Trailer Thread: H8te Watching

AncalagonTheBlack

52 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8F1FBZvBPNg

Seeing Sudeikis in a serious role is a little surprising. Also, took me a second to recognize Freckles.

ETA: Don’t know why it’s only showing the link? 

That looks like a movie right up my alley even if the story or parts of the story have been done before. Barely recognized Evangeline Lilly. And I also had to look up the director who has a limited body of work, none of which I'm familiar with.

1 hour ago, Mark Antony said:

Looks visually stunning and the cast is great. Hype

It does look great, especially with the Academy ratio, though that combined with the black and white reminds me of Eggers's The Lighthouse a bit (though that was even boxier, at 1.19:1). However, I'm slightly concerned about the runtime. It's reported at like 105 minutes, 35 minutes shorter than the Polanski version as well as a couple of Royal Shakespeare Company filmed performances,  and 10 minutes shorter than the very-abbreviated Fassbender-lead film from a few years back. It will be interesting to see how well it manages to work with that level of cutting. It seems like the text will be faithful, besides the cuts, but perhaps Coen intends to fit in new scenes to bridge some of the cut points... or maybe he'll just chop up the dialog by a lot.

I'm not familiar with the novel at all, but the film looks interesting and has a good cast. Rebecca Hall is herself part black, as is her mother Maria Ewing, so I suspect it has some personal resonance. Black and white makes thematic sense for the cinematography. And another film going boxier -- this time at 4:3 aspect ratio, very close to Academy ratio.

20 hours ago, Ran said:

It does look great, especially with the Academy ratio, though that combined with the black and white reminds me of Eggers's The Lighthouse a bit (though that was even boxier, at 1.19:1). However, I'm slightly concerned about the runtime. It's reported at like 105 minutes, 35 minutes shorter than the Polanski version as well as a couple of Royal Shakespeare Company filmed performances,  and 10 minutes shorter than the very-abbreviated Fassbender-lead film from a few years back. It will be interesting to see how well it manages to work with that level of cutting. It seems like the text will be faithful, besides the cuts, but perhaps Coen intends to fit in new scenes to bridge some of the cut points... or maybe he'll just chop up the dialog by a lot.

That cast does look like they will tear the scenery apart, even if it has a short run time.

Still, it will be hard to top the cinematography of the Fassbender film, as the camera and settings and color and motion and shot combinations of that one were I N C R E D I B L E.  See also: 

18 hours ago, Ran said:

I'm not familiar with the novel at all, but the film looks interesting and has a good cast. Rebecca Hall is herself part black, as is her mother Maria Ewing, so I suspect it has some personal resonance. Black and white makes thematic sense for the cinematography. And another film going boxier -- this time at 4:3 aspect ratio, very close to Academy ratio.

I'm not surprised it was made into a movie. The underlying subject is rich and that part of the book resonated with me, but the overall story was just super boring and I didn't find it to be all that well written. It's been a while, but from the trailer it does look like they've made some changes though. Funnily enough in that same class I read one of the best books I was assigned in school: The Aquariums of Pyongyang. Not a light read by any means. 

Archived