Olympic Rugby 7s

The one thing that always baffles me about Rugby 7s is that it might be the only sport where the tournament rules change for the final match. Every game leading up to that final is played to 14mins (2x 7min periods), then in the final that time increases by about 50% to 20minutes (2x 10 min periods). Team strategies for the tournament come down to player management, minimising attrition and fatigue, and in-game strategy during the tournament (due to time management) favours getting points on the board and guarding any lead (best done by keeping possession and adding to that lead). Once a team gets to the final, that strategy can't be the same since there is now 50% more time to play with increased chance of a comeback or a blowout. 

That said the level of competition in Rugby 7s is evening up. The usual suspects who have dominated the World Rugby 7s circuit in recent years have raised all boats competing in the circuit - fantastic. There are favourites, I'd still favour Fiji for the men's gold, its such an important sport for the people of Fiji, but there are serious contenders for all medals, in both men and women divisions, from a range of nations.

First session of the Men's over. I missed the opener between Fiji & Japan, will have to find a replay of it as from the final score there was only try in it. Caught the last two games. South Africa looks very good and they've developed their kicking game using the full width of the field. Also, their conversions are on the mark. The final game of the session though was great - USA only just coming away with the win over the spirited Kenyans. The US defence is looking determined, they could go deep into the tournament. Kenya vs SA should be good later this afternoon.  

UK viewers:

Just in case anyone set this to record - it was supposed to be on the red button (if at all) - but wasn't.

2Hr 30min into the BBC1 feed (also available on iPlayer) (341 minutes, starting at 10.25pm)

ETA: Okay, coverage is terrible; even when there's not a lot on. The above showed Fiji vs Japan and GB vs Can; before switching to the same sport the red button was showing.

As far as I've been able to find, they didn't bother showing a single match from the 2nd round of matches; just the highlights of GB vs Japan

Grrrrr

Fantastic quarter-final game between GBR and USA.

I like how the commentators these past couple days are always apologizing for the foul language when cameras & microphones get in on the team huddles.

As an event, the 7s is tailor made for stadium viewing as there will be playoff games for each position from 1st through to 12th.

22 minutes ago, ithanos said:

Fantastic quarter-final game between GBR and USA.

I like how the commentators these past couple days are always apologizing for the foul language when cameras & microphones get in on the team huddles.

As an event, the 7s is tailor made for stadium viewing as there will be playoff games for each position from 1st through to 12th.

Only had it on in the background but that was some comeback. 

Ok I managed to find a replay of the quarters, which wasn't easy, really good game between GB and the US and fantastic game between the Argentina and the Blitzbokke. Great comeback for GB from being so far behind but they do have a pretty odd looking side, it's strange to see a sevens side anymore that don't have 4 or 5 quasi backrows in the team. Argentina winning while playing so long down to 6 players was amazing.

Having said all that Fiji look pretty nailed on to win another gold.

Bronze medal match underway between GBR and Argentina. This kid Marcos Moneta has shown a clean pair of heels whenever he's given the chance.

After that quarter-final yesterday, at one time playing 5 against 7, that was well deserved. well done Argentina!

No real surprise to see Fiji coming away with a gold medal. There’s such a talent gap between them and everyone else. New Zealand did well to stay in touch for most of the game but it always felt like they were hanging on by their fingernails.

Well deserved there for Fiji. the two best teams at the tournament meeting in the final. The teams already knew each other's form from the warm-up tournament a couple months ago. Well coached by Gareth Baber.

As a spectacle, some fantastic games over the last couple days. Replay the tournament 10 times and you'd likely have Fiji in that final every time, with NZ making it half of those times, and any one of 5 nations (SA, GBR, ARG, USA or AUS) making it to the final.   

First day of the Women's tournament. The morning session had some predictable results and one good contest between ROC (Russia) and GBR. Then a more competitive second session where GBR gave NZ a decent scare, going 21 points up before being run down in the second half. AUS and NZ still look favourites to meet in the final but its no certainty as the chasing pack of GBR, USA (who showed an appetite for bruising defence in their games), FRA and dark horse ROC may cause an upset. There's definitely no lack of skill - thanks to improved coaching and the World Rugby 7's Circuit providing the nurturing ground. Some of the tackles today have been bruising. All very entertaining, looking forward to the final day tomorrow.   

Wow, what a boil-over, bruising game. USA over AUS. I thought the starting tactic by the USA was completely wrong, trying to tire the Aussies by going width to width to width, but geez did that pay off in the end as the Aussies began to tire in the second half.

Lightning strikes too close to the stadium has forced rescheduling of the remaining semi-final fixtures, after NZ comfortably beat ROC in the first semi-final. The loss to USA for Australia in the pool stage has really changed the complexion of this tournament as USA went on to top their pool leaving AUS on the same side of the draw as NZ. 

If AUS beat Fiji which is the most likely outcome then they should meet NZ in one of tomorrow's semi-finals, however given the emotion that the Fiji men's played with, with what is happening back home, I wouldn't count the women out.

That leaves GBR vs USA and then FRA vs CHN to sort out the other semi-final. France should be too good for China as they've impressed in every game (actually they were easily the best coming through the repechage held earlier this year i wondered how they ended up there in the first place). GBR vs USA should be a cracker, I would give it to the US with their confronting style but it may come down to attrition. 

7 minutes ago, ithanos said:

If AUS beat Fiji which is the most likely outcome then they should meet NZ in one of tomorrow's semi-finals, however given the emotion that the Fiji men's played with, with what is happening back home, I wouldn't count the women out.

And it's an absolutely brilliant match.

USA v France should be a real cracker too; I'd expect NZ to have (far) too much for Fiji though

Archived