US politics: Everything in moderation, including moderation

IheartIheartTesla

Biden’s plan to avoid a 2020-like nightmare with Latino voters:

CHUCK ROCHA, a former BERNIE SANDERS senior adviser who runs Nuestro PAC, said it’s clear Biden and outside Democrats groups were terrified of the 2020 numbers. And the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee is spending more than $1 million around the country in midterm battleground districts to make gains among minority voters.

That figure may seem relatively small, given the size of the committee’s ad budget. But Rocha said it’s the timing that matters here.

“I've never seen a group of folks go out and spend money, talking to Latinos as early as the pro Biden outside groups have done. So Building Back Together, Unidos and other groups, it’s like they all got the s*** scared out of them with Miami and the Texas valley last time and they are actually doing what all of us who were complaining about, they're doing it differently, really differently,” Rocha said. “You never saw Bill Clinton, or even Barack Obama, go out six months after the election and spend millions of dollars in Spanish, telling people what they're doing to make their lives better.”

Encouraged to see they're really making an effort.  Hopefully it, ya know, works.

9 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Well, looks like Corporate Dems, Republicans, and big corporations pull together, they can succeed... Still early, of course.

I don't think that's a fair characterization of Shontel Brown.  She's a good candidate.  I don't have a problem with Turner either, but if I would have voted for Brown over her.

Anyway, yeah, still quite early.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't think that's a fair characterization of Shontel Brown.  She's a good candidate.  I don't have a problem with Turner either, but if I would have voted for Brown over her.

Anyway, yeah, still quite early.

It's a pretty fair characterization of Brown's donors though.

Actually, it wasn''t a characterization of Brown, but rather of the groups pumping money into her campaign as soon as they realized the progressive candidate had a strong lead in polls.

But of course, their donors always shed additional light on the candidate, too. So you're not wrong.

edit: Got ninja'd!

8 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

It's a pretty fair characterization of Brown's donors though.

8 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Actually, it wasn''t a characterization of Brown, but rather of the groups pumping money into her campaign as soon as they realized the progressive candidate had a strong lead in polls.

Not really.  A lot of her money came from the local Democratic establishment and pro-Israeli PACs, neither of which I'd describe as "corporate Dems" or Republicans.

So... Thought some of you here might find this funny.

At a recent family dinner, one of my aunts announced we should brace ourselves for Trump being elected on August 13th.
I had her repeat this extraordinary announcement and it turned out she really meant "inaugurated." According to her, the recounts and legal procedures will show Trump was the actual winner of the November election, and the US military will ensure he is president again.
After calmly and firmly telling her "no, this is not going to happen," I dug a little bit, thinking she'd been reading QAnon stuff.
But her answer was "not just." She then went on to talk about hidden tunnels linking (among other places) the Vatican to Israel, and how the Pope performs freemason ceremonies underneath the Vatican in which children are involved to extract adrenochrome from their blood. "Everything will be revealed" by a series of international broadcasts in early August (so... any day now).
There was more, but I think you get the idea. Despite my vague knowledge of conspiracy theories and online right-wing craziness, I was never able to figure out what particular brand of conspirationism this was. She said Jews weren't involved (so I guess it's not the Zion Protocol shit - should have asked more questions about that tunnel though), and didn't seem to be familiar with the Illuminati. She also didn't believe in lizard stuff, though she did say many of our presidents have already been replaced by "them."
She doesn't drink, she doesn't take drugs, she's just batshit crazy. Good news is, I see her about every other year.

About 31% of precincts reporting and Brown still has a near ten point lead...Gotta say I'd be surprised if Brown wins that comfortably.

The other thing to watch tonight was the Republican primary in the Ohio 15th.  It appears the Trump-backed candidate, Mike Carey, will win easily. 

Cori Bush steers progressives to win on eviction crisis
A new member of the liberal “Squad” stepped to the forefront this week, leading a Capitol steps sit-in that forced the White House to act.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/08/03/cori-bush-eviction-crisis-502313

Cori Bush arrived in Congress as an heir to Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez. Now the political neophyte is coming into her own.

Bush has led a one-woman protest on the Capitol steps over the last several days that forced the eviction crisis to the top of the nation's agenda even after the House left town without taking action on the issue. Under intense pressure from the left, President Joe Biden on Tuesday afternoon announced a short-term fix to prevent millions of families from losing their homes despite questioning the constitutionality of doing so.

The Missouri Democrat’s surprising win after an impromptu vigil on the East Front — which has been broadcast on national television and drawn high-profile figures such as Jesse Jackson and Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer — illustrates the burgeoning influence held by the freshman progressive and other members of the so-called Squad both inside and outside the Capitol. Once dismissed as liberal firebrands with large Twitter followings but little impact inside Congress, the Squad has added members and continued knocking off high-profile incumbents, forcing senior Democrats to listen.

“This is why this happened. Being unapologetic. Being unafraid to stand up,” Bush told reporters as Biden made his announcement Tuesday after she'd spent several days sleeping, mostly sitting up, on the building's steps.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

At a recent family dinner, one of my aunts announced we should brace ourselves for Trump being elected on August 13th.
I had her repeat this extraordinary announcement and it turned out she really meant "inaugurated." According to her, the recounts and legal procedures will show Trump was the actual winner of the November election, and the US military will ensure he is president again.
After calmly and firmly telling her "no, this is not going to happen," I dug a little bit, thinking she'd been reading QAnon stuff.
But her answer was "not just." She then went on to talk about hidden tunnels linking (among other places) the Vatican to Israel, and how the Pope performs freemason ceremonies underneath the Vatican in which children are involved to extract adrenochrome from their blood. "Everything will be revealed" by a series of international broadcasts in early August (so... any day now).
There was more, but I think you get the idea. Despite my vague knowledge of conspiracy theories and online right-wing craziness, I was never able to figure out what particular brand of conspirationism this was. She said Jews weren't involved (so I guess it's not the Zion Protocol shit - should have asked more questions about that tunnel though), and didn't seem to be familiar with the Illuminati. She also didn't believe in lizard stuff, though she did say many of our presidents have already been replaced by "them."
She doesn't drink, she doesn't take drugs, she's just batshit crazy. Good news is, I see her about every other year.

A strange question… is your Aunt American?

4 hours ago, Rippounet said:

It's only fun, until you realize it's hereditary, but by then it's too late. Just like my hair line.

7 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Be sure to get in touch with her on 1st September and ask what happened. 

19 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Will Cuomo resign?

I have serious doubts. Maybe after his initial lashing out yesterday Cuomo will come to his senses and see the inevitability of what is coming, but Cuomo’s entire identity revolves around his position of power in NY State government. His ego may make him fight to the bitter end, or to the last instant before that.

State government seems to be expecting that too. They’re talking about impeachment and having the votes for it. They also seem to expect Cuomo to make them bring impeachment to a vote before leaving, and possibly to go through the entire process. I’ve heard at least one say “That’s just the way he [Cuomo] is” when asked about it during an NPR interview.

4 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Be sure to get in touch with her on 1st September and ask what happened. 

I don't think you need to wait that long. Ask her where the "series of international broadcasts" are. Do you need cable to get them?  I don't get the golf channel.

12 hours ago, Rippounet said:

Mental health is a much bigger issue in the modern world than we give it credit for.  I suspect a lot of people who are able to make it through their day to day are still, fundamentally, mentally unsound.  We have very little in the way of support networks for this, and when you pile it on top of the how utterly lonely the modern world can be for a lot of people, it can take folks to really bad places.  

When I would visit my paternal grandmother, after she was put in assisted living, every time I would be surprised at how much further she'd gone down the rabbit hole of right wing insanity.  I live five hours away, but I often regret not being able to visit more.  I wonder if she'd been able to hold onto things better if I had.  But then my dad and my aunt both visited almost daily, so I don't know.

1 hour ago, L'oiseau français said:

Did Cuomo send dick pics too?

I think you're thinking of Anthony Weiner.  Spitzer resigned due to spending nearly six figures on a prostitution ring, I don't recall any dick pics (thankfully).

Archived