

I'm happy to provide proof of vaccination. I just wish the vaccination card was a bit smaller so it could easily fit in my wallet. Right now I leave it home since I don't want to damage it and I've been assuming (and been correct so far at least) that no one would ask to see it.

15 hours ago, L'oiseau français said:

I’m still working from home (until September), we have not dined out, and we have continued to wear a mask in any public indoor location. Effectively we don’t go out much beyond essentials.  The exception is that our son has been doing a lot of squash practice in recent weeks, but he uses a court by himself.

I really want to go for a dental check-up and a routine medical check-up.  The former would be my largest COVID risk exposure and I’m procrastinating a bit to see if this delta surge makes it worth deferring.

7 minutes ago, lady narcissa said:

Sounds like they were making an effort to do things right. I have a lot of issues with Lolla including how inconsistent with the requirements they were - from must have a negative test within 24 hours and then moved it out to 72 hours by the time it started.  Then you kept seeing reports of people getting through without having to show anything and of course the video of groups getting through downed portions of the gates without being checked.  And while the festival itself was outside, there were lots of inside components - i.e. the overcrowded underground indoors subway platforms where pictures showed hundreds of people packed together before and after the festival - none of whom were wearing masks - and masks are required here on the subways.  That and our very inconsistent mayor who was so obviously desperate for this event to happen despite everything she had said and done before regarding the numbers and restrictions.

The one picture from the festival that stood out was this one of this girl in the front row one day wearing a mask surrounded by thousands of people who were not wearing masks.  The photographer tracked her down and talked to her.  She is immunocompromised and can't get the vaccine.  She really wanted to attend.  I can totally understand her state of mind, I remember feeling that way about some things when I was that young.  But this is an instance where the risk was not warranted.

That sucks.

They definitely made an effort. They did check pretty thoroughly I felt although.There were no real indoor areas just some tents.

Definitely too big a risk when you are much immunocompromised. But I definitely understand young people YOLOing better than the anti-vax crowd. 

It was nice to encounter lots of young people who got the vaccine asap I must say.

3 minutes ago, Fez said:

I'm happy to provide proof of vaccination. I just wish the vaccination card was a bit smaller so it could easily fit in my wallet. Right now I leave it home since I don't want to damage it and I've been assuming (and been correct so far at least) that no one would ask to see it.

We got a certificate for the phone with a QR code that diligent places can scan and double check with an ID.

I have been hearing lots of interviews with owners of small businesses and while they’re grateful many federal support programs have been extended until October, the summer is their Christmas, the time when they’re busiest. And they are not busy, because people across Canada are very wary and cautious. I don’t know anyone who is going out to eat, for example. As a matter of fact, I’m having dinner with a friend who’s up from the Bahamas. The restaurant has an open-air patio. If it rains I’m not setting foot inside, believe me. I wear masks everywhere I go.

Mind you, as I drive around the city I see people sitting in restaurants (many more outside) now, but the restaurants are definitely not full. My shopping is restricted to Costco, Walmart and a couple of different grocery stores.

17 hours ago, L'oiseau français said:

Still working from home, and will be for the rest of the year.  My department will reevaluate sometime next year whether we are allowed back in the office (right now it's not permitted at my site).  I haven't dined in at a restaurant since the beginning of the pandemic, but I'm OK with take out.  I also don't mind cooking at home, so this hasn't been a burden to me.

Even though I'm fully vaccinated, I still wear a mask when I go out for shopping, and like some others, I minimize my time indoors.  And it's not that I'm worried about getting infected at this stage, since I'm relatively young and vaccinated and healthy, but I feel obligated to do my part to reduce the risk of transmission of this virus until the pandemic is over.  If more people would just do this and really buckle down, we would be able to quickly get the infections numbers way down.  But there's just way too much noncompliance here and/or the rules and guidelines are too lax. 

Every time the numbers drop it's let's open everything up guys!  And predictably, the numbers spike right back up.  Drives me crazy.  And because it looks like Delta can infect a significant number of vaccinated people and that infected vaccinated people can spread the disease, you can't assume that once you are vaccinated you won't become a spreader.  And maybe some people think, well, that's not a big deal because if everyone just got vaccinated, they wouldn't be at risk even if they caught the virus, so that's on them.  Well, one problem with having a bunch of vaccinated people get infected is that it drives selection of variants that are resistant to the vaccines, and makes it more and more likely that our current vaccines will do jack shit if one of these vaccine resistant variants arises.  It's definitely not inevitable that this happens, but it becomes more and more likely the more people, especially the more vaccinated people, get infected.  

33 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

Drives me crazy.  And because it looks like Delta can infect a significant number of vaccinated people and that infected vaccinated people can spread the disease, you can't assume that once you are vaccinated you won't become a spreader.  And maybe some people think, well, that's not a big deal because if everyone just got vaccinated, they wouldn't be at risk even if they caught the virus, so that's on them.  Well, one problem with having a bunch of vaccinated people get infected is that it drives selection of variants that are resistant to the vaccines, and makes it more and more likely that our current vaccines will do jack shit if one of these vaccine resistant variants arises.  It's definitely not inevitable that this happens, but it becomes more and more likely the more people, especially the more vaccinated people, get infected.  

It's crazy that people and governments and even many so-called experts do not understand that. It's evolution on front of our eyes! and it can bite us on our backs at some point in the future. 

I think the message regarding vaccination has been completely wrong. Somehow authorities really believed that once the coverage hit a particular percentage the pandemic is at the end and we can go back to normal. It's like calling your earthquake-prone country earthquake-free because all your buildings are earthquake-proof. It doesn't work that way. Sorry.

The best we can expect with current measures is the vaccination coverage prevents the healthcare from being overwhelmed and hope (pray!) that no future variants will induce ADE or something similar with current immunization profiles.

BTW. The UK has provided an assessment on the possible evolution paths of SARS-CoV-2

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/long-term-evolution-of-sars-cov-2-26-july-2021

Three of the four scenarios are worth discussing

1) Variant with higher level of lethality (similar to SARS1 or MERS). Realistic possibility

2) Variants that completely evade vaccination: Realistic possibility

4) Evolution towards decreased severity. Only expected in the long term.

So my American life:

- work entirely from home. MS just announced that'll be the case here until October 4th at the earliest, and in addition to that anyone with kids who can't get vaccinated can WFH until January

- do only takeout/curbside food

- kids have been doing online school or homeschool

- no group activities for the kids - both have been unenrolled from gymnastics for 17 months

- minimal park/playground stuff - during weekdays, staying away from others in general

- no friend visits for most of us - oldest son (21) is just now starting to hang out with friends, but we may need to change that

- wear masks indoors at all times for all of us

-wear masks outdoors in somewhat crowded areas, including drive thrus 

Archived