Watch Watched Watching: Indie Art Cinema Wave #__?

TheLastWolf

7 hours ago, Rippounet said:

I find it great that She-Ra is really this weird blend of science-fiction and fantasy, that by rights shouldn't work, but somehow does. Season one was conventionally boring and predictable, but seasons 2 and 3 have been, well, good.
I saw that a season 6 is coming in 2022.

Where did you see that? I haven't heard anything about it, and season 5 seemed pretty conclusive.

7 hours ago, Rippounet said:

I'm also finishing the third season of She-Ra tonight, and that's entirely on @Veltigar because I wasn't even aware of this show's existence before he mentioned it here a week or so ago. Recognizing Catra from internet memes, I thought it might be a good family watch (with my almost 5-year-old) and it most certainly is (he just loves Catra).
I'm surprised it's that good tbh. Once you get past the, erm, particular, aesthetics, it's easily on par with other kid-oriented shows like The Lion Guard or The Dragon Prince, and comes close to ATLA, with Catra and Azula stealing the light as three-dimensional, tortured villains. And I find it great that She-Ra is really this weird blend of science-fiction and fantasy, that by rights shouldn't work, but somehow does. Season one was conventionally boring and predictable, but seasons 2 and 3 have been, well, good.
I saw that a season 6 is coming in 2022.

Oh, that is really great that you checked it out and enjoyed it. A feather on the cap of little old me. Awesome news that a new season is set to come out in 2022. I thought they were all done given how the show wrapped up but nice to hear they'll keep it going :) 

1 hour ago, felice said:

Where did you see that? I haven't heard anything about it, and season 5 seemed pretty conclusive.

I've probably been pranked. Google gives me two websites with a release date and a countdown to season 6, but on closer inspection the dates are different, and there are many articles saying season 5 was the last one.
Sorry about that. Didn't think you had to double check sources about kids' cartoons... Not to mention: what the fuck google, your first result is a prank website.

https://whenetflix.com/she-ra-and-the-princesses-of-power
https://releasedate.me/she-ra-and-the-princesses-of-power/

Saw Blast from the Past for the first time in years the other day. I always liked this film back in the day when it was played on a loop by our commercial tv stations. All these years and my opinion has hardly shifted. It's still a very enjoyable flick. I wish more films were able to be this fun with their ludicrous setting. I hope this film gets more attention now that there seems to be a Brendan Fraser revival going on.

Speaking of which, 199!-2002 were really owned by that guy. He's in so many fun movies from that time, like this one, Dudley Do Right and The Mummy and then all of a sudden he disappeared. Makes you wonder whom amongst the current crop of stars will be the Brandon Fraser of their generation.

49 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

Saw Blast from the Past for the first time in years the other day. I always liked this film back in the day when it was played on a loop by our commercial tv stations. All these years and my opinion has hardly shifted. It's still a very enjoyable flick. I wish more films were able to be this fun with their ludicrous setting. I hope this film gets more attention now that there seems to be a Brendan Fraser revival going on.

I got to go to the regional premier of this as a kid. Fraser was reportedly there, but I didn't see him. 

Speaking of which, 199!-2002 were really owned by that guy. He's in so many fun movies from that time, like this one, Dudley Do Right and The Mummy and then all of a sudden he disappeared. Makes you wonder whom amongst the current crop of stars will be the Brandon Fraser of their generation.

I wouldn't put The Mummy in the same category as those films. It's actually fairly good, given what it is. And have you seen BF lately? The years have not been kind to him.

8 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I kept trying to guess who the nomadic peoples were. I suppose they're descendants of the Mongols from the days when the Mongols had controlled Korea. I am inclined to agree with you. Also regarding the zombies

Actually no.  They preceded the Mongols, and are not related.  I did take a History of China class as an elective in school, but had to go to wikipedia to get these details.

The nomads in the show were the Jurchens, which had conquered Northern China (the south was ruled by the Song Dynasty, the west by the Western Xia) about 3 centuries earlier (the Jin dynasty) and held it for more than a century but lost it to Genghis Khan and the Mongols.  Part of why Genghis won is because the Han and Khitan subjects defected to him, I assume because they hated the Jin so much.  There really should be a whole Game of Thrones style series about that.  The Khitan once ruled over the Jurchens so probably didn't like that reversal of fortunes.

Anyway, the Jurchens lost Northern China to the Mongols, who created the Yuan Dynasty in the 1200s.  The show takes place in the 1400s but the Yuan Dynasty has already fallen to the Ming by then, who were Han Chinese.  

About 2 centuries after the show the Jurchens are now called Manchus.  The Manchus overthrow the Ming to reconquer China and form the Qing dynasty, which is the last dynasty before the communists.

7 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Actually no.  They preceded the Mongols, and are not related.  I did take a History of China class as an elective in school, but had to go to wikipedia to get these details.

The nomads in the show were the Jurchens, which had conquered Northern China (the south was ruled by the Song Dynasty, the west by the Western Xia) about 3 centuries earlier (the Jin dynasty) and held it for more than a century but lost it to Genghis Khan and the Mongols.  Part of why Genghis won is because the Han and Khitan subjects defected to him, I assume because they hated the Jin so much.  There really should be a whole Game of Thrones style series about that.  The Khitan once ruled over the Jurchens so probably didn't like that reversal of fortunes.

Anyway, the Jurchens lost Northern China to the Mongols, who created the Yuan Dynasty in the 1200s.  The show takes place in the 1400s but the Yuan Dynasty has already fallen to the Ming by then, who were Han Chinese.  

About 2 centuries after the show the Jurchens are now called Manchus.  The Manchus overthrow the Ming to reconquer China and form the Qing dynasty, which is the last dynasty before the communists.

Nice, thank you. One small correction - I think the show takes place in the early 1600s. Gunpowder weapons, Japanese invasions, which took place at the end of the 16th century.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

Nice, thank you. One small correction - I think the show takes place in the early 1600s. Gunpowder weapons, Japanese invasions, which took place at the end of the 16th century.

Ah, you're right.  Appears to be about 1601 AD.   So this is only 35 years before they take over China as the Manchus.

I missed which film you all are discussing, that seems to deal with Chinese history.  Sounds interesting.

Continuing with re-watch of The Last Kingdom, for which I am now doing something goofy:  I dug out a big silver ring I've had for years and never worn much and not at all since about 2001.  It's got a big oval of very bright yellow-orange amber set in the bezel, which one night Uhtred's sword pommel stone brought to mind.  So  now I wear it while watching.  Ha!

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

I missed which film you all are discussing, that seems to deal with Chinese history.  Sounds interesting.

Kingdom: Ashin of the North, the prequel movie to the Kingdom zombie series on Netflix, set in Joseon (Korea).  Ashin takes place way to the north on the border with Manchuria area.

2 hours ago, Zorral said:

Continuing with re-watch of The Last Kingdom, for which I am now doing something goofy:  I dug out a big silver ring I've had for years and never worn much and not at all since about 2001.  It's got a big oval of very bright yellow-orange amber set in the bezel, which one night Uhtred's sword pommel stone brought to mind.  So  now I wear it while watching.  Ha!

Go ahead, show your war glory. :P

18 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Watched the first 4 episodes of Reservation Dogs.  It's pretty charming. 

Full agree. Excited for the rest.

Outside of being deeply disappointed at how bland the second season of Ted Lasso is, I’ve been watching a lot more of Castlevania.

This seems to be a show that has really grown out it’s shell. I mildly enjoyed the first season, but felt it was a bit of a drudge even though short, second season seemed deeper but still didn’t always grab me. 3rd season it just seems to have evolved and grown into its own thing. I enjoy every one of the story arcs, almost all the characters, the writing is way above what I would expect from an animated show at times. 

I was only watching it for a bit of fun, but now I’m really hooked.

Anyway now that Love Island is over for another year I will have more time to devote to proper tv!

Archived