UK Politics - Put your mask in the bin and hug your granny

john

31 minutes ago, Hereward said:

The situation is not really comparable. The US produces far more food than it consumes. The UK doesn’t, and hasn’t for centuries. Dicking about with food security, in the belief that imports will always be freely and quickly available, is another reason Brexit was a horrible idea.

I agree.  But for USians to complacently believe this can't apply to them -- particularly the labor shortages all across the boards of all the food industries, artisanal Green Market and upscale restaurants, to corporate farming, and even for the shrimp and oyster beds -- is utterly stupid. Plus ignoring, like you did, that due to the wildfires, drought, flooding, and crop diseases afflicting all the regions of the country that supply that surplus.  Don't forget folks, this all affects our beer and wine supplies too. Even if the beer is made from rice now, instead of barley and wheat -- our own rice supplies have been hard hit in the Carolinas, Louisiana and Gulf Texas.

But I still don't know what food stuffs are harder to find these days in the UK -- I don't mean the Micky D milkshake stuff.  Are butter, milk and eggs harder to find and more expensive?  Is bread?  Beer? Chicken?  Herbs and spices, dried and / or fresh? Olive Oil? Wine? Cheese? Flour? Fresh vegetables and fruits?  What?

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

I agree.  But for USians to complacently believe this can't apply to them -- particularly the labor shortages all across the boards of all the food industries, artisanal Green Market and upscale restaurants, to corporate farming, and even for the shrimp and oyster beds -- is utterly stupid. Plus ignoring, like you did, that due to the wildfires, drought, flooding, and crop diseases afflicting all the regions of the country that supply that surplus.  Don't forget folks, this all affects our beer and wine supplies too. Even if the beer is made from rice now, instead of barley and wheat -- our own rice supplies have been hard hit in the Carolinas, Louisiana and Gulf Texas.

Making beer with rice, and worse still drinking it, makes you beyond the pale anyway.

1 minute ago, Hereward said:

Making beer with rice, and worse still drinking it, makes you beyond the pale anyway.

Don't worry -- this applies to UK beers too.

So again, what are you all not getting?  Dried legumes such beans and peas and lentils? Milk and bread?  Coffee and tea, etc. etc. etc.

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Don't worry -- this applies to UK beers too.

So again, what are you all not getting?  Dried legumes such beans and peas and lentils? Milk and bread?  Coffee and tea, etc. etc. etc.

Milk, bread, fresh fruit and veg. And all kinds of other miscellaneous items.

8 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Nobody is advocating for re-runs of Love Thy Neighbour or Mind Your Language. People recognise that shit as deeply offensive, with no place on modern TV screens.

It's a shame Cleese doesn’t share the same view with regards to his own offensive 70s output. He wrote a scene in Fawlty Towers where The Major goes on a vile racist rant, using the N word four times. 

Cleese disputes this word's offensiveness, calling it 'a nonsense word' and doesn't see why modern audiences shouldn't be subjected to it. 

Seriously, fuck that guy. 

I’m not aware of the rant where he uses the word four times, but anyway, the instance I am aware of is clearly intended to mock the major’s views. Now, you couldn’t do it, rightfully so, but retrospectively policing current mores, regardless of intention, is stupid. Also, isn’t Cleese’s comment about the weirdness of a word being impossible to say, regardless of most context? Though I admit, I could be wrong about that.

I remember being pulled up here, quite strongly, for using the British version of that word, the D word. 

Now I thought it was okay to do that, I was using irony, putting the word in mouths of others, to shine a light on their racism. 

But I was told that, regardless of my intentions, that was most definitely not okay. I learned from that experience, and that is one of the myriad differences between me and the likes of Cleese.

1 hour ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Rice based beer? That's basically Sake isn't it?

It's Sapporo Beer etc. in Japan, and all the corporate, national brands pretty much globally, unless one is where we can get Bavarian, Czech, Belgium and so on beers, or even some African ones.  Otherwise here it's that artisanal, incredibly overhopped stuff, which really hate -- would rather drink Narragansett, Rhode Island's beer. 

Sake (originating in Korea) is, They Who Know Say, closer to beer than wine:

Sake is not rice wine. Nor is it Japanese vodka, or a distilled spirit of any kind. Sake has more in common with beer than any other alcoholic beverage. Like beer, it’s made with steeped grain and is brewed and fermented with yeast. In sake’s case, it is then fermented a second time with koji mold.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Milk, bread, fresh fruit and veg. And all kinds of other miscellaneous items.

Thank you.  The other rotten thing about shortages (ask the Russians and Cubans who have decades and decades of experience) is that it is so hard to plan, and plan one must, because one never knows if / when things will be available -- which then leads to over-buying, which especially for fresh stuff and diary doesn't work so well, for at home, and maybe for the larger community if they didn't get any.  :(

6 hours ago, Hereward said:

The situation is not really comparable. The US produces far more food than it consumes. The UK doesn’t, and hasn’t for centuries. Dicking about with food security, in the belief that imports will always be freely and quickly available, is another reason Brexit was a horrible idea.

Produces or grows? Food production is a mix of both imports, that are further processed within the food production industry, and domestically grown food. On top of that there are finished food imports that don't contribute at all to the domestic production stats.

Since McDonalds has been cited, in the USA pretty much all McDonalds burger patties are a mix of US, Canadian, NZ and Aus beef. So while the beef patties come from the US food production industry (ie counts towards domestic production stats), the beef itself doesn't all come from US beef farms.

15 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

We do get food shortages in Europe. For the second time in two weeks there was no wasabi at the sushi stand in the supermarket. I had to get a whole tube and pay for it!

I noticed that there are no more wasabi flavoured potatoe chips(my gf really likes that flavour).

22 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Things I have had to visit more than one supermarket to obtain this week:

Bread
Milk
Tinned Tomatoes
Coffee
Chicken
Dairy Milk
Various Fruit & Veg

The food shortages are real. 

Quality of fresh fruit and veg is declining imho, in my local morrisons, possibly due to taking longer to reach shelvea. Also times when they have a lot of stuff on the shelves whose use by date is that day, possibly to disguise the shortage.

Various non-fresh stuff no longer being stocked

I’ve noticed in my local Tesco that, while most stuff is still there, if you look closely it just one line of boxes/bottles/etc at the front of the shelf and empty behind, so it’s not immediately obvious that stocks are low

I don't mind the swampies normally. But when I have to go to bed at 2100 because I have to leave the house for work at 0400 it makes me feel like causing an oil spill. Nobody at my age should be expected to survive on that much sleep. 

Archived