UK Politics - Put your mask in the bin and hug your granny

john

"Sewage discharge rules eased over fears of chemical shortage
Wastewater plants in England offered waiver because of impact of lorry driver crisis"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/07/government-ease-sewage-discharge-rules-amid-chemical-shortage

Sewage treatment chemicals have been added to the growing list of products in short supply because of the UK’s chronic lorry driver shortage, it has emerged.

The government has told wastewater plants in England they may be able to discharge effluent that has not been fully treated because of disruption caused by “supply chain failure”.

In a regulatory position statement issued on Tuesday, the Environment Agency introduced a waiver that would mean some companies would not have to go through the third stage in the treatment of sewage if they did not have the right chemicals.

The waiver relates to a feared shortage of availability of ferric sulphate, an acidic solution used to suppress the growth of algae, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) said.

Counting down now the time before ordered to stop reading the Guardian.  :D (though will not receive suggestions as to what to read instead that carries all the good and useful and factual and significant information)

22 minutes ago, Zorral said:

"Sewage discharge rules eased over fears of chemical shortage
Wastewater plants in England offered waiver because of impact of lorry driver crisis"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/sep/07/government-ease-sewage-discharge-rules-amid-chemical-shortage

Counting down now the time before ordered to stop reading the Guardian.  :D (though will not receive suggestions as to what to read instead that carries all the good and useful and factual and significant information)

Lol, yes it’s a scary thought to think what it would be like to get all your news from the Guardian and NYT. You’d be living in a constant state of terror.

34 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

It's better than living with your head up your arse. At least you'd know the truth.

I mean surely these kind of comments must give you pause that maybe you’ve lost perspective on some issues? You can’t honestly believe that The Guardian is peddling unfiltered ‘truth’, that there isn’t a spectrum that it sits way to the left of? 

3 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

I mean surely these kind of comments must give you pause that maybe you’ve lost perspective on some issues? You can’t honestly believe that The Guardian is peddling unfiltered ‘truth’, that there isn’t a spectrum that it sits way to the left of? 

I dunno, I think a lot of people easily accept that the daily mail and telegraph have obvious political angles which are certainly not ‘unfiltered truth’ but choose to deny that the same might be true of something like the Guardian or Independent.

How many times has the Guardian has been sanctioned by regulators, and forced to print apologies and corrections when the stories they printed were exposed as lies?

See where I'm going with this? 

p.s. The Independent is unfiltered horseshit. 

56 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

It's better than living with your head up your arse. At least you'd know the truth.

Right-wing publicans are well known for their rosy, positive outlooks interspersed with race-baiting, anti-Semitism, and, uh, fear mongering. 

Really quite rich to suggest it's the Left and not the Right that lives in a constant state of terror.

26 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

How many times has the Guardian has been sanctioned by regulators, and forced to print apologies and corrections when the stories they printed were exposed as lies?

See where I'm going with this? 

p.s. The Independent is unfiltered horseshit. 

Do you think the Guardian is ‘unfiltered truth’ though 

40 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

The Guardian certainly has its own political agenda, but in terms of the overall political spectrum, it definitely doesn't sit "way" to the left. 

1 minute ago, Liffguard said:

The Guardian certainly has its own political agenda, but in terms of the overall political spectrum, it definitely doesn't sit "way" to the left. 

Not the overall spectrum, but the mainstream media spectrum it’s about as far left as any ‘reputable’ outlet.

29 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Do you think the Guardian is ‘unfiltered truth’ though 

Of course not. I'm not stupid. 

The first five of my 'news' bookmarks in Chrome are:

AP, Reuters, Guardian, BBC, Google News. 

AP and Reuters are good for unfiltered facts. The BBC not so much. Guardian is the only decent major leftish publication in the country. But to suggest it is far left is bizarre. Keep drinking the koolaid, I guess. 

Ah yes, the questions, which we could also have predicted :D but as predicted no alternative provided that will provide all the facts, rationality, information, etc. etc. etc. 

Gosh the number of news outlets I look at every day -- and not all of them in English or in the the US or the UK -- I can't count them.  That list doesn't include the academic, intellectual, historical sites I look at everyday.

But the evidence as piled up here provides every indication that the incessant questioners don't read anything at all except social media, where their purpose to ask questions. :commie:

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Lol, yes it’s a scary thought to think what it would be like to get all your news from the Guardian and NYT. You’d be living in a constant state of terror.

As opposed all the outrage stoked up by the Daily Heil and Torygraph. 

15 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Ah yes, the questions, which we could also have predicted :D but as predicted no alternative provided that will provide all the facts, rationality, information, etc. etc. etc. 

What would an acceptable response to this look like? “Yes, there is a perfect place to get your news and it’s …” We’re all drinking kool-aid of some form, it’s just better to know that going in.

24 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Gosh the number of news outlets I look at every day -- and not all of them in English or in the the US or the UK -- I can't count them.  That list doesn't include the academic, intellectual, historical sites I look at everyday.

But the evidence as piled up here provides every indication that the incessant questioners don't read anything at all except social media, where their purpose to ask questions. :commie:

Weird that you post almost exclusively in this thread with articles from the Guardian and NYT then isn’t it. 

Anyway, none of this is a defence of right wing media which I think we all know is shit, more that there is seemingly much less objective scrutiny of left wing media and what their ‘angle’ might be with their writing. Just because you personally agree with something doesn’t mean you should ignore that there could be far more angles to a story than is being told 

49 minutes ago, DaveSumm said:

Not the overall spectrum, but the mainstream media spectrum it’s about as far left as any ‘reputable’ outlet.

This where the left and just telling the truth get conflated. Conservative media on both sides of the pond has descended into mainly peddling falsehoods.

Thanks Rupert....  

10 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

This where the left and just telling the truth get conflated. Conservative media on both sides of the pond has descended into mainly peddling falsehoods.

Thanks Rupert....  

If blindly trusting NYT or The Guardian is drinking Kool-aid then reading/watching the Daily Mail, Fox News et al is drinking dehydrated rat piss while complimenting the vintage.

25 minutes ago, Week said:

If blindly trusting NYT or The Guardian is drinking Kool-aid then reading/watching the Daily Mail, Fox News et al is drinking dehydrated rat piss while complimenting the vintage.

It's seems like the difference between a biased spin of facts; versus unashamed fabrication

When one looks at many sources, and wishes to provide information that many sources have confirmed, when it isn't an academic paper, one provides the easiest to access for most people source, does one not? :rofl:  I mean, after all, how many of the singles links do you click on as it is?  :rofl: I mean, you still haven't provided any sources that are in your unhumble opinion, fair, informative, correct, factual, truthful, etc.

Archived