Watch Watched Watching: Indie Art Cinema Wave #__?

TheLastWolf

@Isis,

That was awesome. And also a reminder that despite trying several different instruments, I was never meant to be a musician. Since animated series were the dominate topic from the last thread, I feel like Homer in the Itchy and Scratchy Land episode when Marge points out to him why his robot never worked.

I also forgot to get back to your comment about The Man in the High Castle. I think the problem with the show, and why I hear a number of people say they gave up on it at some point is because it's hard to get that invested with the characters. The premise of the show is great and they do a lot of excellent technical work, but I just don't care that much about the protagonists. John Smith is the only interesting character, and it's hard to root for the evil Nazi....

I loved season one of Righteous Gemstones. Walton Goggins steals the show per usual. Loved whenever him and John Goodman shared the screen. they had great chemistry. The actress who plays Judy is so good and she was hilarious on Vice Principals too. Would watch a second season 

Last night I also watched Girl, Interrupted because it was too hot and I couldn’t sleep. I don’t know how old Winona Ryder and Angelina Jolie were when they shot that film, but they look very young especially for the sublime acting they delivered. The story is beautiful, the relationships between the characters are real and raw. They are all so lovable, each for their own unique reason. The themes are handled with subtle care, intelligence and complexity, which current day cinema/television wouldn’t understand if it punched them in the face. It was a film I actually watched instead of listening to it in the background while I scroll Instagram and retail apps. 

We watched The Vanished last night on Netflix.  Holy shit was that bad.  It was like watching a what-if scenario where the question was "what if during a crisis you made the worst decision possible at every turning point".  It was insane, and then in the final moments you get a "twist" that was stupid and just tacked on.  What's odd is that the main cop in it gave a really good performance and his character had some actual depth to it, but it was a performance in a sea of caricatures swimming around this ridiculous plot.  Definitely skip it.

Gangs of New York.

Watched it for the first time in over a decade. Don't know why.

It's a much better film than I remember. Compelling story. interesting historical context. Amazing performances. Amazingly well crafted. Seeing that on a big screen back in the day would have been incredible. I hate to use the cliche, "they don't make them like this anymore"; but yeah, they don't make them like this anymore.

I looked it up to see if it was recognized in any technical categories. Lots of nominations for costume design, cinematography and art direction but no wins. Shame. 

23 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Gangs of New York.

Watched it for the first time in over a decade.

It has that quality that every time I watch it I like it more and more.  One of my all-time favorites.

41 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Gangs of New York.

Watched it for the first time in over a decade. Don't know why.

It's a much better film than I remember. Compelling story. interesting historical context. Amazing performances. Amazingly well crafted. Seeing that on a big screen back in the day would have been incredible. I hate to use the cliche, "they don't make them like this anymore"; but yeah, they don't make them like this anymore.

I looked it up to see if it was recognized in any technical categories. Lots of nominations for costume design, cinematography and art direction but no wins. Shame. 

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

It has that quality that every time I watch it I like it more and more.  One of my all-time favorites.

GOAT DD-L

Thirds on Gangs of New York.

So a few of us got together, over some pizza and beer, and watched Jungle Cruise. It was actually a lot of fun if you weren't being overly critical. The comps to Pirates of the Caribbean blended with The Mummy set in the jungle are pretty spot on. It's not great by any means, but the leads are enjoyable and the stunts are pretty entertaining. 

I certainly liked Gangs enough back in the day to buy it on disc, but it kind of got away from me.

I don't know if it's the physical sets, if it's the fact it was shot on film, It's lit in a very "Scorcese" way; but it has a cinematic quality you just don't see that often these days.  There's definitely some green screen in there as well, but not much and not so you notice. 

Apparently it lost the cinematography Oscar to Road to Perdition. My initial reaction was, "Seriously?", but then I realized I haven't seen that in a while either. I guess I have to find that one next. 

Do people around here recommend The Underground Railroad? I think I might give it a try.

I've long been a fan of good ancient history/ archaeology documentaries. Sadly, they don't make many good ones anymore. I tried one about Vespasian (Timeline) and found it unwatchable.

But I did enjoy a channel on YT, Fall of Civilizations. Available as podcast or TV. The Aztec one is very good, also: Interesting news about Easter Island.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FallofCivilizationsPodcast/playlists

The Gomorrah spin-off The Immortal (L’Immortale) was soooo good. Didn’t feel unnecessary at all. I enjoyed both the flashback and post S3 segments equally. I just cannot praise Marco D’Amore in this role enough. Easily one of my favorite characters from anything ever. 

I got chills at the end when

Ciro sees Genny pull up.

Yesterday I watched The Talented Mr Ripely. Wow were these actors young or what? The story was intricate, though the whole film wasn’t as special as any of my previous 90s nostalgia endeavors.  Again, it was complex, nuanced and intelligent when it came to social commentary, the acting was sublime and the atmosphere of the film was mellow and serene like a late summer Italian vacation. It did stretch far too long for me taste and I sort of felt an skewed balance between the plot and the dynamics. This kind of story works better with a faster and a bit more dynamic pace, at least for me personally. It was often weirdly anachronistic too, especially when it came to costume design. 

8 hours ago, HoodedCrow said:

I’m enjoying the documentary on sitcoms. I haven’t watched more than a few episodes of sitcom, so the show has distilled many hours into iconic bits with commentary. We laughed!  Win/ win

Thanks for that! I'm a bit bummed they haven't mentioned Frasier yet. Other than that, very interesting. Many old shows they mentioned haven't been aired here.

Archived