US politics: Everything in moderation, including moderation

IheartIheartTesla

9 minutes ago, The_Lone_Wolf said:

I'm really curious, are there any pro tRump forum members? 

Plus what's this about Obama and the African NBA. Can't understand shit from my regional news 

I'd be surprised if any of them speak up.  They generally prefer a "safe space" and this forum isn't one.  

22 minutes ago, The_Lone_Wolf said:

There are some, but they don't come to the US politics threads anymore (or not often, anyways). It takes a very specific temperament (and also a lot of spare time) to argue in a group where you are outnumbered by a large margin and also this forum has bans for certain language that is fairly mainstream on the right. Most people (and not just in this forum, but almost everywhere online) prefer to hang out where they are allowed to speak they way they usually speak and with people who are not too different -- or at least not in a hostile way.

2 minutes ago, Altherion said:

There are some, but they don't come to the US politics threads anymore (or not often, anyways). It takes a very specific temperament (and also a lot of spare time) to argue in a group where you are outnumbered by a large margin and also this forum has bans for certain language that is fairly mainstream on the right. Most people (and not just in this forum, but almost everywhere online) prefer to hang out where they are allowed to speak they way they usually speak and with people who are not too different -- or at least not in a hostile way.

Despite it's normalization on the Right, hate-speech is not welcome most anywhere.

Voting/support for Trump requires either an acceptance of fantasy or bigotry. Especially after 1/6. Neither hold up well to any scrutiny. Typically the fantasy (economic) is underpinned by soft, if not overt, bigotry.

Also They get so angry that people won't think the way They tell us too, They lapse into incoherent shock -- They simply cannot believe there are Others that are speaking Their minds and differ from Them anywhere!

1 hour ago, The_Lone_Wolf said:

I’m on another forum that has a specific politics section and, after Trump lost, all but one or two of the Republicans completely abandoned the politics section and haven’t been seen since.  I think they prefer to stay in their own bubble rather than risk being exposed to reality, and once they were no longer able to take victory laps about Trump winning, they bolted. 

Seen a nice quote from an article about a Trump endorsed candidate that lost recently. Basically it was something to the effect of-

Trump will endorse you for $1000, Trump will not endorse you for $10,000.

I'm thinking this is where things have headed after 1/6.

Doubtful. Trump is still the figurehead of the party and will be for some time. 1/6 didn't change that, hence why Republican Congressional leaders in the House are trying to say 1/6 is Pelosi's fault. 

It's like straight out of an episode of Veep.

As someone who's argued politics with conservatives on internet forums for over 20 years now, I've found they generally become a whole lot quieter after they lose.  And I've always found it funny that liberals generally have the opposite reaction.  As for this specific forum, Altherion is right, it'd be exhausting to try to defend yourself as a Trumpist here.  Not that I feel bad for them about it.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Doubtful. Trump is still the figurehead of the party and will be for some time. 1/6 didn't change that, hence why Republican Congressional leaders in the House are trying to say 1/6 is Pelosi's fault. 

It's like straight out of an episode of Veep.

My impression is that at the moment, Trump's favour is extremely useful in winning a Republican primary... but not necessarily in winning an open election (with some exceptions geographically). Is that the situation?

15 minutes ago, mormont said:

My impression is that at the moment, Trump's favour is extremely useful in winning a Republican primary... but not necessarily in winning an open election (with some exceptions geographically). Is that the situation?

In terms of past cycles - particularly 2018, yes.  Trump's endorsement was incredibly useful in the primary while basically no better than a coin flip in the general.

However, considering the Trump-backed candidate just lost a primary runoff last night, his influence may be in doubt.  Of course, Trump blamed others and claimed he still "won," but Ellzey outraised the Trump-backed Wright 2-1.  Early returns suggest this is a pattern - with the caveat that a lot of other Trump-backed primary challengers are going up against incumbents and thus inherently should have a fundraising disadvantage.  The primary season will be an interesting test.

22 minutes ago, DMC said:

However, considering the Trump-backed candidate just lost a primary runoff last night [...]

That was the (special) general election, not a primary runoff. The Trump-backed candidate came in first in the blanket primary, and the second-place finisher was another Republican. So, the general election featured only Republicans. I suspect that for Democrats choosing how to vote between two ideologically-similar Republicans, Trump's endorsement might have served as a signal of who not to vote for.

Just now, Old Zog said:

That was the (special) general election, not a primary runoff.

Right, sorry.  I meant to say it was effectively a primary runoff with two GOP candidates.  Obviously it technically was not a primary.  As for whether Ellzey's non-endorsement helped him with Dem voters, who knows.  I'd be surprised if many Dems turned out at all - it appears only a little under 40,000 people voted.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Right, sorry.  I meant to say it was effectively a primary runoff with two GOP candidates.  Obviously it technically was not a primary.  As for whether Ellzey's non-endorsement helped him with Dem voters, who knows.  I'd be surprised if many Dems turned out at all - it appears only a little under 40,000 people voted.

Probably not many, no. But Ellzey did best in the bluer precincts, so it wouldn't be that surprising if there was at least a bit of Dem support. Although, those precincts are also likely to have the less far-right Republicans as well.

Archived