Watch Watched Watching: Indie Art Cinema Wave #__?

TheLastWolf

1 minute ago, Spockydog said:

Hasn't that basically been his schtick for the past thirty years?

I wouldn't say that long. There was a time where he was legit one of the best actors in the game, but he's been on a bad downhill slide since probably the second PotC.

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I wouldn't say that long. There was a time where he was legit one of the best actors in the game, but he's been on a bad downhill slide since probably the second PotC.

Edward Scissorhands was made thirty years ago.

9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Edward Scissorhands was made thirty years ago.

Yeah, but he's done some normal work since then before it went off the rails. 

9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

His court case against Amber Heard?

He certainly wasn't trying when making that hostage video with her over bringing their dogs to Australia.

32 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Oh, Jesus, that is soooooooo fucking weird.

What a pair of headcases.

The clip is pretty hilarious until you learn about their relationship. I believe they met on the set of The Rum Diaries, a terrible movie btw, and Depp just seemed to keep being that character in real life. I can’t remember what the number was, but he was spending an insane amount of money per month on just wine.

I am rewatching The Queen’s Gambit. I love every second of this series. It’s so good, it’s so beautiful, it’s so clever. An absolute gem. 

further autumn rewatches are lined up and I can’t wait. 

also, I tried to watch the constant gardener twice, but I can’t get through it, it’s just too boring. 

If rewatching, another thing that was awesome in the Queen’s Gambit is the changes in decor. OMG, the wallpaper! The fifties stuff changing to sixties is funny. And then I do old people things like “ look they have faded box of Q - tips.” The costumes are amazing , too.

4 minutes ago, HoodedCrow said:

If rewatching, another thing that was awesome in the Queen’s Gambit is the changes in decor. OMG, the wallpaper! The fifties stuff changing to sixties is funny. And then I do old people things like “ look they have faded box of Q - tips.” The costumes are amazing , too.

The cinematography is to die for, I could cover my walls with still from this show. Every single shot is absolutely beautiful. And I want allllllllllll of her outfits, there isn’t a single one I wouldn’t wear. My life goal for the next four weekends is to watch comfort films from my velvet armchair in a 60s style cardigan. I don’t know why this series speaks to my soul, but it has certainly booked a place my heart for the next ten years. 

Futurama Season 1. Over 20 years on and it's still phenomenally funny. If only it was never cancelled after season 4. It was fine when it returned but it just wasn't that funny any more. I mean it still had some very good episodes from season 5 onwards such as the late Phillip j fry, game of tones and stench & stenchibility. But overall the show had lost its spark, which was a real shame. I guess it didn't help that fry and leela were a couple but were just not that funny together like when they were single and had relationships/affairs with the radiator woman from the radiator planet or zapp branigan.

1 hour ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Futurama Season 1. Over 20 years on and it's still phenomenally funny. If only it was never cancelled after season 4. It was fine when it returned but it just wasn't that funny any more. I mean it still had some very good episodes from season 5 onwards such as the late Phillip j fry, game of tones and stench & stenchibility. But overall the show had lost its spark, which was a real shame. I guess it didn't help that fry and leela were a couple but were just not that funny together like when they were single and had relationships/affairs with the radiator woman from the radiator planet or zapp branigan.

Some of the episodes are devastating too, like the one with Fry’s dog.

On 8/26/2021 at 10:36 AM, Tywin et al. said:

The clip is pretty hilarious until you learn about their relationship. I believe they met on the set of The Rum Diaries, a terrible movie btw, and Depp just seemed to keep being that character in real life. I can’t remember what the number was, but he was spending an insane amount of money per month on just wine.

It was supposedly $30K a month, and then there was the claim he spent $3M on Hunter Thompson's funeral. 

He was still doing good work 10 years ago, Alice in Wonderland & Public Enemy, even if Alice was his standard schtick.  He was okay in Black Mass, but I agree w/whoever the look they gave him was very distracting.

*I was bored by everything about White Lotus.

1 hour ago, Cas Stark said:

It was supposedly $30K a month, and then there was the claim he spent $3M on Hunter Thompson's funeral. 

He was still doing good work 10 years ago, Alice in Wonderland & Public Enemy, even if Alice was his standard schtick.  He was okay in Black Mass, but I agree w/whoever the look they gave him was very distracting.

I thought he paid $5M just to fire Thompson's body out of a cannon. 

If $30k a month was his wine budget I guess JCVD's monthly cocaine budget wasn't that unreasonable. 

*I was bored by everything about White Lotus.

Almost through the next episode. I don't find it boring, but it's not as good as advertised. 

Also,  I don't believe anyone would cheat on Alexandra Daddario.

On 8/26/2021 at 9:19 AM, Heartofice said:

When was the last time Depp was good in something? Where he, you know, actually tried?

I think From Hell is one of the most underrated movies of the last 20 years.  There's also Blow.  Of course, those were both literally 20 years ago - 2001.  After that, yikes.

6 hours ago, Ghostlydragon said:

Futurama Season 1.

Been watching Futurama myself the past few days.  Didn't start at Season 1 though.  Started with all the "specials" they had between cancellation and coming back.  Have to say, I'm surprised they actually developed the Fry and Leela relationship in the last one they did before coming back for reals.  I didn't remember that.

By most accounts Depp was good in both Waiting for the Barbarians and Minamata, his last two films, but since no-one went to see them and they got mixed reviews outside the performances, they're not gonna go down as milestones in his career. Still, that sort of thing is probably the best thing for him as far as that goes, go chill in the indie and arthouse scene doing more interesting things for a while.

In the last 20 years I'd say Rango was his last good film, in 2011, but he didn't really have to do much as far as his performance went. He was good in Public Enemies and excellent in The Libertine.

It doesn't seem he's going to get the opportunity to take many big leads until and unless he can prove he didn't beat up Amber Heard, which since that isn't very likely to happen, he'll have to wait it out a few years until he can pretend  (or genuinely say, who the fuck knows) that he's a changed man and be accepted by Hollywood again.

Archived