LOTR series: a view of the Two Trees

Ser Scot A Ellison

"her brother" -- guess they're getting rid of Aegnor and Angrod and just leaving us with Finrod.

The "documentary" remark at the end smacks of "themes are for eighth-grade book reports", but right before a single episode has even aired rather than on the verge of a third season.

4 minutes ago, Ran said:

"her brother" -- guess they're getting rid of Aegnor and Angrod and just leaving us with Finrod.

The "documentary" remark at the end smacks of "themes are for eighth-grade book reports", but right before a single episode has even aired rather than on the verge of a third season.

So in 50 episodes covering maybe 5-10 years, we're going to get Sauron's return, the forging of the Rings, the Rings being given to the Elves, Dwarves and Men, the collapse of Numenor, Sauron's return, the founding of Arnor and Gondor, and then the war?

Compacting so much history into such a small timeframe is a terrible idea. It's one thing for some of these things to happen separately, but if they happen together, the tenor of the entire tale is changed.

Also, Isildur is a sailor? Pretty sure he's going to end up getting Aldarion's storyline. 

27 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

The current update is the Meteor man is a villain and people think it may actually be Sauron...

Oh yeah, forgot about that guy. What if they decided to have Earendil come crashing down as a sign of foreboding? The Star of Earendil is no longer visible, the Shadow returns, dark days are coming. 

20 minutes ago, Ran said:

It's a weird one. Considering how much the dangers of preservation and attempting the prevention of decay plays a theme in Tolkien's concept of the Second Age, as well as the continuing decline of the Elves in Middle-Earth and men's, espescially those gifted with elongated time, fear of death as central developments in the story... too much condensing will surely take a lot away from those elements? 

Fortunately, it's easy enough to simply not watch.

It's interesting to think that once there was a time when it'd be crazy to think that I'd skip a major genre show... but we have an embarrassment of riches these days and now I can watch what I think will actually interest me rather than hoping something will do so just because it's genre, or a beloved story. I've skipped MCU stuff, new Star Wars TV stuff, HBO's Watchmen, several seasons of GoT, Picard, the latest season of Discovery, etc. without feeling like I'm missing anything. Couldn't have imagined that, twenty years ago. This show will just join that particular bin.

Amazon is not having a great batting average with me and its originals, I have to say.

12 minutes ago, Ran said:

Fortunately, it's easy enough to simply not watch.

It's interesting to think that once there was a time when it'd be crazy to think that I'd skip a major genre show... but we have an embarrassment of riches these days and now I can watch what I think will actually interest me rather than hoping something will do so just because it's genre, or a beloved story. I've skipped MCU stuff, new Star Wars TV stuff, HBO's Watchmen, several seasons of GoT, Picard, the latest season of Discovery, etc. without feeling like I'm missing anything. Couldn't have imagined that, twenty years ago. This show will just join that particular bin.

Amazon is not having a great batting average with me and its originals, I have to say.

HBO's Watchmen was a great show. What made you skip it?

28 minutes ago, Darryk said:

This...doesn't look great.

Galadriel as some kind of warrior princess? Not buying it.

Young Elrond looks like someone out of Grease.

Lindon lovin' had me a blast
Lindon lovin', happened so fast
I met a elf maid crazy for me
I met a loremaster, cute as can be
Lindon days driftin' away,

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

The final paragraph basically gives the story and is the most telling. And frankly I disagree with their decision. They're fine with inventing characters but don't wish to try to develop established characters that live and die in a certain period?

A series made by hacks who're basically wanking doing fan-fiction.

2 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

That really doesn't sound like the 'long defeat' of the Second Age to me. 

The series, on the other hand, will be the "long defeat" for Tolkien and his fans.

6 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

So in 50 episodes covering maybe 5-10 years, we're going to get Sauron's return, the forging of the Rings, the Rings being given to the Elves, Dwarves and Men, the collapse of Numenor, Sauron's return, the founding of Arnor and Gondor, and then the war?

Compacting so much history into such a small timeframe is a terrible idea. It's one thing for some of these things to happen separately, but if they happen together, the tenor of the entire tale is changed.

Also, Isildur is a sailor? Pretty sure he's going to end up getting Aldarion's storyline. 

The time compression turned my head too.  They’re going to make Tolkien’s sub-creation feel very very small… aren’t they?

From the Vanity Fair article… what the hell?

she’s struggling for survival on a raft in the storm-swept Sundering Seas alongside a mortal castaway named Halbrand (Charlie Vickers), who is a new character introduced in the show. Galadriel is fighting for the future; Halbrand is running from the past. 

29 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Elrond is “Politically Ambitious”???

What the hell?  Elrond could have attempted to claim the Nolderan High Kingship… and didn’t.  How the hell is he “politically ambitious”?

Sounds like you were expecting a documentary, Scot.

Yeesh you guys are negative.  Not saying you're wrong, but damn.  I didn't have much of a problem with what was written in the Vanity Fair puff piece until the end there - the idea that they are squishing the entire Second Age into, apparently, a single lifetime is very disconcerting.  I can't help but juxtapose their rationale with The Crown - where Morgan has been entirely fine recasting the entire cast of the same characters every two years to depict their aging.  

Also agree that the depiction of Galadriel as a warrior princess looks/sounds very stupid.  And yeah, Elrond looked pretty douchy, but I'm not gonna draw any conclusions from that.

There are so many ways they could handle a larger timeframe without the (legitimate) concerns of recasting humans every season.

Flash forwards and backwards could be used to intertwine stories.

The same actors could play descendants.

But hey; let’s just make it happen pretty quickly. 

Probably not a complete dealbreaker before it airs for me… but definitely a strike against.

Archived