Watch Watched Watching: Indie Art Cinema Wave #__?

TheLastWolf

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Easily one of my favorite characters from anything ever. 

After a while on the forum you start to notice the people who like what you you like, so that has lot of weight for me. I'll check out the parent series first. 

I always wondered about Gomorrah. Like I know what they got up to in Sodom, but why didn't Gomorrah get a verb?

Edit: By the way if anyone knows any movie producers I would like to pitch a To Kill a Mockingbird sequel called 2 kill 2 Mockingbirds. I'm not going to make it or write it, but I'd really enjoy pitching it I bet. 

4 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I always wondered about Gomorrah. Like I know what they got up to in Sodom, but why didn't Gomorrah get a verb?

There's no relationship between Gomorrah the tv series and anything from the Bible. Gomorrah is really a language variant (I don't know the proper word) for camorra, so the show title is basically just 'mafia.' The series follows the mafia clans of Naples, their internal politics and crimes as they descend into a mob war. You might already know this and be asking about the Bible city separately but thought I'd chime in.

I was joking about Gomorrahy. I just like the idea of accusing someone of it.  The poor fucks probably just like raised cattle with the wrong kinda hoof or something like that. 

I think I did know that about the show! because one of the guys was on Fargo and I clicked a link. But thanks! I think also they were referenced on Archer as like worse than the cosa nostra. 

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The Gomorrah spin-off The Immortal (L’Immortale) was soooo good. Didn’t feel unnecessary at all. I enjoyed both the flashback and post S3 segments equally. I just cannot praise Marco D’Amore in this role enough. Easily one of my favorite characters from anything ever. 

I got chills at the end when

Reveal hidden contents

Ciro sees Genny pull up.

The ending is such an awesome moment. Fist pumping with tears in my eyes for these lunatics

1 hour ago, WarGalley said:

Also wait, what does this mean in terms of viewing sequence? I haven't seen S4 yet..

28 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Id recommend watching season four before immortal but they take place at the same time for the most part. 

What Mark said. The movie takes place in Latvia and we basically just hear some reports about what’s going on back in Italy with Genny and whatnot. And then there’s a death reveal at the end for a character from the series. 

21 hours ago, Nictarion said:

The Gomorrah spin-off The Immortal (L’Immortale) was soooo good. Didn’t feel unnecessary at all. I enjoyed both the flashback and post S3 segments equally. I just cannot praise Marco D’Amore in this role enough. Easily one of my favorite characters from anything ever. 

I got chills at the end when

Hide contents

Ciro sees Genny pull up.

Whereas I chuckled, as it turned around

Spoiler

what that end-of-movie happy reunion usually is, which is long-separated hetro lovers are back together. 

I love the Gomorrah series, but this film, like the Deadwood film, felt fairly meh to me -- other than the location / production values, which were superb.

Over the weekend I watched Quicksand on Netflix. Please don’t waste your time. It’s nonsensical and hands down the most boring crime drama I’ve ever watched. The only redeeming quality is its being Swedish, which adds a non-conventional atmosphere and a most interesting, albeit skewed and unrealistic, I’m sure, insight into a Scandinavian society and lifestyle. 

15 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

On the last episode of The Man in the High Castle. It's been a fun ride, even if the show is just okay.

So I have some thoughts on this show now that it's finished. I won't give too many spoilers, but still...

Spoiler

I think the criticism of the show I heard going into it is fairly accurate. The first season is really good, and the second one is quality as well, but the third season has a noticeable decline and the fourth is totally forgettable. The show's biggest problem is it never makes you care about the characters, and when they kill a number of them off the shoehorn in new ones and you can not be bothered at all to give a shit about them. The protagonist becomes completely uninteresting after the second season. Meanwhile, the main antagonist, who is the show's best character, has an arc that's consistently in conflict. Sometimes he's evil and sometimes he's sympathetic, but it's hard to explain why he swings between these two starkly different characterizations. The show's ending only exacerbates this, and you're left not caring. 

Overall the concept for the show is excellent, the costume and set design is top notice and the acting is pretty good, but thee writing they're working with comes and goes. I would recommend checking out the first season or two, but I think you can check out early if you lose interest and still get most of the story. It ends just how you'd expect it to, despite all the twists in the last two seasons. 

57 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Your time in Experts has come to an end. 

The future remains uncertain and so it should, for it is the canvas upon which we paint our desires. Thus always the human condition faces a beautifully empty canvas. We possess only this moment in which to dedicate ourselves to the sacred presence which we share and create.

Archived