Tyrion's hair description in the Wiki

Alt Shift X

On the Tyrion page on the wiki, it says Tyrion has "a mixture of pale blond and black hair". I don't think this is a good description of Tyrion's hair.

In the books, Tyrion is almost always described as blond:
"so blond it seemed white" (Jon I, AGOT)
"Fair-haired" (Eddard IX, AGOT)
"thin flaxen hair" (Tyrion VII, ACOK)

The only mention of black hair is in Tyrion X, ADWD -- "Strands of hair, pale blond and black, clung to his brow".
And his beard is "yellow, white, and black" (Tyrion II, ASOS)

So overall it sounds like Tyrion is mostly blond, with some black hairs on his head, and black hair in his beard.

A better description for the wiki might be that Tyrion is "blond, with a blond and black beard". Or "blond, with some black hair".

Some fan artists have clearly read the "a mixture of pale blond and black hair" line on the wiki, and consequently drawn Tyrion like this and this and this, which I don't think is what GRRM means at all.

I'd put this on the wiki Talk page or edit the page myself, but I don't have enough forum posts to edit the wiki.

On a similar note, the Wiki says Daenerys has "violet eyes", which I think is not the most accurate description.

The books say Daenerys' eyes are purple -- "those purple eyes" (Daenerys I, AGOT), "purple eyes" (Daenerys II, ASOS), "the purple of her eyes" (Daenerys III, ASOS), "purple eyes" (Davos II, ADWD), "those haunting purple eyes. Daenerys has the same eyes" (The Kingbreaker, ADWD).

Her eyes are only ever described as "violet" in the sense that "The color will bring out the violet in your eyes" (Daenerys I, AGOT) and "a deep plum silk to bring out the violet in her eyes" (Daenerys I, AGOT). So there's "violet in her eyes", but her eyes are "purple eyes".

Obviously this is super pedantic, and I understand if people prefer to use the more poetic and specific "violet eyes".

But hey, I've got five posts now ;)

Archived