HBO's The Last of Us to cost $13 million per episode, may be more expensive than GoT

psynetik123

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/streaming/hbos-the-last-of-us-is-one-of-the-most-expensive-shows-ever-made/news-story/7714e564993ac353bbc10f70baa43b4d

Move over, Game of Thrones: HBO has a new, mind-blowing, budget-dominating prestige TV show.

In a recent Alberta CTV news story discussing the ongoing filming of popular video game turned TV series, The Last of Us, people have noticed one key detail – the massive budget for the series.

The video game adaptation will apparently cost more than $13 million per episode, with a total budget in the hundreds of millions, IATSE (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees) Alberta president Damian Petti said.

“This project well exceeds the eight figure per episode mark,” Mr Petti said. “So there is a multiplier effect on our economy in terms of its impact. There are hundreds of related businesses benefiting from the plethora of work.”

This gargantuan budget will place the series high up on the list of most expensive TV shows ever made, which HBO seems to dominate, having shows like Game of Thrones and The Pacific on the list.

Also worth mentioning, Merle Dandridge and Jeffrey Pierce, who played Marlene and Tommy respectively in the original video game, will both be appearing in the TV show, with Merle reprising her role and Jeffrey playing a different character. Both Neil Druckmann and Gustavo Santaolalla, writer and composer of the original video game respectively, are also working on the show.

I wouldn't be surprised by a $13 million per episode budget. That said, given that the news story is from Alberta, Canada and quotes Canadian folks, I wonder if it might not be $13 million CAD, not USD. In USD, that'd be just over $10 million USD.

I don't know if this is the referenced article (there's no hyperlink in the Aus. article), but this one includes the "eight figure" quote but not the "$13 mil" quote.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/don-s-barber-shop-ready-for-its-closeup-as-hbo-s-the-last-of-us-prepares-for-filming-in-southern-alberta-1.5507972

The article mentions GoT budgets up to $20 mil per episode. I thought I'd read $15 mil but whatever. The final season would have also used considerable physical and digital assets from previous seasons. Without that it likely would have been much more.

Supposedly The Mandalorian was $15 mil per episode. Wandavison and Falcon & The Winter Soldier were both upwards of $25 million per episode. 

Buy merchandise you bastards.

10 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I don't know if this is the referenced article (there's no hyperlink in the Aus. article), but this one includes the "eight figure" quote but not the "$13 mil" quote.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/don-s-barber-shop-ready-for-its-closeup-as-hbo-s-the-last-of-us-prepares-for-filming-in-southern-alberta-1.5507972

The article mentions GoT budgets up to $20 mil per episode. I thought I'd read $15 mil but whatever. The final season would have also used considerable physical and digital assets from previous seasons. Without that it likely would have been much more.

Supposedly The Mandalorian was $15 mil per episode. Wandavison and Falcon & The Winter Soldier were both upwards of $25 million per episode. 

Buy merchandise you bastards.

GoT officially never exceeded $17 million per episode ($16.6 million was a figure given for Season 8), but it's known that HBO basically gave the production team a blank cheque for the final two seasons and they paid whatever for it, so there's certainly scope for more than that. HBO also went mental with the marketing for the show, probably more than any other TV show before.

Loki's budget is also in the $25 million per episode range, and since it was renewed for a second season (unlike the other two), it's now officially the most expensive ongoing TV show of all time, a record it will hold for a scant few months until Lord of the Rings blows it out of the water (the floor budget of LotR is at least $29 million per episode, but some reports suggest that once other costs are factored in, including several mega-expensive sets they're hoping to use to dissipate the costs of future seasons, it's closer to twice that).

...And Netflix spent $200 mil on 8 episodes of Jupiter's Legacy. Oof.

Edit: the original LOTR films had claimed budgets of around $100 mil each. Part of that was a favorable exchange rate, part of it was that they shot those moves back-to-back-to-back. For comparison, Avengers Endgame and infinity War had combined production budgets of around $650 mil.

Archived