Jump to content

Given how big TWOW will be should it be released in two volumes?


Recommended Posts

On 12/7/2023 at 5:23 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

I find it interesting that George mentions TWOW and ASOIAF separately when talking about when he met with his publisher. It’s not enough to give me hope, but it could suggest that he’s working on some more supplementary material too.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2023/12/06/a-visit-to-old-blighty/

It seems to be a routine meeting with his UK publishers, whom he hadn’t seen in a while. From what I understand, he would've had an urgent meeting with his American publishers first if there was any light at the end of the Winds tunnel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

It seems to be a routine meeting with his UK publishers, whom he hadn’t seen in a while. From what I understand, he would've had an urgent meeting with his American publishers first if there was any light at the end of the Winds tunnel.

I agree; when we hear about meeting his publishers in NYC, I get more excited, than him meeting his publishers in the UK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 11/21/2023 at 3:54 PM, sifth said:

He's not getting Dany to the West without a time skip. That's clear as day.

Agreed

We're going to need a time skip between Winds and Dream...

...or, more specifically, a time skip between the establishment of a new status quo (Blackfyre-Martell empowered, Lannisters disgrace, Baratheon extinction, Stark resurgence) and the fall of the Wall. The fall of the Wall has to deeply disturb the brand-new status quo to be effective AND it has to happen either before Dany's arrival or right when she shows up

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 8/26/2021 at 4:21 AM, TheNecromancerofMirkwood said:

He should be doing 3 books instead of 2: The Winds of Winter, A Time for Wolves and then A Dream of Spring, each no more than 1000 pages. But, that's just my opinion....

It wouldn't fit in with the all-important number, 7. Seven kingdoms (why do they still call it that if it was merged hundreds of years ago? there were never just seven kingdoms to begin with anyway), seven gods, seven books. 

 

Wait, I'm sorry, I didn't notice you said that years ago. Sheesh.

Edited by FantasyCreature
Spotted a mistake, kind of
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, FantasyCreature said:

It wouldn't fit in with the all-important number, 7. Seven kingdoms (why do they still call it that if it was merged hundreds of years ago? there were never just seven kingdoms to begin with anyway), seven gods, seven books. 

Well, he's just going to have to deal with it I guess

I think he can finish the series in two books. But they will both have to be huge

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, BlackLightning said:

Well, he's just going to have to deal with it I guess

I think he can finish the series in two books. But they will both have to be huge

I wouldn't mind huge books. Even if they're split into two volumes, it's not a big deal for me. I just want him to finish the story, best if the number of books is 7. I just like this kind of uniformity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To this date, ADWD's is the strangest book I've ever read. You get to page 800 and still new POV characters are being introduced. There really is not book quite like it. I hope things are better structured, if Winds is ever released.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, swirlingdown said:

I believe it will. What I don't believe anymore is that it'll come out during GRRM's lifetime.

 

Do you  mean his estate will release whatever there is of Winds of Winter+notes, like what they did with The Last Tycoon?

 

Or do you mean you think that he has finished Winds but is only going to allow for a postumus release?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

 

Do you  mean his estate will release whatever there is of Winds of Winter+notes, like what they did with The Last Tycoon?

 

Or do you mean you think that he has finished Winds but is only going to allow for a postumus release?

The first.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/14/2024 at 8:37 AM, Cas Stark said:

Do people still believe that Winds is coming out?  

I do not think it ever will.  What is it now, 13 years since ADWD was released?  

I truly think the best way to approach ASOIAF is to just view the first three books as a trilogy, and pretend like AFFC, ADWD, and especially the tv series don't exist.  I know people have said if you only view it as a trilogy, then it really isn't the story that George is trying to tell.  But what alternative do we have?  An incomplete story?

I really wish George would tell the fandom he doesn't have it in him to finish the series, and then he can enjoy his life without constant pestering about whether he working on TWOW.  I will always treasure the first three books, and those books sparked me into reading tons of other great fantasy series.  I can live with that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 8:37 AM, Cas Stark said:

Do people still believe that Winds is coming out?  

I still remain optimistic that Winds will come out eventually, though I have to admit my confidence in it actually appearing is diminishing by the week.  As for A Dream of Spring, I expect that it will remain merely a dream.

Edited by Nevets
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/16/2024 at 5:18 AM, Rubicante said:

I do not think it ever will.  What is it now, 13 years since ADWD was released?  

I truly think the best way to approach ASOIAF is to just view the first three books as a trilogy, and pretend like AFFC, ADWD, and especially the tv series don't exist.  I know people have said if you only view it as a trilogy, then it really isn't the story that George is trying to tell.  But what alternative do we have?  An incomplete story?

I really wish George would tell the fandom he doesn't have it in him to finish the series, and then he can enjoy his life without constant pestering about whether he working on TWOW.  I will always treasure the first three books, and those books sparked me into reading tons of other great fantasy series.  I can live with that.

Surely though if he admitted defeat on it, his publishers would go crazy. If it ever gets published it will be one of their biggest ever releases. He’ll keep gardening away on it and we might see the book in 4/5 years time. We will never see the end of the story though which I’ve come to accept 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Silsden said:

Surely though if he admitted defeat on it, his publishers would go crazy. If it ever gets published it will be one of their biggest ever releases. He’ll keep gardening away on it and we might see the book in 4/5 years time. We will never see the end of the story though which I’ve come to accept 

I'm not sure I believe he is still even working on Winds given the long list of other projects that he is definitely known to be working on.  Wasn't it 2015? that he thought he was a few months from finishing?  Either he has rewritten most of the novel since then, or that was all wishful thinking.  At this point, I'm sure his publishers would be thrilled to get the same as we got for Feast and Dance...a bunch of random chapters strung together in book length.  

I'd say there is only about a 20% chance that Winds ever comes out, in any form, split, complete or any other way.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

I'm not sure I believe he is still even working on Winds given the long list of other projects that he is definitely known to be working on.  Wasn't it 2015? that he thought he was a few months from finishing?  Either he has rewritten most of the novel since then, or that was all wishful thinking.  At this point, I'm sure his publishers would be thrilled to get the same as we got for Feast and Dance...a bunch of random chapters strung together in book length.  

I'd say there is only about a 20% chance that Winds ever comes out, in any form, split, complete or any other way.

 

I’d like to think the various cliffhangers at the end of ADWD would be resolved.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...