Covid #35: I am the Alpha and the Omega.

Old thread past the 20 page mark. Boy those threads feel like they keeping pace with the US politics threads.

Anyway.

@Padraig I am not sure there's generally speaking that much reliable data out wrt to Sputnik. I don't fully trust the official Russian data. The vaccination rate in Russia is pretty low, and there were some issues with the Sputnik deliveries to Slovakia IIRC.

Looking at this map of US cases, there's a pretty clear North-South divide in the eastern half of the country. The good news is that the vaccine mostly works: although everyone is seeing increases, the numbers in the more vaccinated states are of order 2 cases per 100,000 people or less whereas in the less vaccinated states the are more than 5 and sometimes even more than 10 per 100,000.

The bad news is that we're pretty much stuck at roughly half the overall population having gotten the vaccine. There might be a small bump as young children are finally allowed to be vaccinated in the autumn, but for the most part, the people who don't have it now do not appear to be changing their minds. Worse, these people tend to cluster together resulting in local outbreaks which are largely unmitigated by vaccination.

On 7/16/2021 at 7:47 PM, Clueless Northman said:

Nobody had any problem when people were talking about the English/Kent variant back then, or if UK had a problem, nobody gave a damn, WHO included. It's only when that fool Modi screwed up that it became bad to call it "Indian variant".

The difference between your example and calling it the 'China virus' is the latter has to do with where the virus originated from; and people have a more visceral and illogical reaction to that and are more willing to cast blame. Regarding the UK and India there is much more leeway in that they arent ascribed blame but rather considered the victims of something that originated from somewhere else.

At any rate, as others have pointed out, anti-Asian sentiment rose in the US after Trump started to shift the blame elsewhere.

It's also inaccurate that the WHO didn't give a damn prior to the Delta varient. It's been their long standing advice not to name pathogens / strains / genes after places. It just wasn't widely reported in the media because... well it wasn't relevant to 99.9% of the population before now.

Per previous discussion about the medical community being more sensible than your average bear about vaccinations: 

The "the little-known group New Zealand Doctors Speaking Out on Science (NZDSOS)," is undermining confidence in the vaccines and spreading mis-information. The spokesperson doctor saying "Covid-19 vaccine roll-out was “indefensible in the light of science” and should be stopped as Covid-19 was “essentially an influenza-level illness in terms of death rates and who is hit hardest"."

The nuts thing about this is that even if COVID-19 is only a 'flu-level virus, we still need to have millions of people get vaccinated against the 'flu every year to keep the hospitalisation and deaths from 'flu down. So really that is a strong argument in favour of vaccination, not against it.

32 doctors, 100 nurses and 187 allied health professionals have signed an open letter casting doubt on the Covid-19 vaccine, published on the NZDSOS website in late April. As a proportion of doctors, nurses and "other allied health professionals" (is this the alt-medicine and crackpot healers who use crystals and the like?) it's a very small number (about 17,000 registered doctors in NZ). It is still disappointing to see. 

Also I am (probably) going in for the kill shot (the Coronavirus killing shot) today. I say probably because my wife is booked in for the shot and I am going as her "support" person. Most of the time they offer to vaccinate everyone who walks through the door, so I am hoping they will offer it to me. But it will be my luck that today of all days they will be meeting their vaccination target and are not doing any walk-ins. My son got the shot as a walk-in when taking his girlfriend to get her second shot, so I know they definitely do it.

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Per previous discussion about the medical community being more sensible than your average bear about vaccinations: 

The "the little-known group New Zealand Doctors Speaking Out on Science (NZDSOS)," is undermining confidence in the vaccines and spreading mis-information. The spokesperson doctor saying "Covid-19 vaccine roll-out was “indefensible in the light of science” and should be stopped as Covid-19 was “essentially an influenza-level illness in terms of death rates and who is hit hardest"."

The nuts thing about this is that even if COVID-19 is only a 'flu-level virus, we still need to have millions of people get vaccinated against the 'flu every year to keep the hospitalisation and deaths from 'flu down. So really that is a strong argument in favour of vaccination, not against it.

32 doctors, 100 nurses and 187 allied health professionals have signed an open letter casting doubt on the Covid-19 vaccine, published on the NZDSOS website in late April. As a proportion of doctors, nurses and "other allied health professionals" (is this the alt-medicine and crackpot healers who use crystals and the like?) it's a very small number (about 17,000 registered doctors in NZ). It is still disappointing to see. 

Also I am (probably) going in for the kill shot (the Coronavirus killing shot) today. I say probably because my wife is booked in for the shot and I am going as her "support" person. Most of the time they offer to vaccinate everyone who walks through the door, so I am hoping they will offer it to me. But it will be my luck that today of all days they will be meeting their vaccination target and are not doing any walk-ins. My son got the shot as a walk-in when taking his girlfriend to get her second shot, so I know they definitely do it.

Good luck with getting your shot!

I really can't understand the flu-like argument which always seems to miss the point that even if it were accurate, COVID cases would be in addition to the flu cases and have a devastating effect on the community and health system. The Sydney Delta outbreak is showing that even young and middle-aged people are ending up in hospital and ICU, so flu-like isn't really cutting it.

It must be very disappointing to see this kind of misinformation  coming from so-called medical professionals. I don't think we've seen that so much in Australia yet - most bullshit seems to be coming from RWNJ's, including some in parliament, and unhinged 'wellness' advocates.

The arm is feeling a teeny bit sore, but not even as much as someone with not a lot of strength having punched me in the arm. How long until "'flu-like" symptoms are likely to arise? Immediate side effects are of an allergic nature, but I assume immunity generating response side effects take at least a day or more to kick in.

Some US people are starting to all COVID-19 the Republican disease because the "two Americas" i.e. the vaccinated America and the unvaccinated America appears to be pretty neatly split on party lines. Or rather there are vaccinated Republicans and vaccinated Democrats and independents. But there are few unvaccinated independents and Democrats who plan to stay that way, but a lot of unvaccinated Republicans who say they plan to never get vaccinated.

If that is the case, then there is probably a decent chance that some places, and maybe entire states might reach herd immunity through vaccination, whereas other places / states will only get there via infection.

1 minute ago, The Anti-Targ said:

The arm is feeling a teeny bit sore, but not even as much as someone with not a lot of strength having punched me in the arm. How long until "'flu-like" symptoms are likely to arise? Immediate side effects are of an allergic nature, but I assume immunity generating response side effects take at least a day or more to kick in.

I think most people say the side effects kick in 7 or 8 hours after the shot and last anywhere from a day to two days, a day and a half on average. Good luck!

Korea tested military personnel on their anti-piracy ships and discovered 82% were infected with Covid-19. The Korean stock market has fallen on the news.

And I just heard that only 80% of the athletes arriving in Japan for the Olympics are vaccinated. No wonder they have cases.

I'm guessing a few more athletes will be sent home for testing positive for COVID-19 before this games is done, perhaps even before it starts.

I'm feeling a bit head-achy, but I wonder if it's psychosomatic. I am the kind of person who if I hear someone say head-lice or ringworm my head suddenly starts to get itchy... there it goes.

3 hours ago, L'oiseau français said:

Korea tested military personnel on their anti-piracy ships and discovered 82% were infected with Covid-19. The Korean stock market has fallen on the news.

And I just heard that only 80% of the athletes arriving in Japan for the Olympics are vaccinated. No wonder they have cases.

I should have enrolled for olympics. At the rate they’re having to isolate, I’d be boubd to win something

2 hours ago, Luzifer's right hand said:

I forgot my mask on the way to the shop. First time in more than a year.

I had a reserve mask with me but I guess I'm way more relaxed now as I got my 2nd shot about two weeks ago. 

Just remember that you may not get sick, but you can still be infected and contagious, even if to a lesser degree. We wear masks to protect others from becoming infected by us.

9:45

2 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Just remember that you may not get sick, but you can still be infected and contagious, even if to a lesser degree. We wear masks to protect others from becoming infected by us.

9:45

I did wear the mask.

It is just found it interesting that I'm now relaxed enough that it forgot about it while leaving my home and had to use the backup mask.

13 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jul/17/covid-misinformation-conspiracy-theories-ccdh-report

A sub-stacker suggests calling Delta the "Murdoch Variant" due to Faux shoving anti-vax, anti-mask, and pro Covid unreality and insanity on the viewers -- all for the sake of profit and nothing else.  Murdoch actually even hates tRump, but he does, as the old saying goes, love money more.

They are all related, along with increasing violence, at least here in the USA.  Just this morning in Tucson, for a single example, a guy with a gun just started shooting at an ambulance team, then went on to find a team of firefighters working and shot them up too, before being subdued.  Do not tell me this isn't an unhinged person.

I was in southern Michigan this weekend and what a huge contrast to Chicago.  Hardly anyone was wearing masks anywhere.  The only people I saw were a few workers at a fast food restaurant but even then they were chin wearing them at best.  The county I was in is apparently one of the worst in the state for vaccinations.  So I will not be surprised when cases go up there in the imminent future.  I kept my mask on and stayed far away from everyone!

Meanwhile two of my cousins just came down with the Delta variety of Covid.  One is in Chicago and the other in Boston.  Both are doctors.  Both were vaccinated in early winter.  Both are extremely careful and hand washing mask wearing sorts.  But none the less they got it, that's how easy it is. 

As for those, here and elsewhere, who keep poo-pooing danger and effects thereof to the 'average' person' -- maybe losing money directly due to Delta and refusal to vaccinate, or observe any of the protections, including eschewing indoor gatherings of everything from clubbing to birthday parties -- maybe that will get them to understand?  But probably not.  It's a cult.  A death cult.  Certainly it is here in the US.  They want to bring it all down because women get abortions and have the right to have sex only with people they want to have sex with.  And slavery isn't allowed. Clearly it's the end of the world, so let's bring it on sooner rather than next week!  Got me my gunz and will show ya all my freedum!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/investing/dow-stock-market-today/index.html

5 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I was in southern Michigan this weekend and what a huge contrast to Chicago.  Hardly anyone was wearing masks anywhere.  The only people I saw were a few workers at a fast food restaurant but even then they were chin wearing them at best.  The county I was in is apparently one of the worst in the state for vaccinations.  So I will not be surprised when cases go up there in the imminent future.  I kept my mask on and stayed far away from everyone!

Meanwhile two of my cousins just came down with the Delta variety of Covid.  One is in Chicago and the other in Boston.  Both are doctors.  Both were vaccinated in early winter.  Both are extremely careful and hand washing mask wearing sorts.  But none the less they got it, that's how easy it is. 

As mentioned previously. Wearing a mask is only slightly protective of getting COVID infection. If the person they caught the virus off was swanning around maskless they were at a high chance of becoming infected even with the OG strain of the virus. Conscientious people who wear masks are not really getting the benefit of their actions. If people want to wear something to prevent getting infected it needs to be a mask and face shield, but who is going to wear that when going out an about?

7 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

With collectively 59 million followers there is a great incentive on these social media platforms to not deplatform these people. And of course that digital communications act completely absolves platform owners from any legal responsibility. So deplatforming such people comes down to a business decision: are profits harmed more if the people are removed or if they are allowed to remain?

We've moved on from people competing in the free market of ideas to just people competing for value as a source of profit to the market.

Archived