Given how big TWOW will be should it be released in two volumes?

Well, we don't know how big it will be. If it's as big as ASoS and ADWD, which is what GRRM was aiming for, it will be published in one volume in hardcover, but in some countries (like the UK) will likely be split in two for paperback.

If it's a fair bit bigger than ASoS and ADWD (like, 50% bigger) then, yes, it will likely be split into two volumes.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 6:51 PM, TheNecromancerofMirkwood said:

He should be doing 3 books instead of 2: The Winds of Winter, A Time for Wolves and then A Dream of Spring, each no more than 1000 pages. But, that's just my opinion....

When GRRM passes into the great beyond, many decades hence, they will find maybe 600 pages of material on his computer, which another author will adapt and expand into a volume entitled "A Haggling of Harpies."  I'll be dead by then.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 12:28 PM, Mister Smikes said:

When GRRM passes into the great beyond, many decades hence, they will find maybe 600 pages of material on his computer, which another author will adapt and expand into a volume entitled "A Haggling of Harpies."  I'll be dead by then.

Now, now, don't go giving Brian Herbert any more "ideas".. 

Really if the issue is George trying to fit it in just one book, I don't see why this should in fact be an issue. There's nothing wrong with publishing TWOW in two reasonable parts rather than one huge book. He could just write whatever he wants until he feels satisfied, without worrying about fitting it into a single book, and when he's done, he could just chop it in the middle and call it a day. 

2 hours ago, The Winged Griffin said:

Really if the issue is George trying to fit it in just one book, I don't see why this should in fact be an issue. 

It's not an issue.  Nobody cares about how big the book is.  There are all kinds of solutions to the problem, including publication in 2 parts simultaneously.  

If (hypothetically) he has more than 1500 pages and has not published yet, the issue MIGHT be that he needs to write more before he reaches a satisfactory cut-off point.  

But it is really wishful thinking to suppose he has that much written.

6 minutes ago, Mister Smikes said:

It's not an issue.  Nobody cares about how big the book is.  There are all kinds of solutions to the problem, including publication in 2 parts simultaneously.  

If (hypothetically) he has more than 1500 pages and has not published yet, the issue MIGHT be that he needs to write more before he reaches a satisfactory cut-off point.  

But it is really wishful thinking to suppose he has that much written.

This was the plan for THE BIG FEAST https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1352

A new piece of information that slipped through was that he and his publishers had pretty much settled on simply splitting the book in half and publishing the two halves a month or so apart when a friend of his suggested splitting the book by POV.