LOTR series: a view of the Two Trees

Ser Scot A Ellison

59 minutes ago, Krishtotter said:

Yup, the supporting press release from Amazon confirms that The Rings of Power will indeed not just be set during the late Second Age but aims to cover all of the main events from the forging to the Last Alliance: 

https://www.empireonline.com/tv/news/amazon-lord-of-the-rings-series-official-title-rings-of-power/

"This is a title that we imagine could live on the spine of a book next to J.R.R. Tolkien’s other classics,” showrunners J.D. Payne and Patrick McKay said in a statement. “The Rings of Power unites all the major stories of Middle-earth’s Second Age: the forging of the rings, the rise of the Dark Lord Sauron, the epic tale of Númenor, and the Last Alliance of Elves and Men. Until now, audiences have only seen on-screen the story of the One Ring – but before there was one, there were many… and we’re excited to share the epic story of them all.”

In one season?

I assume this is the plan for all 5 seasons unless they wish to go into Third Age stuff, too. I forget what rights they have. 

But as we've discussed here, 5 season can certainly cover all the main even of the Second Age pretty well and allow them to make up stuff to fill in the timeline gaps. If done well, a nonlinear story can certainly be good.

1 hour ago, Krishtotter said:

The process was captured in slow motion for a live-action video, which features voice-over narration of lines from Tolkien’s famous “Ring Verse,” describing the intended recipients of the 20 Rings of Power. The bespoke title treatment appears crafted in a silvery metal, with lines of Elvish script inscribed along the crest of each letterform.

Oh dear. I mean it is an entirely meaningless marketing blurb and I should not get too pessimistic (and neither should one get too excited), but this might not bode well for the series' faithfulness considering that Celebrimbor nor Sauron ever intended to give the Rings to Men or Dwarves and that Sauron was not a "recipient" either.

Also the repetition in the title is rather questionable.

The Lord of the Rings... What rings? The Rings of Power! Oh, I see, now!

That title is just.. gah. I cannot get over the repetition.

But I'm happy they decided to include the events around the forging of the Rings. It would have been bizarre if they skipped that. 

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

In one season?

Across the entirety of the series I imagine, hence why the press release notes "multi-season".

25 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

The Lord of the Rings... What rings? The Rings of Power! Oh, I see, now!

That title is just.. gah. I cannot get over the repetition.

But I'm happy they decided to include the events around the forging of the Rings. It would have been bizarre if they skipped that. 

I think the show will basically be called The Rings of Power and known as such. As one can see from the marketing material, The Lord of the Rings is only there in very small script at the top. I think its merely a lead-in for casual fans so as to use the familar and established brand. 

But I agree that the repetition of "rings" twice is rather jarring.

Cogman was just a creative consultant.

According to filming leaks, Isildur, Ar-Pharazon and Elendil are major characters in Season 1, so they're not doing "all of the Second Age" unless they're doing a shedload of flashbacks.

Some other rumours today that the first two episodes are, combined, three hours long and will start off with an "in the beginning" story covering the War of the Jewels and then covering the forging of the Rings in a movie-length narrative. Episode 3 then presumably starts in the "present", just before Ar-Pharazon comes to power, when he's just a prince (his father, IIRC, repented Numenor's previous decline and tried to reestablish the alliance with the elves).

29 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

More than 240 countries? Did the USA disappear while I was sleeping and we now have 50 more countries on our hands?

Perhaps the show will stream in the various nations of Middle Earth, too? Still doesn't bring the number up to 240, though who knows how many nations are in the East and South?

33 minutes ago, Clueless Northman said:

More than 240 countries? Did the USA disappear while I was sleeping and we now have 50 more countries on our hands?

Clearly they're thinking preemptively and including all the Moon and Mars countries that Bezos will found.

15 hours ago, Werthead said:

(his father, IIRC, repented Numenor's previous decline and tried to reestablish the alliance with the elves).

Uncle.

Anyway,  The Rings of Power strikes me as a perfectly good title, and I thought the one minute teaser pretty clever and well-done.

16 hours ago, Werthead said:

Cogman was just a creative consultant.

According to filming leaks, Isildur, Ar-Pharazon and Elendil are major characters in Season 1, so they're not doing "all of the Second Age" unless they're doing a shedload of flashbacks.

Some other rumours today that the first two episodes are, combined, three hours long and will start off with an "in the beginning" story covering the War of the Jewels and then covering the forging of the Rings in a movie-length narrative. Episode 3 then presumably starts in the "present", just before Ar-Pharazon comes to power, when he's just a prince (his father, IIRC, repented Numenor's previous decline and tried to reestablish the alliance with the elves).

That all sounds good to me. This show deserves a shot, I'm surprised by the negativity here on the board before we've seen a second of footage. But then again even Game of Thrones was harshly critiqued here.

9 hours ago, Prince Yourwetdream Aeryn said:

This show may be going to be disappointment as GOT. But teaser was the greatest idea if you want to set up the Second Age lotr story.

It can't be as big a disappointment as GoT because the expectations for it are already so low.

Archived