College Football 2021-22: Spinning up the Conference Carousel

Rhom

I just wish they had the balls to break away from the NCAA and form their own league. B1G Ten will now have 2 east coast teams, 12 mid west and 2 west coast teams.  I get the draw from recruiting and financial terms, that new tv deal will be ridiculous.  

I really thought there was a time that we were headed to four superconferences of 16 teams each.  But at this point, the Big XII is dead, the PAC XII is dying, and the ACC will be lucky to hang on for dear life.

It really feels like we are headed for a NFC/AFC of college football.

You know... its not a stretch to imagine the SEC grabbing FSU and Miami while the Big 10 scoops up Duke and North Carolina.

And then is there anything really left in the ACC that anyone wants?

This will accelerate the trend of two big conferences - the SEC/B12/ACC and the PAC/B10. 

And that will likely accelerate into one, as at least right now the Pac/B10 can't remotely compete with the SEC/ACC/B12 in terms of revenue or talent acquisition. 

Pat Forde was on The Finebaum Show and just had a comment that I didn't even think about: "It throws the traditional Rose Bowl match up into complete chaos."

1 hour ago, KalVsWade said:

This will accelerate the trend of two big conferences - the SEC/B12/ACC and the PAC/B10. 

And that will likely accelerate into one, as at least right now the Pac/B10 can't remotely compete with the SEC/ACC/B12 in terms of revenue or talent acquisition. 

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

3 of the top 4 from 2021 were Oregon, ohio state, Texas, Michigan..... and thats without the new tv deal that is coming for the B1G soon.  Talent, yeah it's behind but revenue, no.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

Pat Forde was on The Finebaum Show and just had a comment that I didn't even think about: "It throws the traditional Rose Bowl match up into complete chaos."

Why? It's still B1G vs Pac.  Takes what little luster there was left off of it but it can still be the Rose bowl. 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances

3 of the top 4 from 2021 were Oregon, ohio state, Texas, Michigan..... and thats without the new tv deal that is coming for the B1G soon.  Talent, yeah it's behind but revenue, no.

Individual teams revenues are not indicative of the conference power. I'm sure that Ohio state and Michigan will be fine wherever. That ain't the case for Wisconsin or Washington. 

1 hour ago, KalVsWade said:

Individual teams revenues are not indicative of the conference power. I'm sure that Ohio state and Michigan will be fine wherever. That ain't the case for Wisconsin or Washington. 

B1G school get around 31 mill annually, under the current deal, it's going to jump since they just added the LA market and CBS will join in the bidding after losing the SEC. Only the new SEC deal is better. They can compete with $$ with anyone, unfortunately we cannot compete on the football field consistently!

Just now, dbunting said:

B1G school get around 31 mill annually, under the current deal, it's going to jump since they just added the LA market and CBS will join in the bidding after losing the SEC. Only the new SEC deal is better. They can compete with $$ with anyone, unfortunately we cannot compete on the football field consistently!

It all comes down to style of play. To win the Big Ten you have to build a team that can play outdoors in crap weather. That doesn't play well against SEC teams which are so much faster and the playoffs are always played in nice weather. Make Bama come play in the North in January and you'll get vastly different outcomes. 

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

For right this minute, maybe. You think that status quo is going to change when Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC, and Clemson and FSU follow?

Cause that's what is going to come next, and no - that 31 mill per team ain't gonna cut it, especially when the NIL money comes in more. 

9 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It all comes down to style of play. To win the Big Ten you have to build a team that can play outdoors in crap weather. That doesn't play well against SEC teams which are so much faster and the playoffs are always played in nice weather. Make Bama come play in the North in January and you'll get vastly different outcomes. 

Cause going two deep with five stars across the entirety of both lines doesn’t travel…

5 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not when it's -5F. ;)

Oh this is such bullshit.

Ohio state has been by far the most dominant team in the big 10 and they've not been like this for a decade. Wisconsin when they've been their best has been because of great qb play and long ball combined with running.

The idea that Alabama can't go up to a cold.place and win repeatedly with the absurd talent they have is just 1970s thinking. 

I don't see how you could watch the drubbing that Georgia gave Michigan and think "if only the weather were cold, Michigan could handle them".  Georgia dominated both lines of scrimmage.  Everything else in the game trickled down from that fact.  They would have won whether it was 100 degrees or 0 degrees. 

I mean even in the big 10 this is bullshit. Michigan is exactly that supposed hard-core run and defense Harbaugh team, and until this year they got their asses utterly handed to them by Ohio state and its plethora of nfl caliber receivers. 

47 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

The idea that Alabama can't go up to a cold.place and win repeatedly with the absurd talent they have is just 1970s thinking. 

I didn't mean to imply they can't, just that it would be harder.

Use Rodgers and the Packers as an example. Those offenses are based on precision timing and good weather greatly aids it. Why do you think they often look like a stick in the mud at home during the playoffs? The weather impacts what they want to do.

41 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I don't see how you could watch the drubbing that Georgia gave Michigan and think "if only the weather were cold, Michigan could handle them".  Georgia dominated both lines of scrimmage.  Everything else in the game trickled down from that fact.  They would have won whether it was 100 degrees or 0 degrees. 

Georgia is a bit of an extreme example. They may legitimately have had the greatest defense the college game has ever seen. IIRC during the regular season their defense score more points than they allowed. That's nuts. 

Rodgers and the packers sucked because that's who Rodgers is - great against bad teams, comes up short in the important games, and the packers rarely had good defenses.

Archived