LOTR series: a view of the Two Trees

Ser Scot A Ellison

Just now, Ser Drewy said:

What kind of documentary was everyone expecting? I was hoping for an Attenborough-led one about the migration patterns of Mumakil. 

Figured some sort of True Crime about the great unsolved mysteries of the era.  (It was Feanor all along.)

Time compression definitely makes me think the showrunners lack imagination, by a huge margin, and probably shouldn't even be in the business of telling stories since they can't make work something as basic as that..

As for Elrond, considering his forefathers, he can't be "politically ambitious", there's only a handful of Elves who are of higher lineage and should command greater respect.

15 minutes ago, Rhom said:

There are so many ways they could handle a larger timeframe without the (legitimate) concerns of recasting humans every season.

Flash forwards and backwards could be used to intertwine stories.

The same actors could play descendants.

But hey; let’s just make it happen pretty quickly. 

Probably not a complete dealbreaker before it airs for me… but definitely a strike against.

Why not, it worked for Vikings, lol

I do think y'all are blowing the Elrond as "politically ambitious" thing way out of proportion, and/or only looking at it as a pejorative.  Anyone that accepts one of the three rings, establishes his own realm, and is on a council of the super-elite that protects the world is, by definition, politically ambitious.

8 minutes ago, DMC said:

I do think y'all are blowing the Elrond as "politically ambitious" thing way out of proportion, and/or only looking at it as a pejorative.  Anyone that accepts one of the three rings, establishes his own realm, and is on a council of the super-elite that protects the world is, by definition, politically ambitious.

A big house in the foothills is a “realm”?  It is certainly nothing like Ost-In-Edhil which was a city and a State in its own right.

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Henceforth my acre and house shall be known as Ellisondór.

It was a refuge and seat of power.  His political ambitions in establishing it were certainly admirable, but my point is that doesn't change that fact they are still political ambitions.  Let's not act like he was just building a house for himself in the foothills.

24 minutes ago, Ser Drewy said:

Apparently in a Twitter Q&A with Vanity Fair it was said that the show has the rights to LOTR, Hobbit and Appendices. No Unfinished Tales material or The Sil. It's apparently in contiunity with the Jackson films. Forging & Akallabeth are happening in the same time. 

That’s a contradiction of the very clear Second Age timeline in the appendices.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The time compression turned my head too.  They’re going to make Tolkien’s sub-creation feel very very small… aren’t they?

Yes. It also cheapens the story. We're to buy that the Rings were created, given to men and Dwarves, who were all corrupted in various ways, all within a few years? And Numenor, in this accelerated timeframe, would have to be stuffed with morons if they didn't move against Sauron the moment he showed his true colors. 

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Elrond is “Politically Ambitious”???

What the hell?  Elrond could have attempted to claim the Nolderan High Kingship… and didn’t.  How the hell is he “politically ambitious”?

Yeah this one was bizarre to me, as well. 

1 hour ago, DMC said:

He didn't accept one of the Three till Gil Galad died. And rather than taking over Lindon, which he certainly could have done, he went back to his home.

Certainly, you can claim Elrond, as a thinking being, had political ambitions. But then, so does everyone, so why's he specially politically ambitious?

I'm guessing they don't have access to these portions of the mythos, but didn't Galadriel and Celeborn pretty much get run out of Ost in Edhil when they were suspicious of Annatar? That should be the political focus, not some invented Elrond crap. 

8 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

I'm guessing they don't have access to these portions of the mythos, but didn't Galadriel and Celeborn pretty much get run out of Ost in Edhil when they were suspicious of Annatar? That should be the political focus, not some invented Elrond crap. 

People who listened to a podcast with Vanity Fair are saying the showrunners told them they only have the rights to LOTR + Appendices and The Hobbit. They were searching every page of the LOTR book for stuff to use. No Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales... 

I find all this very baffling.

19 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Certainly, you can claim Elrond, as a thinking being, had political ambitions. But then, so does everyone, so why's he specially politically ambitious?

Well, I wouldn't say every "thinking being" necessarily has political ambitions.  At all.  But it is a fair point that of all the characters we know about that will be in the show, they pretty much all have political ambitions.

6 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

People who listened to a podcast with Vanity Fair are saying the showrunners told them they only have the rights to LOTR + Appendices and The Hobbit. They were searching every page of the LOTR book for stuff to use. No Silmarillion or Unfinished Tales... 

Then you fucking don't make a show about the Second Age, Numenor or the Ring of Power if you don't have any access to the last parts of the Silm. It's as simple as that. We're beyond hack job, we're into pure money-grabbing territory.

7 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

Forging & Akallabeth are happening in the same time. 

How can Tolkien Estate accept this travesty? Or are they just as greedy as the fools making this show? Quite possible of course, now that Christopher Tolkien is no more. Sure, they might argue that it's in line with JRRT's own ancient decision to accept only "cash or kudos", so either a very faithful adaptation or a very lucrative one, but still - after Jackson's movies, they must have got already some cash.

7 hours ago, Ser Drewy said:

It might be that they can use stuff on a case by case basis.

It defies sense for the Tolkien Estate to allow the Akallabeth and the Rings of Power to be adapted but without the best source material for it. Why would they do that? Once Amazon makes this show, it's very unlikely anyone will want the rights to those works for a good two decades, at least (regardless of whether the show succeeds or tanks). 

Archived