Pycelle and Moon Tea

Lucia Targaryen

I'm still confused on why Pycelle told Cersei that he made moon tea for Margaery. 

Even if Margaery was having affairs, which I doubt, she is too intelligent to go to Pycelle. Margaery is aware of all the spies and that Cersei is looking for any excuse to get rid of her. She easily figures out that Cersei has tried to frame her for adultery. 

Some have suggested that Pycelle is working with the Tyrells and this was part of the plan but I doubt it. In this world when a woman's sexual reputation is questioned she's usually seen as guilty. 

Pycelle in book 4 is opposing all of Cersei's destructive actions but then he tells her that Margaery is requesting moon tea? Yes she cuts him off before he says why but the implication is obvious. 

For a man who says he's loyal to House Lannister he sure did help its decline. And now that he's dead I'm not sure how we're going to get his real motivations.

2 hours ago, Lucia Targaryen said:

Pycelle in book 4 is opposing all of Cersei's destructive actions but then he tells her that Margaery is requesting moon tea? Yes she cuts him off before he says why but the implication is obvious. 

I always supposed that moon tea had other uses as well, and Cersei cutting Pycelle prevented him from explaining why Margaery requested it.

I assumed the moon tea was for one of the young women in Margaery's entourage. 

I also figured Margaery felt secure with the protection of her father and brothers (and Tommen) up until Cersei had her framed for adultery. She didn't know how far Cersei would go to bring her down. 

I figured it was a ploy. ask for it so that cersie would hear of it as a way to get her to come up with this whole garbage plan of hers. afterwords Pycelle could be a witness to say whether or not he had seen her use it, and if he had not, we have a mitigating factor.

now that he's dead though, he can't take it back or explain himself. clever Varys...

21 hours ago, Seams said:

I assumed the moon tea was for one of the young women in Margaery's entourage. 

I also figured Margaery felt secure with the protection of her father and brothers (and Tommen) up until Cersei had her framed for adultery. She didn't know how far Cersei would go to bring her down. 

That's a bingo.   It's for Ellinor who is betrothed to a nice young knight but was seduced by the Bastard of Driftmark. 

Archived