Olympic Rugby 7s

Wow i missed the AUS v FIJ game but will catch the the on-demand replay soon.

GBR, the speed of play in that first half! USA caught in the headlights. Not the way I was expecting it to go, USA just not playing to their strength - or rather not being allowed to play to their strength by GBR. Very smart from GBR, I wonder if the US team, buoyed from the pool games, weren't a little complacent heading into this game.

I'm not even going tip the final semi, I'll just watch it and enjoy :)

1 minute ago, Which Tyler said:

Well that was an awkward interview "We're known for being a bit soft, but we've risen up, and we're hard now, not soft at all; even though we're probably smaller than any of the other nations"

:lol: I think there's been a couple other interviews that have been just as awkward. They would be the smallest bar the Japanese team. 

9 minutes ago, ithanos said:

:lol: I think there's been a couple other interviews that have been just as awkward. They would be the smallest bar the Japanese team. 

It's also rugby - there was nothing accidental in the wording there

Fiji v GBR battling for Bronze.
GBR paying catch up again. Just a score in it at the half.
How could the Fiji women so mirror the style of their men's team? It must be in their DNA. 

Fiji too determined in the end, good win for them.

I've struggled to watch much of the Women's Sevens but Fiji look impressive, they do look a lot like their men's side. I'm surprised they haven't been more successful in the past. GB's basics have been a bit disappointing, they've had a lot of possession in good positions but haven't taken their chances due to the passing being a bit off. The problems with the sevens set up over the last couple of years probably haven't helped I suppose.

You'd think New Zealand would be strong favourites for the final. I'm a little surprised not to see Australia in the final stages after looking so good last time.

Quite honestly, I'm happy enough losing to Fiji - they've come on leaps and bounds since Rio; and hopefully the ladies will be able to take it as seriously as the men do, going forwards. Fiji's 3rd ever olympic medal, their first women's medal...

and now...
Allez Les Bleues!

28 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I've struggled to watch much of the Women's Sevens but Fiji look impressive, they do look a lot like their men's side. I'm surprised they haven't been more successful in the past. GB's basics have been a bit disappointing, they've had a lot of possession in good positions but haven't taken their chances due to the passing being a bit off. The problems with the sevens set up over the last couple of years probably haven't helped I suppose.

You'd think New Zealand would be strong favourites for the final. I'm a little surprised not to see Australia in the final stages after looking so good last time.

The Oceania 7's, which was held in QLD, Australia a couple months back, was in retrospect a good gauge of how the teams would track in this tournament. The Fiji men's were tracking ahead of NZ and both had the wood on the Aussie men. In the women's, NZ were clearly on top but what was surprising was how close the Fiji women had run the Aus team. Given the Covid strife Fiji are in at the moment that emotion has clearly carried through and NZ were barely fortunate to win that semi-final.  

France v NZ for the Gold/Silver.
NZ would be favourites but only just, as this French team looks pretty dangerous, very balanced athletically, able to compete in the heavy contact and with outstaning flyers like Okembe and Ciofani out wide. They also have shown a smart kicking game when the field opens up. NZ have shown they play to the very last second and they may need to again.

As a tournament, I've enjoyed the women's category more than the men's, because the competition has been tight - just look at the final placings of AUS, USA and Canada who were serious medal contenders. China and ROC proving competitive in all their games. The skill level displayed across the entire category is as good what you'll see in the men's, kudos again goes to having a regular international platform like the World Rugby 7's circuit to develop the game. Some fantastically close games, and more pleasing to see is the development of 'Rugby Nous' amongst several players from emerging nations.    

Gold / Silver:    TBD  France v NZ
Bronze:    Fiji
4th:    GBR
5th:    Australia
6th:    USA
7th:    China
8th:    ROC
9th    Canada
10th    Kenya
11th    Brazil
12th    Japan

That first half was a bit of an anti-climax if your not a NZ supporter, but NZ just too clinical at the breakdown. Deserved win in the end. Well earned Silver for France.  Fiji, the nation has only ever had 3 medals in the Olympics - all in 7's. The men's Gold in Rio, the men's Gold the other day and now the Bronze for their women's team.  

Archived