Given how big TWOW will be should it be released in two volumes?

12 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

we could read anything into it, and thus should read nothing into it

oh by the way – this thread is about whether tWoW should be released in two volumes depending on its length.

in this regard, the blog post is relatively informative and easy to understand.

1 hour ago, Ninefingers said:

That would sure be nice, but it's been multiple years since he said he thought he could get it done in three months. 

This will probably keep nagging me until the day I'm too old to remember. In May 2015, he thought himself able to finish by Halloween that year. In August, he realized the Halloween deadline would be untenable, but a two-month extension (until New Year's Eve) ought to suffice. By then, it had been four and a half years since ADWD was released.

And now it's more than six years later. In terms of the total time elapsed between ADWD and the present day, that missed deadline was a year or so before the halfway point.

What was the state of the book like in August 2015? What made him think he could be four months away from finishing, and what happened that made the book impossible to finish in ... (counts) ... twenty times longer than that? Did he misjudge that badly, or was there an unexpected obstacle?

1 hour ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

This will probably keep nagging me until the day I'm too old to remember. In May 2015, he thought himself able to finish by Halloween that year. In August, he realized the Halloween deadline would be untenable, but a two-month extension (until New Year's Eve) ought to suffice. By then, it had been four and a half years since ADWD was released.

And now it's more than six years later. In terms of the total time elapsed between ADWD and the present day, that missed deadline was a year or so before the halfway point.

What was the state of the book like in August 2015? What made him think he could be four months away from finishing, and what happened that made the book impossible to finish in ... (counts) ... twenty times longer than that? Did he misjudge that badly, or was there an unexpected obstacle?

I have very similar questions. I'm best described as a very casual fan at this point, but I would love to understand this. 

Do you have a link to when/where he said this? My memory of the communication is very similar to yours, but when I went looking I couldn't find it. 

cheers

2 hours ago, Kyll.Ing. said:

It’s simpler than you think. In 2015, the Mets made it to the World Series for the first time in fifteen years. They then lost to the Royals around Halloween. At the end of the year, George admitted that Winds was far away. 

The likelihood of us getting this book rests of the success of a baseball team that hasn’t won a World Series championship since 1986.

4 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It’s simpler than you think. In 2015, the Mets made it to the World Series for the first time in fifteen years. They then lost to the Royals around Halloween. At the end of the year, George admitted that Winds was far away. 

I didn't know that GRRM is a fan of the Mets. Isn't he mostly into football?

2 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I didn't know that GRRM is a fan of the Mets. Isn't he mostly into football?

Both. He’s a Mets fans, and also a Giants and Jets fan. I’ve always wondered if Shae was named after Shea Stadium (pronounced the same).

On 5/1/2022 at 1:12 PM, SeanBeanedMeUp said:

Does it mean he’s close? I want to believe he’s close…

When he’s finished though how long is the process of him reviewing it, chopping and changing and then having it proof read, etc, etc. Seems like that’s probably a years worth of work once he’s put the last full stop on the last chapter he intends to write. 

Can’t help but feel it’s still at least 2 years off.

14 hours ago, Gravity Grave said:

When he’s finished though how long is the process of him reviewing it, chopping and changing and then having it proof read, etc, etc. Seems like that’s probably a years worth of work once he’s put the last full stop on the last chapter he intends to write. 

Can’t help but feel it’s still at least 2 years off.

I believe he finished Dance in April, and it was published in July. So three months, maybe two. 

On 4/14/2022 at 3:57 PM, SeanBeanedMeUp said:

He’s going to have to release a physical version sometime though.

Physical book sales still make up the majority of the market. Ebook share has actually been declining slightly, with audiobooks becoming a much bigger deal.

30 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Physical book sales still make up the majority of the market. Ebook share has actually been declining slightly, with audiobooks becoming a much bigger deal.

Speaking of which, I'm curious as to how popular ASOIAF was before the show. On par with the works of Rothfuss and Sanderson today?

4 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Speaking of which, I'm curious as to how popular ASOIAF was before the show. On par with the works of Rothfuss and Sanderson today?

It had sold 12 million copies by 2011. Rothfuss has sold about 20 million copies of his two books (and small novella). Sanderson has sold around 36 million books, of which around 13-14 million is from his contributions to the Wheel of Time series. The other ~22 million is divided between two dozen odd novels, novellas and graphic novels.

So Rothfuss is more popular than GRRM was when the show started, Sanderson is hard to track because he has such a huge amount more books (so if you divide his sales by his books, they are less per-book, but Sanderson has more discrete and different series). His signature series, The Stormlight Archive, is running around 1 million copies per book, which is less than ASoIaF (which was 3 million per book in 2011, before ADWD came out).

5 hours ago, Werthead said:

It had sold 12 million copies by 2011. Rothfuss has sold about 20 million copies of his two books (and small novella). Sanderson has sold around 36 million books, of which around 13-14 million is from his contributions to the Wheel of Time series. The other ~22 million is divided between two dozen odd novels, novellas and graphic novels.

So Rothfuss is more popular than GRRM was when the show started, Sanderson is hard to track because he has such a huge amount more books (so if you divide his sales by his books, they are less per-book, but Sanderson has more discrete and different series). His signature series, The Stormlight Archive, is running around 1 million copies per book, which is less than ASoIaF (which was 3 million per book in 2011, before ADWD came out).

Interesting. How did you learn all of this?

I first heard of The Kingkiller Chronicles probably around 2013 or so. As of now, it looks like Patrick Rothfuss has lost a lot of good will with his fans, much more so than George has. With the exception of a few recent blog posts, George seems to enjoy talking with fans.  I’ve heard that Rothfuss is instead quite dismissive of his.

8 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Interesting. How did you learn all of this?

I first heard of The Kingkiller Chronicles probably around 2013 or so. As of now, it looks like Patrick Rothfuss has lost a lot of good will with his fans, much more so than George has. With the exception of a few recent blog posts, George seems to enjoy talking with fans.  I’ve heard that Rothfuss is instead quite dismissive of his.

Because I asked the publishers, or they formally announced it at various points.

3 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Do you know how many copies Fire Cannot Kill a Dragon sold? I got the impression that it wasn’t much of a bestseller.

No idea. As a TV tie-in book (and one approved by HBO, reducing the amount of dirt they could share), I wasn't expecting it to be huge anyway.

2 minutes ago, Werthead said:

No idea. As a TV tie-in book (and one approved by HBO, reducing the amount of dirt they could share), I wasn't expecting it to be huge anyway.

Oh, man, I would have loved to have gotten some dirt about how the suits at HBO reacted to the season eight backlash

12 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

As of now, it looks like Patrick Rothfuss has lost a lot of good will with his fans, much more so than George has.

Which is curious, because the wait for the next book from Rothfuss has been even longer than the wait for Winds.

Edited by Takiedevushkikakzvezdy