Trailer Thread: H8te Watching

AncalagonTheBlack

7 hours ago, Fez said:

Could be fun, could be awful. But it has one heck of a cast:

Looked fun to me. I got strong 21 Jump Street vibes.. Tatum's made for this role. Never heard of the director but looks like one of the writers did 22 Jump Street.

18 hours ago, Fez said:

Could be fun, could be awful. But it has one heck of a cast:

So... I'm just going to name the elephant in the room... They made a movie set in the jungle without The Rock? What will he do if he finds out? I'd be worried if I was them.

8 minutes ago, GallowKnight said:

Maybe The Rock is the treasure they're looking for?

He'd more than fill a standard size treasure cabin suitcase, so I guess that works. Crisis potentially averted.

9 hours ago, Slurktan said:

Seems like a really goofy version of Romancing the Stone

At :42 of the trailer there's a giant poster centerscreen saying "Romancing the Page". I think this is what they were going for.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Very nice.  This is the sort of director who needs to do a Beowulf film or a Conan story.

He and his cinematographer were on the Team Deakins podcast and towards the end (1 hour mark or so) they turn to discussing The Northman, and Deakins asks if he'd be interested in doing a contemporary film (no) or perhaps science fiction (yes, but it'd have to be an original idea rather than adapting someone else's work). I suspect his answer on SF means he probably feels the same about adapting fantasy, although certainly the aesthetic of it can lie nearer to his preference for historical environments.

44 minutes ago, Ran said:

He and his cinematographer were on the Team Deakins podcast and towards the end (1 hour mark or so) they turn to discussing The Northman, and Deakins asks if he'd be interested in doing a contemporary film (no) or perhaps science fiction (yes, but it'd have to be an original idea rather than adapting someone else's work). I suspect his answer on SF means he probably feels the same about adapting fantasy, although certainly the aesthetic of it can lie nearer to his preference for historical environments.

Is The Northman really original? Plenty of historical examples of what the story is trying to tell and at one point in the trailer I was wondering if they had somehow secretly obtained the rights to Abercrombie's Shattered Sea trilogy. :P

7 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Is The Northman really original? Plenty of historical examples of what the story is trying to tell and at one point in the trailer I was wondering if they had somehow secretly obtained the rights to Abercrombie's Shattered Sea trilogy. :P

It's very loosely inspired by the Saxo Grammaticus rendition of the legend of Amleth, but per the podcast it's not "really" that and is its own thing.

That's very different than his adapting Conan or Beowulf directly. I doubt he'll revisit a Norse story, too. 

The last person I'd guess to be acting in a 'barbarian' film is Nicole Kidman.  This must have been a terrific break from her work of the last few years!  I kept trying to get a handle on how she was speaking her lines -- was she or was she not using some sort of accent to tell us she isn't a native English speaker?

I'd love to see someone do a really good screen-series adaptation of Nicola Griffith's Hild, far more than yet another attempt to do Beowulf.

17 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I kept trying to get a handle on how she was speaking her lines -- was she or was she not using some sort of accent to tell us she isn't a native English speaker?

Don't think Kidman has any lines in the trailer. Most of the them come from Anya-Taylor Joy(except for the brief line from Björk as "The Slav Witch"). I'm guessing Joy is supposed to be a Rus Viking or perhaps a Slav.

Archived