College Football 2021-22: Spinning up the Conference Carousel

Rhom

39 minutes ago, HokieStone said:

...and on to the coaching carousel we go...wheeeeeeeeeeeee

Its going to be an excited ride... I never thought Mullens' job would be in jeopardy at Florida, but it looks iffier every day.

All kinds of names being thrown around to replace Fuente at VT.  The three most popular seem to be Billy Napier, Dave Clawson and Jamie Chadwell.  One that some people are throwing out is Charles Huff the current Marshall coach, but he's only been a head coach for less than a year.  Record is so-so, but people love how he presents himself, his experience at both Alabama and Penn State (where he stole recruits away from VT), and his Virginia connections (grew up in the DMV, and as mentioned recruited Virginia for Penn St.)  Another name that keep creeping in his Hugh Freeze, just up the road at Liberty.  But I suspect his baggage is a little too much.

A few other names as well...but every name seems to have pros and cons.  There doesn't seem to be a clear favorite among fans...so any hire will get some backlash.  But...Fuente was pretty much universally considered a home run hire...and that didn't work out so well.

Mullen out the door in Gainesville following an awful display of coaching at Mizzou last night. 

On 11/17/2021 at 2:45 PM, HokieStone said:

All kinds of names being thrown around to replace Fuente at VT.  The three most popular seem to be Billy Napier, Dave Clawson and Jamie Chadwell.  One that some people are throwing out is Charles Huff the current Marshall coach, but he's only been a head coach for less than a year.  Record is so-so, but people love how he presents himself, his experience at both Alabama and Penn State (where he stole recruits away from VT), and his Virginia connections (grew up in the DMV, and as mentioned recruited Virginia for Penn St.)  Another name that keep creeping in his Hugh Freeze, just up the road at Liberty.  But I suspect his baggage is a little too much.

Napier would be a great choice. You definitely don't want Freeze, for any number of reasons. 

3 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I think Mullen would be a good fit at VT if he decides not to go to the booth.

Well our boards are chattering about him now - he's done reasonably well before this season, and the ACC Coastal would be a bit easier than the SEC East...lol.

Don't know if our AD is already too far along in the process though.

I don't watch every Iron Bowl but when I do, it never disappoints.

Edit: though the game has been a little sloppy with some of the penalties. Was hoping Auburn would hang in there and keep the lead in the final minute.

Edit 2: oof.. Heartbreaker for Auburn. At least they didn't have NC aspirations this season I suppose.

It’s really looking like if all the championships go the way they are expected ( :lol: ) then the playoffs could be Georgia, Michigan, Cincy, and Notre Dame.

Jeez… if that happens.  Just go ahead and FedEx that trophy down to Athens.

Our coaches tried to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory by rotating QBs today, and taking out our starting QB who can actually throw (the backup is simply a battering ram) - and also taking out our starting RB who was gashing the Wahoos for 5+ yards a run.  Up by 5 with 3 minutes to go (just after stopping UVa on downs), they sub in the battering ram...who promptly fumbled.

UVa drives down the field to the 10 yard line...where their coaches promptly out-dumb ours, but trying some reverse pass to an offensive lineman, for a loss of 7 or 8 yards.  One more desperation pass to the endzone which we batted down, and at least we beat the pathetic Hoos...again.  Makes us both 6-6, but I guess we can claim we're the least sucky team in Virginia (no, Liberty doesn't count). 

And now we wait for whatever terrible bowl we're assigned to...and the announcement of the next head coach.  Lots of smoke this morning that indicated we were close to signing Matt Campbell...but this evening that seems to have cooled off.  So...we'll see...

47 minutes ago, Rhom said:

It’s really looking like if all the championships go the way they are expected ( :lol: ) then the playoffs could be Georgia, Michigan, Cincy, and Notre Dame.

Jeez… if that happens.  Just go ahead and FedEx that trophy down to Athens.

It will still be a nice diversion from the Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson trifecta.

Pretty sure OK State is ahead of Notre Dame if OSU wins next week.  A one loss Big 12 champ is going in ahead of a one loss Notre Dame with no real quality wins.  Notre Dame is hoping one of Michigan/OSU/Cincy lose, otherwise they're in the 5 spot. 

If Alabama loses to Georgia (even close) they'll be behind Michigan, Notre Dame, OSU and Cincy if those teams win.  So if they're going to make the playoff as a two loss squad, they need two of those teams to lose.  Notre Dame is done, so they need two of three of Michigan, OSU and Cincy to lose.  Not expecting that to happen, although Michigan and OSU do have a bad habit of coming up short in recent years, so I can't say it's impossible. 

2 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Pretty sure OK State is ahead of Notre Dame if OSU wins next week.  A one loss Big 12 champ is going in ahead of a one loss Notre Dame with no real quality wins.  Notre Dame is hoping one of Michigan/OSU/Cincy lose, otherwise they're in the 5 spot. 

If Alabama loses to Georgia (even close) they'll be behind Michigan, Notre Dame, OSU and Cincy if those teams win.  So if they're going to make the playoff as a two loss squad, they need two of those teams to lose.  Notre Dame is done, so they need two of three of Michigan, OSU and Cincy to lose.  Not expecting that to happen, although Michigan and OSU do have a bad habit of coming up short in recent years, so I can't say it's impossible. 

I think this is entirely rational and reasonable and also ignores the history of shitty selections by the CFP. 

Yesterday during his post game presser; a reporter began to ask Riley about rumors.  Riley cut him off abruptly and said “I’m not going to be the next head coach at LSU.”

Today, Riley is announced as the new head coach at USC.

Ive seen some great deflections from coaches over the years… but that one deserves a slow clap.

Archived