Trailer Thread: H8te Watching

AncalagonTheBlack

From the Academy Award®-winning director Jean-Xavier de Lestrade, Laetitia premieres August 30 on HBO Max.Based on true events, Laetitia chronicles the disappearance of a teenage girl in western France. Left to reconstruct the teenager's final hours for answers, investigators begin to uncover deeply troubling details of Laetitia's and her twin sister Jessica's upbringing. As they search to uncover the details behind her final days, this highly polarizing case casts a sharp eye on France's legal system, police force, social services, and how a single act of violence can impact an entire country.

The last trailer for Foundation before its premiere on the 24th:

Looks incredible, visually-speaking. Very curious to read reviews.

ETA: David Goyer has done a 10 minute breakdown of the trailer with a lot of behind the scenes detail, as well as setting and story information:

The trailer's focus on action - or rather the "guns and explosions!" type of action - leaves me feeling very wary, it's a significant departure in tone from Foundation, and one that feels kinda unnecessary given how much room for intrigue, drama, and some action too there is within the actual source material anyway (also the fact that Goyer keeps calling Foundation a trilogy in his commentary is making me very irritable and worried about the source material that's being ignored).

I'll always defend the movie I Robot because the source material is itself an anthology and I feel that the story they tell is in the spirit of the anthology, asking similar questions, dealing with similar themes, albeit told through the lens of a blockbuster movie, and as such it's a good adaptation to me. But what this trailer shows me? I want to believe that Foundation will similarly stay in the spirit of the books but the way the trailer seems to be pushing Gaal as a protagonist, the way it's setting up some fairly straightforward villains, the kinda... the type of story that it seems to be telling me it's gonna tell? Call me a sceptic on this one.

8 hours ago, Ran said:

ETA: David Goyer has done a 10 minute breakdown of the trailer with a lot of behind the scenes detail, as well as setting and story information:

I like the clone idea, of 3 copies of Cleon the first at different ages jointly ruling on the triple throne.

Archived