Videogames Killed the TV Star

IlyaP

I like all of the Star Wars movies except episodes 1 through 3, because I just plain enjoy the Star Wars universe and I will go watch any Star Wars themed genre movie they care to release. I care more about what I like though rather than keeping up my geek street cred :dunno:

8 minutes ago, Ran said:

There's no such thing as a single person writing a triple A game. Sam Maggs is one of many writers, and is not the lead writer.

@briantw

I feel like someone can legitimately answer A New Hope without receiving opprobrium. 

Well, I did say that I wouldn't have qualms with someone picking any film from the original trilogy.  I might raise an eyebrow a bit at Jedi, just because the last act with the Ewoks was far too silly and in contrast with the tone of the rest of the film where the literal fate of the galaxy is at stake, and that probably should have been our first warning that maybe Lucas was a bit of a hack.

The Mandalorian is, to me, the first TV/movie set in the Star Wars universe since the original trilogy that really seems to capture the aura of those films. 

Just now, briantw said:

Well, I did say that I wouldn't have qualms with someone picking any film from the original trilogy.  I might raise an eyebrow a bit at Jedi, just because the last act with the Ewoks was far too silly and in contrast with the tone of the rest of the film where the literal fate of the galaxy is at stake, and that probably should have been our first warning that maybe Lucas was a bit of a hack.

Gun to my head, if someone told me to name one single SW movie and that's all I can ever watch again the SW universe, I would pick Rogue One.

Star wars fans legitimately chase off every single person who is interested in doing more star wars including George Lucas and apparently the only one who is remotely acceptable is someone who only does nostalgia and rehashes clone wars cartoons. 

Yall are precisely why we can't have nice things

2 minutes ago, kungtotte said:

Gun to my head, if someone told me to name one single SW movie and that's all I can ever watch again the SW universe, I would pick Rogue One.

I didn't hate Rogue One.  But it's kind of just off doing it's own thing as a stand-alone, single-entry film so I think a lot of people just don't really think about it too much.  Main issue I had with it was that most of the characters weren't particularly likeable and Forrest Whitaker stays and dies for basically no reason.

Just now, briantw said:

I didn't hate Rogue One.  But it's kind of just off doing it's own thing as a stand-alone, single-entry film so I think a lot of people just don't really think about it too much.  Main issue I had with it was that most of the characters weren't particularly likeable and Forrest Whitaker stays and dies for basically no reason.

The heroic last stand is kinda part and parcel of the war movie genre, as is the charge against nearly impossible odds, etc.

If they'd been wearing World War 2 or Vietnam costumes with tanks and planes instead of spaceships you wouldn't have bat an eye at any of that.

2 hours ago, aceluby said:

You should really try Path of Exile. Pretty sure it’s free on all systems and I’m having a blast with it. It’s pretty much everything I wanted in D3, but didn’t get. Only problem is that you really need a build guide as a noob, as it’s really easy to screw up your character. I really think you’ll like it if D2 is your all time favorite 

I might try it later, but Witcher 3 and its expansions were a free download from the store, so I'm working at that right now. Not sure how long it will take to beat given all the damn question marks, lol. 

4 minutes ago, kungtotte said:

The heroic last stand is kinda part and parcel of the war movie genre, as is the charge against nearly impossible odds, etc.

If they'd been wearing World War 2 or Vietnam costumes with tanks and planes instead of spaceships you wouldn't have bat an eye at any of that.

Yeah I agree.  I just think that the issue with the film is that the characters mostly kind of suck.  It's certainly a film that is much better made than the sequel films, or the godawful Solo movie.  It doesn't feel like a toy commercial disguised as a film in the way that the prequels did, either.

I just wish the characters had a bit more color to them.  It's usually a red flag when the character with the most personality is the robot.  :lol:

1 hour ago, Mexal said:

I played it for a bit. It's alright but I think it's way too complicated with far too much clicking, way too many things you need to collect or manage and as a result of all of that, requires microtransactions to either get some quality of life upgrades (new storage tabs that allow for greater organization and stacks) or currency (so you can trade/buy gear to make the builds decent since the drops are pretty terrible in terms of getting upgrades). Between maps, fragments of maps, the atlas, syndicates, temples, beasts, rogue harbor, league mechanics and more, there is just so much going on that keeps getting added over the years that makes the game far too complicated with far too much clicking.

I like The Last Epoch, which is still in early access, but seems to be a simplified, polished version of PoE mixed with Diablo. Really good game so far and can't wait for it to get full release.

I’m playing it on PS5, so no clicking, and have basically chosen to ignore most of that. Pretty much just playing it like D2. Have a path I’m using to put skills in while I destroy hoards of enemies and progress through the story. Figure I’ll learn the rest if I ever need/want. 15 hours in so far and I’m really enjoying it

2 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I might try it later, but Witcher 3 and its expansions were a free download from the store, so I'm working at that right now. Not sure how long it will take to beat given all the damn question marks, lol. 

You’ll burn out WAY before making a dent in all the side stuff. I’ve started and stopped that game so many times. I’ll be back to it again, but main story only

Just now, aceluby said:

You’ll burn out WAY before making a dent in all the side stuff. I’ve started and stopped that game so many times. I’ll be back to it again, but main story only

Yeah, Witcher 3 is a loooooong fucking game.  I hit all the question marks on the main map and all of the land-based ones on the Skellige map in addition to completing all the side quests that I could find and the main story plus expansions.  Steam tells me I finally finished the game at 148 hours.

I had quite a bit more free time six years ago than I do now, though.  I don't think I'll ever replay Witcher 3 just because the time commitment feels so daunting now.

12 minutes ago, kungtotte said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but Whitaker's character doesn't make a heroic last stand. He just stays to die when they're death staring his base for some reason. It's really weird. His death accomplishes nothing. 

14 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

Star wars fans legitimately chase off every single person who is interested in doing more star wars including George Lucas and apparently the only one who is remotely acceptable is someone who only does nostalgia and rehashes clone wars cartoons. 

Yall are precisely why we can't have nice things

Kal, people can only like Star Wars for the reasons that I like Star Wars -- if they think differently then they are awful, deranged, morons that must have an agenda and/or poor taste. Also, I actively hate and denigrate all new Star Wars that does not meet my arbitrary bar of quality because all Star Wars content should only cater to my tastes. Conservative but not too conservative and It has to respect the canon that was so carefully crafted by that  moronic piece of shit George Lucas.

...wait, AITA?

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

To be fair I probably sank well over 1,000 into D2 over the years.

I've sank over double that into Team Fortress 2 over the past decade-plus.  

It's a little different with a story-based game, though, as you kind of have to play through it with a set time frame less you risk forgetting what the fuck is going on.  I can't count how many times I've had to start games over because I got side-tracked for a few months and then totally forgot the controls and where I was in the story when I went back to them.

That's not really an issue with games like Diablo 2 or TF2 where you can just hop in and put in an hour or two here and there.  I played Team Fortress 2 competitively for a number of years, so I could play the game with my eyes closed, at least on the maps I know the best.

9 minutes ago, RumHam said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post, but Whitaker's character doesn't make a heroic last stand. He just stays to die when they're death staring his base for some reason. It's really weird. His death accomplishes nothing. 

That's my biggest complaint with the movie.  He's just like, "Yeah, I'm done."  He absolutely did not have to die.  They really should have structured that scene better with him doing something that allows everyone else to escape. 

3 minutes ago, briantw said:

It's a little different with a story-based game, though, as you kind of have to play through it with a set time frame less you risk forgetting what the fuck is going on.  I can't count how many times I've had to start games over because I got side-tracked for a few months and then totally forgot the controls and where I was in the story when I went back to them.

That's not really an issue with games like Diablo 2 or TF2 where you can just hop in and put in an hour or two here and there.  I played Team Fortress 2 competitively for a number of years, so I could play the game with my eyes closed, at least on the maps I know the best.

That's my biggest complaint with the movie.  He's just like, "Yeah, I'm done."  He absolutely did not have to die.  They really should have structured that scene better with him doing something that allows everyone else to escape. 

Or alternatively realizing that he'd lost his humanity in his battle against the empire and become something like a rebel Darth Vader and not wanting to go on. I wonder if something got lost when the movie was retooled. 

4 minutes ago, briantw said:

That was the point. He was done. He’d been fighting first the separatists snd then the Empire for decades. He was a mirror of sorts to Vader, wounded and turned dark with dealaor, and seeinrg the empire with a planetkiller despite his efforts. He literally was done.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

I've been playing for just a few days and have forgotten half the shit I can do, and I'm not even at level 4 yet. 

Lol, and it appears this isn't a game where you're the same player the entire time...

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lol, and it appears this isn't a game where you're the same player the entire time...

For the most part it is.  There are a few segments where you don't play as Geralt but the vast majority of the game is as him.

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

That was the point. He was done. He’d been fighting first the separatists snd then the Empire for decades. He was a mirror of sorts to Vader, wounded and turned dark with dealaor, and seeinrg the empire with a planetkiller despite his efforts. He literally was done.

Complete agreement on this one. Saw Gerrera had no fight left in him anymore. I thought there was something poignant about that, that he basically just accepted death because he was too tired and disillusioned to keep at it.

I am definitely a fan of Rogue One, a film that by its nature has to nod to the OT and so on, but does quite a lot that is its own thing, and did it well, telling a mature story featuring a bunch of entirely new characters. And a film that has spawned one of the new Disney+ shows that is forthcoming. Quite weird to see it all treated as if it didn't exist.

Archived