Videogames Killed the TV Star

IlyaP

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

I think RDR3 would almost inevitably be about the gang in its heyday, 20+ years before RDR2.

That would be my guess although likely a different gang possibly with Dutch as a youngin'. Unless you want to essentially repeat RDR2 with somebody that isnt in RDR2 being the catalyst of change for Arthur as he was for John.

3 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Well the time period where RDR ends is just before WW1. Presumably they think you can't make a good western at that point. If they do an RDR3 I would guess back further or be about Sadie post RDR2. Doing a Jack story would be kind of redundant to John's in RDR1 as well.

I think anything up to around 1919/1920 could still cover a western story, though I agree that it'd probably be all the same themes as RDR1 about how this is the end of the west.

One option to make things different would be to set it in Alaska. You could easily do a western-style story there up to the 1940s or 1950s. Arguably a story set even today could hit some of those beats, depending on where in the state it's set.

4 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yep, I did it, but sadly Nick Fury didn't show up after the end credits to recruit Jack to join S.H.I.E.L.D.

The game says I completed 76% of the missions, but I believe I did everything besides outside of two purple missions (the ones where you have to collect flowers and help build a plane). Not really sure what else there could be to do. 

:laugh: I would play a rockstar crossover game. Gather the best protagonists from GTA, the Red Dead games (hey is Revolver any good?) The player characters from Manhunt and Bully...

and have them all star in Table Tennis II.

As for future Wild West games something where you're a native American could be cool. Could feature Dutch and his gang as antagonists in a couple missions. 

My MMO of choice, Guild Wars 2, put out a fun infographic for the game's 9th birthday including amongst some sillier things an absolutely incredible 99.9% server uptime stat. Which honestly is something they should crow way louder about - this game is never down to my knowledge and experience that percentage should be 100, seriously, you can always log in, there's never any downtime or queues or anything, whatever else I'll complain about ArenaNet the choices they made when setting up the, like, backend or whatever for the game were phenomenal - every other MMO out there has tons of mandatory downtime for weekly maintenance, for patches, whatever, and GW2 has none of that in a way that ever impacts the player thanks to their instancing setup and all that kinda stuff, it must just happen in the background. I do see occasional patch notes about server crashes so I assume that's where the 0.1% downtime is coming from but again it's on the back end and mostly invisible to players - one instance crashes if there's a server crash and we all can keep on playing anyway.

Gamescom had a bunch of trailers and things for upcoming games. As Teenage Mutant Ninja TurtlesShredder's Revenge -- a retro game inspired by the TMNT arcade game -- drew interest when it was first revealed, I'll include the new gameplay footage featuring a 5th playable character in April O'Neil:

Wonder if there's a chance they'll add Casey Jones as a playable character...

Also spotted a combo move between players (April leaps at a turtle and they can catch and bowl her at the enemy), and I think they're introducing a pizza-to-revive mechanic as well.

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

:laugh: I would play a rockstar crossover game. Gather the best protagonists from GTA, the Red Dead games (hey is Revolver any good?) The player characters from Manhunt and Bully...

and have them all star in Table Tennis II.

You're the monster behind the Fast & Furious/Jurassic World crossover idea.

But yeah, I am going to be playing through some more open world games from Rockstar. I've liked everything I've tried so far.

As for future Wild West games something where you're a native American could be cool. Could feature Dutch and his gang as antagonists in a couple missions. 

That could turn out to be problematic and would need to be done with a ton of care. Is there even a game like that that already exists? 

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

That could turn out to be problematic and would need to be done with a ton of care. Is there even a game like that that already exists? 

It's a very different kind of shooter, but you are a Cherokee in the original 2006 Prey. And as I recall, the response to that game was that the (relatively limited) representation of Cherokee culture in the game was treated respectively by the developers.

That's the only AA or AAA game I can think of where you play as a Native American; unless you count Turok, which doesn't really have a plot, or any of the fighting games that have a (usually offensive) character option.

48 minutes ago, Fez said:

It's a very different kind of shooter, but you are a Cherokee in the original 2006 Prey. And as I recall, the response to that game was that the (relatively limited) representation of Cherokee culture in the game was treated respectively by the developers.

That's the only AA or AAA game I can think of where you play as a Native American; unless you count Turok, which doesn't really have a plot, or any of the fighting games that have a (usually offensive) character option.

You play a Native American (well half but raised among them) in Assassins Creed 3.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Thanks. I'm just skeptical it could be done with a game of this size, and I don't think developers would want to try it give the costs at stake. I think your suggestion about Alaska is a lot better TBH. 

So for my birthday on Thursday I got a couple of metroidvania games. Ori and the will of the wisps and bloodstained ritual of the night.

I loved the first Ori game on xbox one and am a huge fan of castlevania, especially the 2d ones ever since symphony of the night so I'm sure I'll love both but can anyone confirm how good those are?

6 hours ago, Kaligator said:

Ori and the will of the wisps is everything a sequel should be. It is a phenomenal game and a triumph in visual and musical storytelling. 

How hard is it? 

I was in love with Blind Forest...until I reached a spot that I could not and have never been able to get past.  I might not be very good or my fingers are too clumsy or any other likely reasoning, but it completely ruined the game for me.  Otherwise the game was really, really great. 

23 hours ago, Rhom said:

I read somewhere that it has lost over 50% of its subscribers since 2017.

Probably true.  That would have been during Legion which was really good, though. 

I read that they aren't doing much work on WoW at all right now because they are waiting to see what happens to Blizzard.  Apparently, a lot of the problems were in the WoW camp.  I also read that it is still profitable and is actually financially very sound.  Not sure if that's true. 

I’m playing the ps5 version of Ghost of Tsushima: Director’s cut. You can fast travel from the top of the map to the bottom in like a second. Hopefully most games moving forward will be like this. It’s sooo nice. Iki Island expansion is pretty fun. They added a few things but its more of the same. Obviously it all looks even more beautiful now on ps5 too.

Horizon Forbidden West expected February 18th. Can’t wait.

22 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

I’m playing the ps5 version of Ghost of Tsushima: Director’s cut. You can fast travel from the top of the map to the bottom in like a second. Hopefully most games moving forward will be like this. It’s sooo nice. Iki Island expansion is pretty fun. They added a few things but its more of the same. Obviously it all looks even more beautiful now on ps5 too.

Horizon Forbidden West expected February 18th. Can’t wait.

I had planned to get GoT for the PS5; but could never find anything about a PS5 release.  

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

PS5 snobs...

Is the game that different though? I found it really easy to move around when I played it before.

I don’t remember there being long load times on the ps4, but it wasn’t almost instantaneous either.

A game like HZD should really benefit from the new consoles though, that game had annoying load times. Especially after dying. 

10 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

How hard is it? 

I was in love with Blind Forest...until I reached a spot that I could not and have never been able to get past.  I might not be very good or my fingers are too clumsy or any other likely reasoning, but it completely ruined the game for me.  Otherwise the game was really, really great. 

I'd say Will of the Wisps is pretty similar to Blind Forest in terms of difficulty, and it does have the same sort of difficulty spikes as Blind Forest with the escape sequences (which I'm guessing is where you're stuck). I found most of them to be tough but manageable, having previously finished Blind Forest, but I got pushed up to the border of rage quitting with the last one.

Will of the Wisps also has boss fights.

I do agree with Kal -- Will of the Wisps takes all the stuff that was great about Blind Forest and builds on it in a way that makes it even better.

Archived