Trailer Thread: H8te Watching

AncalagonTheBlack

20 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

David Cronenberg says some people will walk out of this movie in the first 5 minutes.  Red band trailer:

Yep, that's definitely a Cronenberg film.

On 5/11/2022 at 5:43 AM, Corvinus85 said:

Sigh, they've finally done a movie not about a Western historical figure and this is the best title they could come up with. 

It's a terrible title, but the trailer does look interesting. I would say that your definition of "western" is probably a bit too narrow if you don't count a proto-Czech guy as Western :p 

19 hours ago, Zorral said:

Is he fighting Ottomans?

No. Mostly Germans and other Bohemians. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Žižka He was a Hussite and was a main general in the Hussite Wars. Before that he participated at the Battle of Grunwald fighting against the Teutonic Order. He made innovative use of the ever developing gunpowder weapons of the time and came up with the so called 'battle wagon.' Which is why this trailer doesn't impress me at all.

59 minutes ago, Veltigar said:

I would say that your definition of "western" is probably a bit too narrow if you don't count a proto-Czech guy as Western :p 

It's exactly what it needs to be. ;)

4 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

He was a Hussite and was a main general in the Hussite Wars

Thank you.  My ignorance of all this region's history is so deep!

Is it Grunwald I'm thinking of, one of the cities where the warfare of 14th-16th century was so incessant from so many sides, that for generations, every citizen, whether farmer or potter, was also a soldier as a matter of course, and weapons were made constantly, as a matter of course, and kept in great numbers in the towns' and cities' armories, some of which are still there to be viewed?

23 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Thank you.  My ignorance of all this region's history is so deep!

Is it Grunwald I'm thinking of, one of the cities where the warfare of 14th-16th century was so incessant from so many sides, that for generations, every citizen, whether farmer or potter, was also a soldier as a matter of course, and weapons were made constantly, as a matter of course, and kept in great numbers in the towns' and cities' armories, some of which are still there to be viewed?

I think you're thinking of the Swiss cantons, but I could be wrong. Grunwald is in northern Poland and it's primarily known just for this battle between the Teutonic Order and an alliance of Poland and Lithuania aided by forces from other Eastern Europeans nations.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I think you're thinking of the Swiss cantons

Nope, not Switzerland.  This middle, eastern European regions.  I read about this some years back in a broad history of the region.  I never wrote down the name of the city's armory (not my area of history, I thought -- and I can always find it again -- wrong!), and I've not rediscovered it yet.  I just recall it started with a "G".

31 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Nope, not Switzerland.  This middle, eastern European regions.  I read about this some years back in a broad history of the region.  I never wrote down the name of the city's armory (not my area of history, I thought -- and I can always find it again -- wrong!), and I've not rediscovered it yet.  I just recall it started with a "G".

The Styrian Armory in Graz then?

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

YES! Thank you.  I don't quite get it -- searching I have typed in Graz more than once.  However, I must not have done so, and typed "Grau" and suchlike, since I didn't find it.  Also I had the date wrong, remembering incorrectly, from the 14th century ....

Archived