UK Politics - Put your mask in the bin and hug your granny

john

15 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I don't mind the swampies normally. But when I have to go to bed at 2100 because I have to leave the house for work at 0400 it makes me feel like causing an oil spill. Nobody at my age should be expected to survive on that much sleep. 

I do most nights, but it's self-inflicted, not forced on me.

2 minutes ago, Hereward said:

You lack ambition. I’m going with running government departments.

Pols wouldn't take the risk of such potentially cromulent, corpulent government. It would be devastating to BoJo.

On 8/25/2021 at 2:54 PM, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Rice based beer? That's basically Sake isn't it?

No. During the brewing process, a small portion (usually 5% - 10% or so of the entire grain bill) of the barley typically used to create the beer is replaced with rice. The rice contributes sugars to ferment into alcohol without contributing a lot of heaviness or body, resulting in a lighter, crisper beer. Maize/corn is another common so-called "adjunct" used in various brewing traditions. 

To be fair, the Mail on Sunday is a slightly different beast to the Daily Mail, and does often have a different angle. But even so:

This country’s goodwill and its desire to trade profitably with [the EU] is not in doubt.

Once more I can only laugh.

The UK became a third country, but somehow thought it wouldn't need to do all the border control activities that it does for every country that isn't in the EU / single market, which it has been doing as part of the EU for decades: documentation, inspections and testing for goods coming into the UK from outside of its Customs borders.

WTO demands that without a bilateral deal the same checks it does on US, Chinese, Indian, Brazilian, Taiwanese, Korea, Australian etc goods must also be done on EU goods. It's not the EU forcing the UK to do import checks, its the WTO, and all those countries that would retaliate against the UK if it keeps giving EU goods a free pass at the border but applies checks and imposes costs on the same products coming from elsewhere.

This really isn't anything new. The belief that the UK not only can have its cake and eat it, but is actually entitled to have its cake and eat it, has defined our attitude to the EU since before the referendum. Free trade without free movement. Border checks when we want them and no checks when we don't. Preferential trade terms just because. Papers like the Mail/Mail On Sunday will continue to demand the EU gives us everything we ask for, even the bits that contradict the other things we asked for, and to blame the EU when they say no.

28 minutes ago, mormont said:

This really isn't anything new. The belief that the UK not only can have its cake and eat it, but is actually entitled to have its cake and eat it, has defined our attitude to the EU since before the referendum. Free trade without free movement. Border checks when we want them and no checks when we don't. Preferential trade terms just because. Papers like the Mail/Mail On Sunday will continue to demand the EU gives us everything we ask for, even the bits that contradict the other things we asked for, and to blame the EU when they say no.

Damn but you sound like Americans.

Archived