College Football 2021-22: Spinning up the Conference Carousel

Rhom

Can’t decide if I want to stick with Georgia/Clemson or move over to LSU/UCLA.

Theres more scoring going on in the latter, and it could be either a sign that Chip Kelly is getting things together or that LSU is going to have another down year.

But Georgia holding up against Clemson could have major implications for the season.

:dunno: 

Clemson is potentially in an odd spot.  They have no more ranked opponents on the schedule and the other two ranked ACC teams already have a loss.  They are going to have. Helluva weak schedule when it comes selection time.

6 hours ago, Rhom said:

Clemson is potentially in an odd spot.  They have no more ranked opponents on the schedule and the other two ranked ACC teams already have a loss.  They are going to have. Helluva weak schedule when it comes selection time.

They'll still likely win the ACC though.

I'm going through the game scores and the last few days were absolutely wild. 

What a wild FSU game. Great comeback and good to see Milton looking healthy. Not the desired outcome but I’ll take any positivity nowadays. Jordan Travis looked like shit most of the time so hopefully Milton starts moving forward. Loving the RB Corbin too. 

So Minny's top player is out for the year after putting up a ridiculous statline in just three quarters. Some team is going to get a steal in next year's draft when he goes in the 4th or 5th round (I believe he was projected to be a second round pick before the season). Frankly he should have just gone to the draft after last year.

Fun weekend slate of games. Had clicker in hand Sat night between those games, hate the SEC but was rooting for Georgia, and UCLA so I was happy. Then Sunday night came and well, F Norte Dame and I thought FSU was gonna complete the feel good moment, but no. The FSU coach accidently iced his own kicker who made the 50+ yarder to get him an easier one, which he promptly missed.

Had my brother-in-laws stag and just got home to see that FSU lost to Jacksonville St. wtf

Just saw the last play. Holy fuck! We are embarrassing… but what an ending!

ETA: Were they playing man D against a 4th and whatever with 6 seconds left in the game, up 4 at midfield? Good fucking times. Fucking hell do I miss the Bowden days

Went over to the FSU SB Nation page to read some comments and they are not fans of Mike Norvell it would seem.

A lot of comments saying variations of “Put the joysticks down” and “Needs to quit playing Madden and play real football.”

Its an interesting question really.  Norvell built his reputation at Memphis with the aggressive play calling and analytics based approach to going for points.  Perhaps it’s something you can get away with at lower levels where you need to make a splash, but as you move up there’s a reason the traditional approach has remained. :dunno: 

Clay Helton canned at USC.  At least he wasn’t still on the tarmac…

I just don’t quite understand what it is that makes it so difficult to hire the right guy at USC.

Hiring any coach is hard, but USC has absurdly influential boosters and desires to hire folks that came from USC. That massively limits things to people who can kiss the ass of boosters super well and who also were part of some USC program, and that venn diagram of people who fit into that + people who are great coaches are two unmatched circles. USC has had its biggest success stories when bringing people in who were not part of the USC hierarchy. 

Hopefully they'll continue to hire someone internal and get middling success with outstanding talent. 

1 hour ago, Kaligator said:

Hiring any coach is hard, but USC has absurdly influential boosters and desires to hire folks that came from USC. That massively limits things to people who can kiss the ass of boosters super well and who also were part of some USC program, and that venn diagram of people who fit into that + people who are great coaches are two unmatched circles. USC has had its biggest success stories when bringing people in who were not part of the USC hierarchy. 

Hopefully they'll continue to hire someone internal and get middling success with outstanding talent. 

In my head, Helton had been there something like four years.  I was stunned earlier to see that this is year seven for him.  :stunned:

On 9/11/2021 at 11:40 PM, Ramsay B. said:

Had my brother-in-laws stag and just got home to see that FSU lost to Jacksonville St. wtf

Just saw the last play. Holy fuck! We are embarrassing… but what an ending!

ETA: Were they playing man D against a 4th and whatever with 6 seconds left in the game, up 4 at midfield? Good fucking times. Fucking hell do I miss the Bowden days

I saw a player proposed to his GF on the field after the game. Maybe wait for a win before doing that.

(checks FSU's schedule)

Maybe not. It could be a long time.

Archived