College Football 2021-22: Spinning up the Conference Carousel

Rhom

2 hours ago, Kalsandra said:

And that sucked that they didn't get a chance! Let's not excuse making shitty decisions because we previously made shitty decisions!

Would you have bet on them against Bama or Clemson that year +28?

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Would you have bet on them against Bama or Clemson that year +28?

As opposed to what - Washington getting shut out or whatever happened to the big 10?

Thats the dirty secret - most years there is really not more than 2 great teams. So who cares if a shitty oklahoma doesn't get crushed by Georgia? 

You have to have some way of letting the non p5 teams in. 

1 hour ago, Kalsandra said:

Thats the dirty secret - most years there is really not more than 2 great teams.

This is my issue with expansion of the CFP.  While I get the argument of giving others a chance.  The reality is that at most there are three teams that can realistically win.  Arguing over what two or even three loss team is eighth or ninth is just a waste of breath.

Whats worse is that it really cheapens the regular season.  Bama losing to aTm may have ended their season even though I believe they are the second best team by a mile.  But that’s what is great.  Show up every week or the season is over.  It’s not enough to get hot for a couple weeks.

2 hours ago, Kalsandra said:

As opposed to what - Washington getting shut out or whatever happened to the big 10?

Thats the dirty secret - most years there is really not more than 2 great teams. So who cares if a shitty oklahoma doesn't get crushed by Georgia? 

You have to have some way of letting the non p5 teams in. 

Expand the playoffs, simple as that. I like eight teams better than 12, collapse the p5 into the p4, give each champ an automatic bid, along with the top now p4 team and then leave the three remaining slots for whoever is left and most deserving regardless of conference. 

44 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Expand the playoffs, simple as that. I like eight teams better than 12, collapse the p5 into the p4, give each champ an automatic bid, along with the top now p4 team and then leave the three remaining slots for whoever is left and most deserving regardless of conference. 

Why make it a P4?  I’m still of the opinion that the reconstituted BIGXII is still better than the PAC12.

Just now, Rhom said:

Why make it a P4?  I’m still of the opinion that the reconstituted BIGXII is still better than the PAC12.

The one without texas and oklahoma? Let me know when any of those teams actually beat Ohio state or Wisconsin. 

I mean yeah, the PAC has been doing not great nationally, but they're a hell of a lot more consistent then the skeletal remains of that division, and have significantly better results consistently in multiple sports. 

Anyway, expand playoffs sure, whatever, fine. But we haven't yet. So until we do undefeated nonpower confs which played at least a few p5 teams should make it in. 

8 hours ago, Kalsandra said:

The one without texas and oklahoma? Let me know when any of those teams actually beat Ohio state or Wisconsin. 

I mean yeah, the PAC has been doing not great nationally, but they're a hell of a lot more consistent then the skeletal remains of that division, and have significantly better results consistently in multiple sports. 

Anyway, expand playoffs sure, whatever, fine. But we haven't yet. So until we do undefeated nonpower confs which played at least a few p5 teams should make it in. 

Yeah.  The one without Texas and Oklahoma.  Look at the top of the new Big XII

Cincinnati
Oklahoma State
BYU
Houston
Iowa State
Baylor

I'd certainly take that this year over 

Oregon
Oregon State
Washington State
Arizona State
Utah
UCLA

And yes, the PAC12 is traditionally consistent in multiple sports; but lets acknowledge that all that matters here is Football and to a much lesser extent, Men's Basketball.  And FWIW; I think the new BIG XII has a legit claim as maybe the second best basketball conference.  So yeah, everyone wrote off the BIG XII after Texas and Oklahoma announced their departure; but I really do think they picked themselves up well. 

Personally, I kinda wish they had gone for Memphis instead of UCF; but that's probably my basketball fan self talking.  Getting into Florida markets was obviously a better move than west Tennessee.

15 hours ago, Kalsandra said:

If they're undefeated thats enough of a resume. It always has been. I doubt seriously that they're even one of the top 10 teams in the country, but it doesn't matter. Undefeated means they should go in. 

That said Ohio state or Wisconsin is almost certainly going to go in, so the point is largely moot. 

Wisconsin? I'd say that was a typo but it's a nine letter typo! 

So around here it's house divided week. Michigan vs MSU, time for Michigans inevitable let down and flaws get exposed game. Flaws being they can't pass to save their lives and they give up a lot of chunk plays on defense. Can't tell you how many times I've seen wide open receivers that the opposing QB didn't see.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

Yeah.  The one without Texas and Oklahoma.  Look at the top of the new Big XII

Cincinnati
Oklahoma State
BYU
Houston
Iowa State
Baylor

I'd certainly take that this year over 

Oregon
Oregon State
Washington State
Arizona State
Utah
UCLA

And yes, the PAC12 is traditionally consistent in multiple sports; but lets acknowledge that all that matters here is Football and to a much lesser extent, Men's Basketball.  And FWIW; I think the new BIG XII has a legit claim as maybe the second best basketball conference.  So yeah, everyone wrote off the BIG XII after Texas and Oklahoma announced their departure; but I really do think they picked themselves up well. 

Personally, I kinda wish they had gone for Memphis instead of UCF; but that's probably my basketball fan self talking.  Getting into Florida markets was obviously a better move than west Tennessee.

This year? Maybe. 

In general? For the last 5 years? Please. 

Well that was another predictable Michigan loss. Same things showed up this week, not ready and lined up on defense, our QB missing open receivers for big gains and giving up big plays.  I will say they got screwed on the strip sack fumble recovery for a td. It was originally called a td then over turned and the wasn't clear indisputable evidence to do so. If anything it confirmed it because you could see the ball come loose as soon as he was hit. Then on final play there was pass int not called.  Michigan still deserved to lose but dammit.

Michigan left a lot of points on the board today and lost by 4.

1 hour ago, Babblebauble said:

Jim needs to come back to the big show. Work with professionals again.

Eh, I think the last 10-15 years have shown he's only good when he has a great QB in Luck and Kaep. Absent that he has just been

Archived