Watch Watched Watching: Indie Art Cinema Wave #__?

TheLastWolf

Judas and the Black Messiah: I was somewhat familiar with this story before seeing the film so there were parts that probably didn't have the impact for me that they did for others.

They pack an incredible amount of story into its runtime. The choice of POV's in telling that story was really interesting.  Brilliant film.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

I started too late and had to stop midway through, but what I saw was pretty good. Certainly better than any DC stuff I've seen in ages. 

We watched Suicide Squad last night and it was fantastic. Just a fun movie that had me cracking up throughout.

Just finished Suicide Squad.  It was indeed really fucking funny.  It was also really..really fucking stupid.  Way worse than Guardians, even the second one.  Hope Gunn just viewed it as a paycheck or something.

Been plowing through HOMELAND, into S2 so far and it's been some decent drama.

Damien Lewis and Claire Danes have dominated the screen time thus far, both in very strong roles.

Ironically I'm finding Damiens character much more likeable than Claire's despite him being the terror suspect and her being the CIA agent.:D

Also watched The Suicide Squad last night -- thoroughly enjoyed. Very funny, very stupid. Some of the stupidity it barely got away with --

Spoiler

69 joke? Still? I mean, I kind of laughed in spite of myself because it was so stupid and lazy ... but still kinda funny

King Shark is my hero.

1 hour ago, Week said:

Also watched The Suicide Squad last night -- thoroughly enjoyed. Very funny, very stupid. Some of the stupidity it barely got away with --

Hide contents

69 joke? Still? I mean, I kind of laughed in spite of myself because it was so stupid and lazy ... but still kinda funny

King Shark is my hero.

You did spend all those years rooting for Gronk.

Spoiler

When did HQ become a super soldier on god mode?

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I wonder if that was the most improved sequel? The list of sequels that are better than the originals has to be pretty short. 

It was a lot of fun, but I have to agree with others that it was also pretty stupid.

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Aye, and as far as I know there are plenty of versions of point Karate that allow full contact if it does happen. 

It's so weird that this is the one they went with for the games. 

Very disappointing and weird indeed. I'm about to start training and need some real motivation.

Kumite! Kumite! Kumite! Kumite! Kumite! 

Bloodsport it is baby!

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Shut up. That wasn't on par with Empire or The Godfather Part II. Or The Dark Knight. It was a lot of fun, but I have to agree with others that it was also pretty stupid.

Very disappointing and weird indeed. I'm about to start training and need some real motivation.

Kumite! Kumite! Kumite! Kumite! Kumite! 

Bloodsport it is baby!

First of all, Godfather Part II is not better than the first one. 

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I'm talking about the greatest improvement between the original and it's sequel. Since the first Star Wars wasn't a hot ball of garbage like Suicide Squad The Empire Strikes Back probably isn't worth considering, even though it was an improvement. Same with The Dark Knight. 

On 8/4/2021 at 8:31 PM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Watched Den of Thieves on Netflix based on a Chapo Trap House recommendation. I suspect those guys un-ironically enjoyed that movie a lot more than I did. 

They were absolutely right about the depiction of Los Angeles being unique. This is probably because this movie was actually filmed in LA and not Vancouver. They were also right about the Benihana scene (it was magical) and Gerard Butler's performance (also magical).

This is film is what we call a 'Friday night special'. You are tired after a long week and want to watch something entertaining that you don't need to concentrate on (bonus points if it's so bad it's good) while having a couple of beers and a takeaway.

3 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I'm talking about the greatest improvement between the original and it's sequel. Since the first Star Wars wasn't a hot ball of garbage like Suicide Squad The Empire Strikes Back probably isn't worth considering, even though it was an improvement. Same with The Dark Knight. 

Hence the edit.

19 minutes ago, RumHam said:

I've heard compelling arguments it is.  I prefer to remain neutral - and actually like to think of the two as one huge ass movie - but I think it's a reasonable argument.  Anyway, I don't the The Suicide Squad is that much of an improvement simply because I don't think it's that good.  I'd argue Terminator 2 is more of an improvement over Terminator (which has aged really poorly).

I've started watching the Kenneth Branagh/BBC version of Wallander (young THidds!) and I really can't fathom why the setting remains in Sweden rather than some small town in England near the seaside. Is the setting of Sweden so integral to the storytelling that one can look past a bunch of UK actors portraying English-speaking Swedes?

14 hours ago, Week said:

King Shark is my hero.

King Shark really grew on me.

Just finished The Suicide Squad. My take is about the same but maybe somewhat less generous. Some of the humor didn't work for me and overall I didn't find it massively funny.

I knew once James Gunn was given The Suicide Squad that he would take it in the right direction.

It wasn’t perfect but as a course correction it’s admirable. I have such utter disdain for the first movie which completely misunderstands what it should be doing with this property. That first movie took itself so seriously and was so incompetent that I feel unwell even thinking about it.

THE Suicide Squad is a big improvement, by playing up the stupidity of the concept and the lameness of the villains it can get away with so much more. 

I love it when people come in and take something that was utter garbage and find the gold in it, like saying ‘see this is what you should have done in the first place idiots!’

Also i saw a quiet place 2 and it was pretty good, that’s about all. First 10 minutes are great but the rest of the movie feels like an episode in a long running tv show. 

The plot of the movie seems so small and inconsequential, with no real resolution or ending that it can only work as a small part of a bigger whole. 

I guess it had its moments but seems pointless unless there are at least 4 more movies!

The Tomorrow War.  Great special effects, except the aliens were lame..... which brings me to the fact that its a mishmash of Alien(s) and The Terminator made by hacks.  Disappointing.

One Night in Miami.  Also disappointing.  Another in the ever growing list of movies that received fantastic reviews, which strike me as actually weak.  The art direction, sets and costumes were great.  Everything else, including casting: weak.  The only thing that had any emotional resonance was the finale with Sam Cooke singing A Change is Gonna Come.  I don't know whether that speaks more to the general mediocrity of Hollywood films today or was just Cooke's genius still shining through after 60 years.

I watched Sunset Boulevard as a palette cleanser after those two disappointments.  Man, they don't make em like that anymore.

Archived