UK Politics - Put your mask in the bin and hug your granny

john

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Brexit; the gift that keeps (not) giving.

MacDonalds has run out of milkshakes in the UK (apart from N Ireland of course).

The EU brings all the milkshakes to McDonald's.

And they're like, a free market is better than yours.

Damn right it's better than yours.

I can teach you, but you have to join.

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

MacDonalds has run out of milkshakes in the UK (apart from N Ireland of course).

What are you going to do about it? How to stage a protest? I'm sure your politicians will feel very secure and smug in this milkshake-free world.

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Aren't milkshakes like the only thing remotely justifying MacDonald's existence?

What else is there. Shitty burgers and fries with the consistence of paper?

4 hours ago, Which Tyler said:

Got to wonder what's in that car that makes it more valuable than a dozen or so human lives.
Mind, even with the car there, it looks like there's way more room in that plane than there was in previous pic.s

I gather that a feature of the evacuations has been that the flow of refugees is not constant, and the planes can’t hang around until they are full, which is why not all of them have been full to the brim.

I am curious about the car and why it needs to be evacuated (if it does - it looks like that plane is still in the ground and it could be dropping off immobile passengers), but I don’t think plane capacity is always the main limiting factor.

Got to wonder what's in that car that makes it more valuable than a dozen or so human lives.
Mind, even with the car there, it looks like there's way more room in that plane than there was in previous pic.s

Cash, drugs, other ill gotten gains. Can't expect fleeing upper class people to start with nothing, like regular refugees.

Well, my British Pen Pal, Nigel, claims there are illegal immigrants hiding in the trunk. But I somehow think he might not be the best source of information there.

My personal guess is, Boris Johnson's long lost self-awareness, that's been found at an excavation site in Afghanistan.

11 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Sort of. Brexit has seen a lot of EU lorry drivers head back to the continent, leading to something of a shortfall. There's been no shortage of UK trainee drivers to replace them (the pay is solid and the work, if dull, better than a lot of things) but the DVLA has been overwhelmed by the need to process thousands of new applications mid-pandemic.

It's more of a spin-off of Brexit than a direct Brexit-related problem. Brexit-adjacent, perhaps.

12 hours ago, Werthead said:

Sort of. Brexit has seen a lot of EU lorry drivers head back to the continent, leading to something of a shortfall. There's been no shortage of UK trainee drivers to replace them (the pay is solid and the work, if dull, better than a lot of things) but the DVLA has been overwhelmed by the need to process thousands of new applications mid-pandemic.

It's more of a spin-off of Brexit than a direct Brexit-related problem. Brexit-adjacent, perhaps.

A rather generous take. If the government had anticipated the driver shortage a few years ago and their steps to address it had been derailed by Covid, then fair enough.

But while covid-issues at the DVLA are causing license issues, would these new or renewed hgv licenses have mitigated the exodus of EU drivers had there been no covid?

The Managing Director of Iceland said today that Brexit is definitely a factor in their driver shortage.

The UK government must allow retailers to recruit HGV drivers from abroad to avoid a supply chain crisis that could ruin Christmas, a senior supermarket chain boss has warned.

Richard Walker, Iceland’s managing director, said the UK faced a shortage of 100,000 HGV drivers that was already causing 30-40 deliveries to its stores to be cancelled daily, and would upend plans to begin building Christmas stock from next month.

“We’ve got Christmas around the corner, and in retail we start to stock build really from September onwards, for what is a hugely important time of year,” he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

“We’ve got a lot of goods to transport between now and Christmas and a strong supply chain is vital for everyone. The reason for sounding the alarm now is that we’ve already had one Christmas cancelled at the last minute, and I’d hate this one to be problematic as well.”

The HGV driver shortage had caused cancelled orders for fast-moving food products such as bread at about 100 Iceland stores, and deliveries of soft drinks had fallen 50% by volume, he said.

I'm sure someone will be along momentarily to tell everyone that they know more about the logistics of running a major supermarket chain than the guy who actually runs a major supermarket chain.

1 hour ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Nigel Farage the latest rat to leave ‘take a break’ from GB News.

Andrew O’Neil’s months-long ‘break’ from GB News shows little sign of abating.

Only yesterday, I was reading about GB News, and how they've re-made themselves in the image of the Blessed Nigel.

That obviously hasn't worked. And, ooooooooh, I wonder why (not really).

9 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

The Managing Director of Iceland said today that Brexit is definitely a factor in their driver shortage.

I'm sure someone will be along momentarily to tell everyone that they know more about the logistics of running a major supermarket chain than the guy who runs a major supermarket chain.

I thought Iceland was a democracy not a corporation. Who knew? :P

I just saw that the Greens and SNP have shacked up, and Indyref2 has been put down in writing in the pre-nup. So it's definitely happening then. But what comes next if there is a narrow yes vote win (or even a substantial win really)? Westminster still has to allow actual independence right?

4 minutes ago, The Anti-Targ said:

But will Westminster allow it?

Frankly, if it's 52-48 in favour of independence, I don't see how Johnson or any of his goons will have a leg to stand on.

I mean, they wantonly destroyed the Union on similar numbers, so what the fuck is he going to say?

Archived