LOTR series: a view of the Two Trees

Ser Scot A Ellison

I think this is all just a bad idea. There's an entire generation that grew up with Peter Jackson's trilogy, and this is just not going to recapture the magic for them.

If they were making a series from The Silmarillion I'd be more interested but they clearly just want to milk the LOTR license.

26 minutes ago, Darryk said:

I think this is all just a bad idea. There's an entire generation that grew up with Peter Jackson's trilogy, and this is just not going to recapture the magic for them.

If they were making a series from The Silmarillion I'd be more interested but they clearly just want to milk the LOTR license.

I'm not particularly enthused about this project either, but I think it's perfectly logical for them to want to focus on the Second Age. It is directly tied to the trilogy, and has enough of interest going on.

The First Age would have been absolutely bonkers for them to try and adapt. The timelines and stories are as screen-unfriendly as they can be, added to which, you're going to have to do a substantial number of gigantic battles.

Select stories from the First Age are fine for adaptation. The whole of the Silmarillion? I'm glad they aren't (and can't, I believe?) trying. 

31 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Kinda weird reasoning.

They have the biggest and probably most exciting property in epic Fantasy, why would you not want to use it? I dont see why the fact that very succesful LoTR films were made, should mean its not a great idea to make a tv show set in the also very interesting Second Age.

The Hobbit films had a very mixed reception, you could also look at this at a chance for Middle Earth redemption ( which I dont think is necessary btw).

20 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

I'm not particularly enthused about this project either, but I think it's perfectly logical for them to want to focus on the Second Age. It is directly tied to the trilogy, and has enough of interest going on.

The First Age would have been absolutely bonkers for them to try and adapt. The timelines and stories are as screen-unfriendly as they can be, added to which, you're going to have to do a substantial number of gigantic battles.

Select stories from the First Age are fine for adaptation. The whole of the Silmarillion? I'm glad they aren't (and can't, I believe?) trying. 

Well they said LOTR was unadaptable before it happened.

Maybe you're right; but personally I think there are ways to make it work and I've had scenes pictured in my head since I first read The Silmarillion in my late teens.

It at least would have been bolder on their part; I think calling this "The Rings of Power" is very clearly trying to link it to the license in a rather forced way. As far as I remember the rings only play a role later in the Second Age; it's mainly Sauron manipulating the Númenóreans and turning them against the Valar?

17 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

Kinda weird reasoning.

They have the biggest and probably most exciting property in epic Fantasy, why would you not want to use it? I dont see why the fact that very succesful LoTR films were made, should mean its not a great idea to make a tv show set in the also very interesting Second Age.

The Hobbit films had a very mixed reception, you could also look at this at a chance for Middle Earth redemption ( which I dont think is necessary btw).

Well good luck to them; the sentiment I'm getting online is that there's a large portion of fans of the LOTR trilogy who are just waiting to tear this apart.

33 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Well they said LOTR was unadaptable before it happened.

Maybe you're right; but personally I think there are ways to make it work and I've had scenes pictured in my head since I first read The Silmarillion in my late teens.

It at least would have been bolder on their part; I think calling this "The Rings of Power" is very clearly trying to link it to the license in a rather forced way. As far as I remember the rings only play a role later in the Second Age; it's mainly Sauron manipulating the Númenóreans and turning them against the Valar?

Well good luck to them; the sentiment I'm getting online is that there's a large portion of fans of the LOTR trilogy who are just waiting to tear this apart.

I don't think the "LotR is unadaptable!" thing was really widespread in 2001. In the 1960s and 1970s when people talked about it, sure, people thought it couldn't be done. Even in the 1980s and early 1990s with Spielberg around and better practical effects, it was seen as a long shot. But by the late 1990s, especially post-Jurassic Park, I think most people agreed an adaptation was feasible.

The main problem with this series is the sheer volume of original invention that is required by writers who are TV drama writers first and foremost and Tolkien scholars/experts a very, very distant second (if at all). New characters, new storylines, new factions, new ideas that will have to be invented out of whole cloth to support the very small amount of writing and lore Tolkien did on this time period. That I think is the danger of the idea.

• 2 weeks later...

On one hand, the props and the costumes all look great. It seems that the production values are going to be top notch.

On the other hand... there seems to be one numerorean, one elf, one dwarf, one rohirrim, one haradrim, and even someone who may be an istari... I don't know. I'm afraid that they are introducing all the familiar races from lotr just for the sake of it, and there's the risk that we end with a mish mash of stories that makes little sense.

10 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

On one hand, the props and the costumes all look great. It seems that the production values are going to be top notch.

On the other hand... there seems to be one numerorean, one elf, one dwarf, one rohirrim, one haradrim, and even someone who may be an istari... I don't know. I'm afraid that they are introducing all the familiar races from lotr just for the sake of it, and there's the risk that we end with a mish mash of stories that makes little sense.

Hobbits and Nazgul too. 

I've definitely wondered if the show will feel overstuffed.

27 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

:grumble:

The Istari weren’t sent to ME until the Third Age.

:grumble:

It's a Second Age show, right? That's not a Rohir, then. I guess they're featuring some sort of Rhovanion group who are proto-Northmen and ancestors of the Rohirrim, the Éothéod before them, and the princes of Rhovanion before them, and on and on.

It feels like a lack of imagination on their part, though.

37 minutes ago, The hairy bear said:

Maybe a wild man related to the Woses. The guy holding an arrow with the carved wooden armor.

16 minutes ago, Ran said:

It's a Second Age show, right? That's not a Rohir, then. I guess they're featuring some sort of Rhovanion group who are proto-Northmen and ancestors of the Rohirrim, the Éothéod before them, and the princes of Rhovanion before them, and on and on.

It feels like a lack of imagination on their part, though.

Honestly, from Galadriel reading the Ring-verse in the announcement trailer, the use of Howard Shore, to the inclusion of proto-hobbits, and the Rohirric design for potential Rhovanion... it does kinda point to this show trying to be what came before a bit more than finding its own unique voice.

Hmm. Some suggestion that at one point Tolkien was going to revise the timeline to bring the Istari to Middle-earth much earlier, but I'm not sure that idea was developed very far (and clearly wasn't the case when LotR was written).

45 minutes ago, Werthead said:

Hmm. Some suggestion that at one point Tolkien was going to revise the timeline to bring the Istari to Middle-earth much earlier, but I'm not sure that idea was developed very far (and clearly wasn't the case when LotR was written).

Wasn't that revision only about the two blue wizards?

Apparently, it's believed that the figure holding the coiled rope is Maxim Baldry, on the basis of photos featuring the actor showing he has a very similar scar in the exact same place on the back of his left hand.  He was announced as one of the leads back in 2020. Rumor seems to be that he's playing Isildur.

Archived