Given how big TWOW will be should it be released in two volumes?

On 9/15/2021 at 3:09 PM, Mister Smikes said:

It's not an issue.  Nobody cares about how big the book is.  There are all kinds of solutions to the problem, including publication in 2 parts simultaneously.  

If (hypothetically) he has more than 1500 pages and has not published yet, the issue MIGHT be that he needs to write more before he reaches a satisfactory cut-off point.  

But it is really wishful thinking to suppose he has that much written.

I personally think that the 1500 pages limit is likely to no longer be relevant anymore, given his most recent quote that he needs to write hundreds of more pages to reach a satisfactory conclusion meaning that he'll continue to write until he reached it. Whether he's already above 1500 pages or not is another question entirely though. 

• 2 weeks later...

It should be released in whatever format is necessary for the book to actually be released. I don't care how it's released, I just want it to be released. But all of this is pointless theorising, because we don't even know when it will be released. For all we know it could be another five years.

3 hours ago, Bobby B's Hamma said:

George made a post last night with a picture of a hand with multiple fingers and the mood of "busy"... I had my hopes up until I read the tags were "HBO" and "television" <_<

I would have thought that Martin would have an instinctive aversion to collaborating on projects with HBO after GoT, but apparently not. Very disappointing.

5 hours ago, Bobby B's Hamma said:

George made a post last night with a picture of a hand with multiple fingers and the mood of "busy"... I had my hopes up until I read the tags were "HBO" and "television" <_<

Yeah.  Good to see he's doing so well pitching spinoffs.  Enough of these shows bastardising his work will eventually kill the market for Winds and he can go back to writing with the pressure off.

On 10/5/2021 at 3:36 PM, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Yeah.  Good to see he's doing so well pitching spinoffs.  Enough of these shows bastardising his work will eventually kill the market for Winds and he can go back to writing with the pressure off.

This is with out question, the best theory I read in this forum

On 10/5/2021 at 6:27 AM, Bobby B's Hamma said:

LMAO. I'd feel so disappointed if I read that. My thoughts: "Yes, he's working on TWOW and it's going well!". After I read the HBO thing: "Ah, shit."

4 hours ago, CamiloRP said:

This is with out question, the best theory I read in this forum

The best theory is the one that the series will be finished. This is a close second however.

On 10/5/2021 at 4:27 PM, Bobby B's Hamma said:

Not even surprised.

On 10/6/2021 at 7:25 AM, GeorgeIAF said:

It will never be released. Mark my words. If he cant finish it in a pandemic where everything is in lockdown, he never will.

I am very sorry to report that I completely agree.  It's hard for me to understand how anyone can think he will at this point.  

41 minutes ago, Hugor_Hill said:

I am very sorry to report that I completely agree.  It's hard for me to understand how anyone can think he will at this point.  

A lot of people are still - understandably - in the "denial" stage. It'll take a long time before everyone gets to "acceptance".

On 10/5/2021 at 6:44 PM, WhatAnArtist! said:

I would have thought that Martin would have an instinctive aversion to collaborating on projects with HBO after GoT, but apparently not. Very disappointing.

You are projecting yours and the fandoms opinion about HBO on GRRM. GRRM likes HBO. You know why? There is a famous song of ABBA that might help you figuring it out. 

On 10/10/2021 at 1:07 PM, Dalinar said:

You are projecting yours and the fandoms opinion about HBO on GRRM. GRRM likes HBO. You know why? There is a famous song of ABBA that might help you figuring it out. 

Yeah, I think you mean "Crazy World".

Edited by Kyll.Ing.

• 4 months later...

So…GRRMs latest comments are pretty depressing. 

Remember all those vows to not work on F&BII, Dunk, etc. until he finishes Winds?
Yeah, he’s completely scrapped them.

And he seems preemptively annoyed that people might be frustrated by that. He says his priority now is not finishing Winds, but the world of Westeros in general, including several tv projects (Sea Snake, Nymeria, something set in Yi Ti, especially Dunk & Egg) and says his production on Winds in 2021 was ‘not nothing’ and ‘some’. He’s also working on a bunch of other tv projects not related to the world of Ice & Fire, including something kinda interesting based on the Hillerman mystery novels. He’s specifically focusing on writing Dunk and F&B2 atm, the former seemingly linked to the tv deal. But he assures us he is ‘also’ working on Winds. 

…sigh. Sometimes I suspect that GRRMs real dream was always to work in tv and the novelist part was kind of adjacent to that. Anyways, not that anyone is by this point, but just in case, don’t hold your breath for Winds anytime soon. If ever. 

4 hours ago, James Arryn said:

So…GRRMs latest comments are pretty depressing. 

Remember all those vows to not work on F&BII, Dunk, etc. until he finishes Winds?
Yeah, he’s completely scrapped them.

And he seems preemptively annoyed that people might be frustrated by that. He says his priority now is not finishing Winds, but the world of Westeros in general, including several tv projects (Sea Snake, Nymeria, something set in Yi Ti, especially Dunk & Egg) and says his production on Winds in 2021 was ‘not nothing’ and ‘some’. He’s also working on a bunch of other tv projects not related to the world of Ice & Fire, including something kinda interesting based on the Hillerman mystery novels. He’s specifically focusing on writing Dunk and F&B2 atm, the former seemingly linked to the tv deal. But he assures us he is ‘also’ working on Winds. 

…sigh. Sometimes I suspect that GRRMs real dream was always to work in tv and the novelist part was kind of adjacent to that. Anyways, not that anyone is by this point, but just in case, don’t hold your breath for Winds anytime soon. If ever. 

I agree.   He has seemed really enamored of being a TV guy since the HBO deal, not that I blame him, but it does seem to have supplanted 'writing ASOIAF' as his primary profession and interest.

He says 2020 was a productive year, but 2021 less so, and now he's back to his old 'busy, busy, busy' schedule.  

It has now been 10 years and appx. 8 months since Dance was published.  All he has to say today is that 2021 basically, wasn't that productive, and now he's busy again with other stuff that, IMO, comes easier to him than Winds.  There was absolutely nothing in his comments to give even a glimmer of hope that Winds will even come out this year or, probably, ever.

Sad. 

Edited by Cas Stark

55 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

I agree.   He has seemed really enamored of being a TV guy since the HBO deal, not that I blame him, but it does seem to have supplanted 'writing ASOIAF' as his primary profession and interest.

He says 2020 was a productive year, but 2021 less so, and now he's back to his old 'busy, busy, busy' schedule.  

It has now been 10 years and appx. 8 months since Dance was published.  All he has to say today is that 2021 basically, wasn't that productive, and now he's busy again with other stuff that, IMO, comes easier to him than Winds.  There was absolutely nothing in his comments to give even a glimmer of hope that Winds will even come out this year or, probably, ever.

Sad. 

Since posting I watched a PJ video and he pointed out something I’d only loosely grasped; by far the dominant emotion coming across in his latest blog was annoyance at fans for…wanting him to do what he said he’d do? He points out that this is odd because GRRM has long since turned off comments on his Not A Blog, hasn’t done any cons, and almost certainly isn’t managing his own Twitter account, so this feeling of being besieged is a bit inexplicable. I mean, of course he rationally must know how people will react to this, but his attitude…at one point it’s kind of a politer ‘sucks to be you’ towards people who will be unhappy…comes off a bit weird.

Now PJ also points out that GRRM has lost several friends and acquaintances to COVId/other health issues in the past couple years, so he’s probably going through a dark time personally and that might explain his  ~ ‘I take my promises back, why are you people so upset? I [i]am[/i] coming out with an ASOIAF coffee table*’ vibe. But yeah, I’d pretty much come around to expecting that the series would never be completed, but I did think we’d at least get Winds, and now even that seems pretty remote. 

I mean, there are a lot worse things happening in the world and it’s his life, but this news didn’t help lift the mood.

*that’s not sarcasm, for those who haven’t read his blog.