George's advance for ASOIAF was ~$1m. 450k GBP in *1990's money*

Daendrew

"George R.R. Martin's fantasy trilogy 'A Song of Fire and Ice' sold here for £450,000 after an epic Battle of Dinosaurs between Legend's John 'It's my round!' Jarrold and ultimately victorious Malcolm 'It's your round!' Edwards of HarperCollins."

Source: https://news.ansible.uk/a79.html#07

For context, the average first time fantasy author gets a measly $500 advance and make $0 in royalties afterwards, That is not a typo. The average BEST SELLING fantasy or sci fi book nets the author only $30-50k. The executive assistant at a publisher makes more than the average sci fi/fantasy author.

They offered George this money with only 90 pages submitted. They knew this was golden. 

See this thread from SFF publisher John Jarrold, who lost the bidding war here: https://news.ansible.uk/a79.html#07

Hmm, this is a familiar tidbit... ;)

That was his UK advance that Ansible reported on. John Jarrold was on the losing side of the bidding there, but on the winning side for the US rights with Random House. At bare minimum RH paid at least as much as HarperCollins, and probably rather more since their rights would cover all territories outside of the UK and the Commonwealth. 

13 minutes ago, Ran said:

Hmm, this is a familiar tidbit... ;)

That was his UK advance that Ansible reported on. John Jarrold was on the losing side of the bidding there, but on the winning side for the US rights with Random House. At bare minimum RH paid at least as much as HarperCollins, and probably rather more since their rights would cover all territories outside of the UK and the Commonwealth. 

I would also guess RH paid a lot more. HC only printed ~3,000 hardcovers of AGOT.

You would think more copies would be printed in the UK for a massive sale like this?

I am selling my last copy of the UK first printing of AGOT if anyone is interested :)

I no longer collect ASOIAF. 

Archived