Videogames Killed the TV Star

IlyaP

42 minutes ago, Inkdaub said:

You are all high.  I loved every minute of Witcher 3.

Seriously. Geralt’s movement can get annoying sometimes as it feels like he’s on ice, but the game is near perfection in my eyes.

I’ve been playing Aliens: Fireteam Elite with 2 of my friends and it’s fun as hell. Shit gets pretty chaotic at times. I highly recommend if you’re a fan of Aliens or Prometheus.

On 9/14/2021 at 2:52 PM, Caligula_K3 said:

I think the main problem with the Witcher 3's combat is that it's pretty fun, but probably not fun or variable enough for the 100+ hours you'll spend in the game.

Strong disagree. But as with all art: de gustibus non est disputandum. I happily spent nearly 200 hours in Witcher 3. And would do it all over again. 

But it's not for everyone. It spoke to me, but not to you. That's cool. A game/art can't - and shouldn't - be everything to everyone. 

36 minutes ago, IlyaP said:

Strong disagree. But as with all art: de gustibus non est disputandum. I happily spent nearly 200 hours in Witcher 3. And would do it all over again. 

But it's not for everyone. It spoke to me, but not to you. That's cool. A game/art can't - and shouldn't - be everything to everyone. 

I'm not saying the witcher 3 didn't speak to me! It's one of my favourite games ever- between my two playthroughs, I've also probably spent over 200 hours in this game.

10 hours ago, Argonath Diver said:

Curses. I buy games so utterly rarely that I didn't even think to shop elsewhere. Alas I out in too many hours and can't refund. 

All good, I'll get likely a few hundred hours of the game over the years, provided eventually 'endgame' building is as engaging as early wandering.

And on top of that: It's Hello Games! The guys who became a memetic game studio redemption arc. You essentially financed the next three ambitious updates.^^

Some of my favorite D2 builds were minion builds, so I've been working on a necromancer in Path of Exile and it's been a blast.  I'm up to level 40 right now and can summon 6 zombies who are permanent, raise an enemy from the dead (again, permanent), and summon up to 7 temporary skeletons.  They all have skills to summon short lived pea shooters when they kill an enemy or strike a unique/boss.  I'm usually crawling through dungeons with 20-30 creatures at my bidding.  Today I start act 4 and see how long this load-out will work as I progress through some tougher enemies.

8 hours ago, Inkdaub said:

You are all high.  I loved every minute of Witcher 3.

I'm hoping to play a bit more Valhalla tonight. 

I loved every minute while high, drunk, and/or sober - twice (tho only once thru all DLC).

Might need to oil up the blades again this Winter when Season 2 comes out.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

Some of my favorite D2 builds were minion builds, so I've been working on a necromancer in Path of Exile and it's been a blast.  I'm up to level 40 right now and can summon 6 zombies who are permanent, raise an enemy from the dead (again, permanent), and summon up to 7 temporary skeletons.  They all have skills to summon short lived pea shooters when they kill an enemy or strike a unique/boss.  I'm usually crawling through dungeons with 20-30 creatures at my bidding.  Today I start act 4 and see how long this load-out will work as I progress through some tougher enemies.

Good luck. I have several thousand hours in POE but am generally done with it, though I love watching it on Twitch. I still play grindy games primarily, and POE is right with D2 as my ATG. 

There's an astounding amount to learn outside the game. Building a Nec as your first run through is wise - itemization isnt nearly as important. You may begin to hit a wall if your tree and skill gem setup aren't up to snuff, but i hope you're having a blast! It's an incredibly dark plot if you're bothering to dig into that part of the game.

7 minutes ago, Kaligator said:

Been playing hades every second of time I have free time on gamepass. It is every bit thr amazing game people said it is. 

I've been playing quite a bit too -- hitting a bit of a wall though. At around 20 runs with all weapons unlocked and gotten to the (presumably) final boss twice. I can clearly see that I haven't unlocked the next step in the game -- farming for Titan blood et al -- but kind of wondering how much I'll want to once I get there.

Oh well, hopefully I'll complete a run in the next couple. The furthest I've gotten was my last run where I basically gave up in the midst of Elysium and then had a pretty significant turn of fortune lol. 

Knowing what builds work and what don't against the last boss is a big deal. My first win was with the exagryph using cluster bombs (daedalus) and having dionysus trippy shot cast improved with various things. Knowing how to get the duo boons is a big help too - things like lightning rod, scintillating feast and a couple others make a major difference in how hard the final can be. 

Personally what made the game click for me was knowing how much influence I could have in a successful run. Picking what boons I get, who I get them from, what hammer upgrades to get and how they work - that made it go from some random thing to a roguelike version of Diablo targeting builds I wanted to do. 

I recently bought the souls like game Hellpoint on sale at the Epic Game Store. It's a small company, so the graphics are average, but it's fun and has a lot of cool design choices to differentiate it from the competitors. 

After playing two hours straight, I took a break and came back the next day. My game save was gone! I started a new one since I'd learned a lot anyway. Played another two hours, came back the next day, and the game was gone. I did some searching online and this has been an issue for the last year. The devs say it's "fixed" because you can dig deep into your PC files in the temp folders, find the save files, edit the save files (which is just a list of 1000s of words so you have to search a specific phrase and change it from "true" to "false.") It does work, but three days later I had to do it again!

Also, I the font size is like 2 point with no background. It is so hard to see. I saw a year ago, one of the devs on Reddit said they were working on fixing this (I'm assuming providing bigger font). So, I contacted that dev, and I told them it's more than a quality of life change, it's to support inclusive gaming for people who have physical reasons they can't see the font. The dev responded by saying, "We're not concerned about that anymore."

I was kind of shocked. The game does a Shadow of the Colossus thing where the spoken dialogue is in a fake language, so you MUST read subtitles.

Anyway, I thought I'd share. If you have this buried on a wishlist somewhere, and you believe devs should be responsive to issues of inclusivity in gaming, maybe delete that one!

I got to thinking about this issue a lot earlier in the summer when I was listening to the podcast How Did This Get Played, and the guest (Nathan Barnett) talked about being color blind and how it was so hard playing games growing up, and how lots of studios are listening to gamers and trying to include more inclusive features in their games. If you're interested in the pod ep:

Mortal Kombat with Nathan Barnatt, episode #96 of How Did This Get Played? on Earwolf

2 hours ago, Week said:

I've been playing quite a bit too -- hitting a bit of a wall though. At around 20 runs with all weapons unlocked and gotten to the (presumably) final boss twice. I can clearly see that I haven't unlocked the next step in the game -- farming for Titan blood et al -- but kind of wondering how much I'll want to once I get there.

Oh well, hopefully I'll complete a run in the next couple. The furthest I've gotten was my last run where I basically gave up in the midst of Elysium and then had a pretty significant turn of fortune lol. 

2 hours ago, Kaligator said:

Personally what made the game click for me was knowing how much influence I could have in a successful run. Picking what boons I get, who I get them from, what hammer upgrades to get and how they work - that made it go from some random thing to a roguelike version of Diablo targeting builds I wanted to do. 

Knowing how to get the duo boons is a big help too

Slightly reordered Kaligator's message here (hope you don't mind) to highlight the final bit because it can be quite important and ties in to his other comment, and I also want to build on it and mention legendary boons as well as others that have pre-requisites and how knowing them can help you build towards a much stronger more synergetic run. In this the in-game Codex is invaluable, though there are various (possibly more useful for clear understanding) flow charts and such on the internet too that could help with understanding the "tech tree" each god has and how they intersect with the duo boons.

It's worth mentioning also, because while there's a Nyx dialogue when she unlocks it for you I don't feel it's very clear and some players miss it, that checking out the options on the other side of the mirror can be very helpful - Dark Foresight in particular is generally regarded as much stronger than Olympian Favor, but in other cases the differing mirror options are balanced well and can simply give you new options that could be favourable to you and your play style.

To elaborate a bit on what Kaligator mentioned about having control over your run: when putting together a Hades run I already have most of an idea what sorta thing I'm going for by the time I've actually entered the run - in selecting a weapon and an aspect, and a starting Keepsake I'm already making some very significant decisions. I try and think about what a given weapon does, how it feels to use, what it's strengths are, and then pick a god to start with with the Keepsake that will synergize with that - for instance the Rail's attack is very fast hitting so it's going to work well with flat damage and applying debuffs quickly, which lends itself well to Zeus with his on-hit damage from the lightning, or perhaps Dionysus with stacking the hangover stacks up quickly for example. Just in case it isn't clear the reason I start with one of the Keepsakes given you by the Olympian gods unless I'm going for a different run feel is that they force that god to appear as the next god you find, and as such is one of the major ways you can gain control over your run since you can also swap Keepsakes out between floors and thus take on a new god Keepsake or swap to something more useful for the late game once you have the gods you want active in your run. I also prefer the flip-side re-roll talent which instead of allowing you to re-roll rooms allows you to re-roll the boons offered you by the gods, albeit with less charges, but I find it rather more powerful in forcing my way to the boons I truly want and need.

Hope that helps. If you have any specific questions or need less generalised advice feel free to let me know! Hades rapidly became one of my favourite games and while I'm not on the level of some of the streamers or speedrunners I have put in a lot of hours and don't think it'd be bragging to say that I think I've gotten pretty good at it at this point. 

Want to get to Deathloop but I need to finish Watch Dogs Legion first (not enough SSD space). And it's going on forever. It definitely improves over its length and some of the last few missions actually made a good fist of making you deploy different agents rather than just your favourite (currently a spy, who is insanely OP with a one-shot stealth pistol and a car with built-in missile launchers). It did occur to me that a full-on party RPG version of Watch Dogs could be good fun, though of course that would require Ubisoft to actually, y'know, take risks or do something unexpected.

Hopefully that's enough time for them to fix this stuttering problem on Deathloop.

6 hours ago, aceluby said:

Some of my favorite D2 builds were minion builds,

Not sure if you were into PvP, but there's a great loophole for Necs and Druids who can teleport. They were the only toons my 99FoH couldn't one hit kill. 

12 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not sure if you were into PvP, but there's a great loophole for Necs and Druids who can teleport. They were the only toons my 99FoH couldn't one hit kill. 

I never did much PvP.  Most of my play-time was in college and we had one copy of the game between all of us, so we would spend a few hours after studying rolling new toons and doing co-op.  By the time I was out of school and I could afford my own copy, I didn't have any friends playing so I'd just run necro & druid builds offline.  I've come around to the fact that I just don't like PvP that much - I'm just not very good at it.

Played some more PoE last night and my necro is a home wrecker.  I've got a bull rush spell that will spawn new minions + has an aura to increase damage + on hit will give my minions health.  I've got a golem that increases minion damage and spawns minions on kills.  All minion damage has leech.  I have 6 zombies that spawn minions on kill, and I've got 8 skeletons that spawn minions on kill.  In busy areas I'm running 40-60 minions.  Really need to get my next ascendency level that increases damage and health based on the number of minions you have.  Just finished act 4, so on to act 5!  Since the game is free, I'm thinking of actually purchasing some micro-transactions to support the devs.  It's really not necessary to play, but I've already got 20-30 hours out of this game and there are a few QOL things + extras that would be cool, especially if I roll some more toons.

1 hour ago, aceluby said:

I never did much PvP.  Most of my play-time was in college and we had one copy of the game between all of us, so we would spend a few hours after studying rolling new toons and doing co-op.  By the time I was out of school and I could afford my own copy, I didn't have any friends playing so I'd just run necro & druid builds offline.  I've come around to the fact that I just don't like PvP that much - I'm just not very good at it.

I think PvP is the best part of the game, and it's what motivated me to grind out different >95lvl toons to try out different things. It's a shame PvP in D3 is worthless. 

21 hours ago, Week said:

Lot to digest -- thank you both! Will report back with - I hope - more success.

They both gave you good advice, less good perhaps but also valuable I think at this stage since you haven't completed a run yet.... is don't worry so much about boons and such, that comes more into play once you've completed a run.  Focus on learning what enemies do, how they attack, how they move, once you get that you can then see how boons can enhance or detract from what you want to do.  If you want to just steamroll a run sure focus on that and go for a strong build you found on the net and you will; without any challenge difficulties on the game is incredibly easy with the powerful builds.  But that also means you may be missing out on other fun things you can do because you are forcing a certain comp.  My favourite run ever was one I just did on a lark as I had never taken the defensive (attacker takes damage when hitting you) boons seriously then just took every one I could and for the last boss fight I literally just didn't move or attack and he killed himself by attacking me.

This was a surprise. A second MechWarrior 5 expansion will put you in the middle of the Fourth Succession War, one of the big canon events of the BattleTech timeline. The expansion will also add completely-destructible megacity environments and melee combat.

It will also likely break all the mods again, which will be irritating.

Ended up buying some stuff in PoE.  Got a pack that included a weapon animation and bought a few extra stash tabs to keep stuff organized.  Usually I'm very much against micro-transactions, but with a free game that is this good, I just have to give them some support. Almost done with act 8, which means 2 left of the story before trying out end-game.  The league ends in about a month, so I'll give it that long to play around with some of the non-story stuff before rolling a new character

Archived