How do the Iroborn have such a huge fleet?

Falcon2909

Before wondering about the fleet, you'd have to figure out the conundrum of why they even exist still in that world. They are a menace to the entire west coast. They raid, pillage and rape the waters and even land. Since this involves several kingdoms, they would absolutely band together to get rid of the Ironborn for good. I'm still baffled they survived the last rebellion considering Tywin Lannister was there for it.

But their very existence makes no sense. So anything that involves the Ironborn, including them having a fleet (huge or small), falls into the category of crappy world building on the author's part.

On 7/28/2021 at 8:40 PM, Groo said:

The answer for the Iron Islands is likely trade. The islands are supposed to be abundant in iron which is certainly valuable enough to trade for timber. 

Yep!

The Hoare kings also discouraged the practice of reaving. And as reaving declined, trade grew. There was still a wealth of iron ore to be found beneath the hills of Great Wyk, Orkmont, Harlaw, and Pyke, and lead and tin as well. The ironmen's need for wood to build their ships remained as great as ever, but they no longer had the strength to take it wherever they found it. Instead they traded iron for timber. And when winter came and the cold winds blew, iron ore became the coin the kings of House Hoare used to buy barley, wheat, and turnips to keep their smallfolk fed (and beef and pork for their own tables). "Paying the iron price" took on a whole new meaning...one many ironborn found humiliating and the priests decried as shameful. (TWOIAF The Black Blood)

8 hours ago, Mystical said:

Before wondering about the fleet, you'd have to figure out the conundrum of why they even exist still in that world. They are a menace to the entire west coast. They raid, pillage and rape the waters and even land. Since this involves several kingdoms, they would absolutely band together to get rid of the Ironborn for good. I'm still baffled they survived the last rebellion considering Tywin Lannister was there for it.

But their very existence makes no sense. So anything that involves the Ironborn, including them having a fleet (huge or small), falls into the category of crappy world building on the author's part.

Very good point, do they contribute anything of value to the world GRRM created, given their "paying the iron price" BS. The fact that they're still allowed to keep thralls after Robert wins the war, makes no sense to me. I thought slavery, was suppose to be outlawed is Westeros.

The only difference between the Iron Born and the wildings, is one culture is good at sailing boats and the other isn't, lol

Archived