Watch Watched Watching: Indie Art Cinema Wave #__?

TheLastWolf

After watching History of Sitcoms, I discovered that CNN recently did another docu-series called The Story of Late Night.  It too was fun, informative, and nostalgic.

Also, I tried Yellowstone and gave up after the first 2 episodes.  It was just too dark and gruesome for me personally.

16 hours ago, Zorral said:

The Barefoot Contessa, on Amazon Prime. 1954, Ava Gardner, Humphrey Bogart, Spain, France and Italy, and in-between, Hollywood, with all the above there's nothing not to enjoy.  A fractured fairy tale-tragic opera, in which Cinderella meets her ultimate white knight, but he comes out of Hemingway's The Sun Also Rises.   I'd never see this film before though I've been encountering its title it seems all my life.  

~~~~~~~~

For those who were pleased by McDonald & Dodds, season 2 is releasing an episode every Tuesday this month.

It's one of those movies where you sense that there could have been a great film in there somewhere in different hands, the elements were all there, but never came together.  Peak Ava Gardner, always worth a watch. 

33 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

It's one of those movies where you sense that there could have been a great film in there somewhere in different hands, the elements were all there, but never came together.  Peak Ava Gardner, always worth a watch. 

Frank Sinatra kept bothering them, all over Europe! :D

Just finished Netflix's Untold: Malice in the Palace

I jokingly say the events that day were among the greatest in North American sports, in part because those fans deserved to get their asses kicked and it's one of the most vivid memories of my youth. I was watching the game at a friend's place, there were five or six of us, and I left midway through the 4th because the game was clearly over. Jerry's house was a five minute drive away from mine if I didn't hit any lights, but shortly after I left he called and told me what was happening. I stayed up all night watching the coverage.

The documentary is very well done, and you get the perspective of the five people you really want to hear from: Jermaine  O'Neal, Artest, Jackson, Miller and Ben Wallace (it's a shame Rasheed Wallace's interviews were left on the cutting room floor though). I was always a big fan of O'Neal's game and it was sad to hear in his own words just how much this event impacted his entire career. 

I watched the first season of The Movies That Made Us on Netflix and remembered enjoying it, so of course I strapped in for Season 2’s Back To The Future episode … holy fuck, I barely made it through. The editing was horrific, not once do they let any of the interviewees get a sentence out without splicing with some quip by the narrator or an unrelated ‘reaction’ scene from the movie. I’m a sucker for anything BTTF but so nearly switched this off after 5 minutes. Definitely won’t watch the other episodes.

Watched the Halston documentary which was 100x better than the Netflix series.  Both are hard to watch because the end is so sad, have now concluded that Ewan McGregor was terribly miscast as Halston, he's not handsome enough.  The now cancelled Armie Hammer would have been a much better fit.

McDonald & Dodds (2021) season 2

Watched last night "The Man Who Wasn't There." Its quirky manners were as fully engaging -- as was its Bath location -- as the series established out of the gate with first ep of the first season. This first second season episode was broadcast in the UK February 28, 2021. I felt, as Veltigar said back then, that this episode, at least, was even superior to the first season.

Some of "The Man Who Wasn't There" was shot during the height of the first waves of the pandemic. The episode takes notice of the epidemic, with elbow bumps, and an occasional reference to it, but not a whole lot -- just enough to be satisfying. Perhaps that was the strategy -- covid will be over sometime, and there are all the license broadcasts around the world and re-runs. The acknowledgments of covid are done plausibly, with sensitivity, wrapped by the episode's coda, in which the Dodds character speaks movingly how Bath is in winter, that the city is deserted and dark, the streets empty of people, and you think the light and people will never come again – and then there’s May Day, and the people return (we’re in Bath, a resort city), and so does the sun.  It was an affecting bit of monologue, not only for me the viewer, but for his partner, McDonald, though covid was never mentioned. Pathos and bathos both, entirely avoided.  For one thing, neither of the characters go in for such things. And for us watching, so acutely aware of covid at all moments, still living through another deadly surge, ourselves having gone through two endless dark winters with it already, it was meaningful enough that I felt a prick of tears under my eyelids, though I didn't cry any more than did McDonald. O yes, the mystery / crime was quite satisfying, a twofer, if one will.  Ha!

Watched the Netflix Coen brothers movie "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs".  I am a fan of the Coen brothers generally, although I'll admit they have a few misfires to their credit too.  But even their bad movies are usually at least somewhat interesting or amusing, like Hudsucker Proxy.  This movie was just...bad.  It's a collection of shorts and I watched the first 4 (about half the movie) and then turned it off.  Violent, pointless and only rarely funny.   I would have been much better off rewatching O Brother. 

25 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Watched the Netflix Coen brothers movie "The Ballad of Buster Scruggs".  I am a fan of the Coen brothers generally, although I'll admit they have a few misfires to their credit too.  But even their bad movies are usually at least somewhat interesting or amusing, like Hudsucker Proxy.  This movie was just...bad.  It's a collection of shorts and I watched the first 4 (about half the movie) and then turned it off.  Violent, pointless and only rarely funny.   I would have been much better off rewatching O Brother. 

I remember the first couple of shorts were actually good. I think that early musical number was really enjoyable. Which is why I was so disappointed by how bored I was by the rest of the movie 

I remember having no interest in the last segment of Buster Scruggs. I too liked the opening one, and PANSHOT! The one with the actor and the talented chicken really haunted me. I don't remember the others. 

I was surprised to learn recently that Ethan is done with movies, at least for now. Macbeth with be Joel's first solo project. 

I’m watching When Harry Met Sally. it is so gooood :crying: why don’t they make films like this anymore? It’s just so so good. It goes perfectly with the two big ass donuts I ate. I’m going to watch aaaaalllll great films in the autumn again. 

Archived