Trailer Thread: H8te Watching

AncalagonTheBlack

In Select Theaters November 24 and on Netflix December 10.

Released from prison after serving a sentence for a violent crime, Ruth Slater (Sandra Bullock) re-enters a society that refuses to forgive her past. Facing severe judgment from the place she once called home, her only hope for redemption is finding the estranged younger sister she was forced to leave behind.

Starring Sandra Bullock, Vincent D’Onofrio, Jon Bernthal, Richard Thomas, Linda Emond, Aisling Franciosi, Rob Morgan, and Viola Davis.

Monsters are around every corner… Irvine Welsh’s Crime - starring Dougray Scott, Joanna Vanderham and Angela Griffin - is streaming exclusively on BritBox from 18th November!

Dr. Brain, the first Korean Apple Original is coming your way.

Directed by the visionary filmmaker Kim Jee-Woon (THE AGE OF SHADOWS, A BITTERSWEET LIFE, A TALE OF TWO SISTERS), starring Lee Sun-Kyun (PARASITE). Get ready for a mind-bending journey with a genius neuroscientist who navigates through other people’s memories in search of the truth.

Six midwestern men — all survivors of childhood sexual assault at the hands of Catholic priests and clergy — come together to direct a drama therapy-inspired experiment designed to collectively work through their trauma. As part of a radically collaborative filmmaking process, they create fictional scenes based on memories, dreams and experiences, meant to explore the church rituals, culture and hierarchies that enabled silence around their abuse.

@WarGalley

I still don't think this thing should exist, but I'll give them this, this trailer is the first one that makes it look like they're all genuinely trying to capture the style and feel of Cowboy Bebop within the confines of live action. 

This has zero chance of being a classic live action SF program, whereas the anime is a classic of its genre, so by that measure it is a guaranteed failure. But maybe it'll be all right.

The best thing about it, IMO, is Netflix landing the Cowboy Bebop rights. I've just started rewatching. 

7 hours ago, Ran said:

@WarGalley

I still don't think this thing should exist, but I'll give them this, this trailer is the first one that makes it look like they're all genuinely trying to capture the style and feel of Cowboy Bebop within the confines of live action. 

Agreed that this trailer is much better. And Mustafa Shakir is 100% nailing Jet. If everything and everyone was as good as he seems to be, I think this could be an amazing adaptation. I'm still not sold on John Cho at all though; Daniella Pineda hasn't been in the trailers enough for me to comment.

Also, I simply don't see the need for making a 1-to-1 faithful recreation of the anime, which this seems to be. Why not tell different, original stories about the crew's time together? That at least would be some justification for making this.

2 hours ago, Fez said:

Also, I simply don't see the need for making a 1-to-1 faithful recreation of the anime, which this seems to be. Why not tell different, original stories about the crew's time together? That at least would be some justification for making this.

Yeah, having just started Cowboy Bebop myself, I'm not sure I'm going to want to watch a live action recreation (which is what this appears to be) immediately after. It almost sort of cannibalizes the  original content for people that watch this show and who have not seen the anime.

From the executive producers of Lost, FROM unravels the mystery of a nightmarish town in middle America that traps all those who enter. As the unwilling residents fight to keep a sense of normalcy and search for a way out, they must also survive the threats of the surrounding forest – including the terrifying creatures that come out when the sun goes down.

HBO’s four-episode limited series Landscapers, starring Emmy-winner Olivia Colman and Emmy nominee David Thewlis, debuts Monday, December 6 on HBO and will be available to stream on HBO Max.

Inspired by real events, Landscapers tells a unique love story involving Chris and Susan Edwards (Thewlis and Colman), a seemingly ordinary British couple who become the focus of an extraordinary investigation when two dead bodies are discovered in the back garden of a house in Nottingham.

Director: Paul Verhoeven
Starring: Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Daphne Patakia

25 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

What is going on here? I thought he was a toy? I've only ever watched the first two Toy Story movies.

Think the G.I. Joe toys and the G.I. Joe cartoon. Each toy had a whole bio and back story, and the cartoons were basically commercials using that world and character building. Lightyear is the animated movie about the Space Rangers and Buzz Lightyear from the Toy Story universe, that led to the creation of the Buzz Lightyear toy. Or that's my understanding, anyways.

To put it another way, Lightyear is to the Toy Story universe as Toy Story is to our universe.

@SpaceChampion

That looks excellent. Gives me The Leftovers vibes. And a big fan of Mackenzie Davis, to boot. Will definitely be checking this one out. Have not read the book by Emily St. John Mandel,, though GRRM praised it quite heavily and said it was the best book he read in 2014. (I see he also hosted her at his movie theater for a Q&A.)

For me the prose and presentation of the book was a lot stronger than its actual plot, so I'm not certain how well it's gonna translate to screen where the former doesn't apply and the latter is gonna need some major adjustments to work. Being a miniseries does make it more promising, because there's a sort of episodic aspect to how it's told that wouldn't make sense at all in a film. 

2 hours ago, Ran said:

@SpaceChampion

That looks excellent. Gives me The Leftovers vibes. And a big fan of Mackenzie Davis, to boot. Will definitely be checking this one out. Have not read the book by Emily St. John Mandel,, though GRRM praised it quite heavily and said it was the best book he read in 2014. (I see he also hosted her at his movie theater for a Q&A.)

I got to admit I keep confusing this title with Downbelow Station by C J Cherryh, which I haven't read either.

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

For me the prose and presentation of the book was a lot stronger than its actual plot, so I'm not certain how well it's gonna translate to screen where the former doesn't apply and the latter is gonna need some major adjustments to work. Being a miniseries does make it more promising, because there's a sort of episodic aspect to how it's told that wouldn't make sense at all in a film. 

I remember absolutely loving the book, but if you asked me to tell you the plot I'd really struggle. 

1 hour ago, Fez said:

I guess maybe this is a leak, since I haven't seen it officially posted anywhere, but here's another trailer/teaser for Cowboy Bebop:

Posted by "Radical Edward", who posted the video two days after they created their account.

Smells like viral marketing.

Having just finished a Cowboy Bebop rewatch, Ed is going to be pretty impossible to translate to the screen faithfully. There's just no way to make such an oddball kid work in live action. Will have to be toned way back, I expect.

Also having finished it, they really are seeming to be remaking a lot of scenes... I still don't get the idea behind the show. I thought that the plan was that they were going to give "lost sessions", events that happened between episodes of the original, but it kind of seems like they want to mostly remake the greatest hits of the anime. Or are they planning to use those as flashback devices to wink and nod between new original stories?

I still don't understand its existence, but whatever. Some of the VFX looks nice,

Archived