College Football 2021-22: Spinning up the Conference Carousel

Rhom

Also; let me just say… anyone who looked at an 8-3 record in the SEC vs a 6-5 record in the ACC and decided to make the ACC team a three point favorite needs their head examined.

52-21 and it wasn’t that close.

I would be delighted with Georgia/Michigan/Cincy/OSU.  If we swap in Notre Dame for one of them that is less good, but still well above historical average. 

The real nightmare scenario at this point is MI/Cincy/OSU all winning and Alabama beating Georgia.  Because even though Georgia really hasn't beaten anyone particularly good this year (10-3 over Clemson is probably their best win), the narrative that Georgia is unstoppable will almost assuredly mean that both GA and Bama get in.  Don't know if it would be Cincy or OSU getting bumped, but either way it would suck. 

Been lurking over at an Oklahoma message board just to see if fans are talking about stealing the Stoops who wears blue... most of them haven't moved on from the shock of Riley leaving to start discussing the next coach.

My favorite comment was this one:

Kiffin text Sarkisian "did you hear Saban is getting a new OC in 3 years" …Sarkisian sets down his N/A beer and replies " Who?"
Kiffin sets down his popcorn and replies "Lincoln Riley"

:lol: 

3 hours ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

"I WONT be the new coach at LSU"

“I’m not going to be the next head coach at LSU.”

IM THE NEW HEAD COACH AT USC BEECHEZ !!

I actually give him credit for the clever obfuscation.  He certainly wasn't going to be the next head coach of LSU and he was happy to say so. 

Just now, Ferrum Aeternum said:

This piece from Yahoo sums up the shock of the Brian Kelly situation pretty well. As Wetzel points out, ND still has a decent shot of making the playoff. This year! And their coach is now out the door. Hard to imagine the betrayal his players must feel. 

Yeah, Kelly leaving ND at this point in the season is really messed up.  Coaches always talk about sacrifices for the team, and then they leave like this and screw over every single player just because their $7 million a year salary doesn't look so good when somebody else is getting $10 million. 

I actually wonder if it might be something the committee takes into account if they're deciding between ND and other schools for the playoff.  For example, if Cincy loses their championship game, does ND get in ahead of Alabama or OSU?  Maybe not. 

I have this vague recall of many years back where I think the coach was Bill Frieder who announced on the Eve of the NCAA tourney that he was dumping his players and taking a Arizona State head coaching job.

The details of that are semi foggy, but what I do remember crystal clear, like it was yesterday, were the reactions to follow by our beloved iconic AD Bo Schembechler.

Bo and Wolverine fans everywhere were furious with the coach. Bo banned the coach from the locker room, even denied him a farewell address to the players. Bo had a "we got our players backs" press conference and I believe the team went on to win the finals without the traitorous coach.

I was so proud of the old fighter Bo Schembechler, he was as fierce in that moment as he ever was in any of the Bo vs Woody wars with the Buckeyes.

Maybe it's different in this age of big business and the Fighting Irish will not take it as such a monumental betrayal as we did when we were jilted? 

But boy did it light a fuse under that young group of athletes back then. Coach doesn't betray them, Bo doesn't fire them up, I don't think they would have won the tournament.

Eta: Ah yeah checked a wiki article cuz didn't trust the memory, it's a clear case of Frieder villainry and Schembechler heroism to us from the mitten state.

Just before the 1989 NCAA Tournament, Frieder announced that he would leave Michigan for Arizona State at the end of the season. Michigan athletic director Bo Schembechler ordered Frieder to leave immediately, and named top assistant Steve Fisher as the interim coach for the tournament. Schembechler famously announced, "A Michigan man will coach Michigan, not an Arizona State man." The Wolverines went on to win the tournament and Fisher was officially given the head coaching job. Michigan credits the 1988–89 team's regular season to Frieder and the NCAA tournament to Fisher.

Frieder resigned from Arizona State in 1997 following a point-shaving scandal that involved games from the school’s 1994 season.[1]

Archived