House Farman in F & B V1

According to F & B V1 Marq Farman, a second son, was 64 years old when he died in 50 AC. That means his older brother, who, at minimum, was 58 years old when he died at the Battle Beneath the Gods Eye in 43 AC, either was unmarried or had outlived all his children, which is weird. Furthermore, their father, who also died at the Battle Beneath the Gods Eye in 43 AC, must have been, at minimum, 70 years old, which is even more ridiculous. Finally, Elissa and Androw were both born when Marq was in his mid-forties, which is quite late for a nobleman, especially one that is apparently second-in-line to inherit. What do y'all think? Did GRRM screw up his dates? Or was something genuinely fishy going on at Faircastle between 1-43 AC?

@The Grey Wolf Strikes Back @The Wondering Wolf

Good catch guys, I went and checked the text. The wiki made a mistake it is not 64 but 46. I will correct it. :) 

Less than a fortnight after the queen and Androw Farman had celebrated the first anniversary of their union, however, Lord Marq died suddenly at his own table, choking to death upon a fish bone at the age of six-and-forty. And with his passing, Ser Franklyn became the Lord of Fair Isle. He wasted little time.
Fire & Blood, The Year of the Three Brides - 49 AC

I guess GRRM's notation of ages can be a bit confusing. Marq's brother must have been at least 40 at the time of his death, but there are several possibilities why he didn't have a son to succeed him. Maybe he or his wife was barren, maybe they had children who died, maybe they even had a daughter who was married to another lord and thus it was decided to give Faircastle to Marq.

On 7/27/2021 at 4:59 PM, The Wondering Wolf said:

I guess GRRM's notation of ages can be a bit confusing. Marq's brother must have been at least 40 at the time of his death, but there are several possibilities why he didn't have a son to succeed him. Maybe he or his wife was barren, maybe they had children who died, maybe they even had a daughter who was married to another lord and thus it was decided to give Faircastle to Marq.

In the main series, Galbart Glover is unmarried and childless. Unlike his younger brother, Robett.

1 minute ago, Canon Claude said:

In the main series, Galbart Glover is unmarried and childless. Unlike his younger brother, Robett.

I seem to remember GRRM was asked about the Glover situation once and said that Galbart could be a widower. But yeah, there can be various reasons why a younger brother inherits in the end.

Archived