Heir to Stormlands ?

PrettyLittlePsycho

So, after reading this thread

I got a question stuck in my mind I can´t quite answer.

Let´s assume all this war business hadn´t happened, who would have inherited the Stormlands after Renlys eventual death ?

Robert was the first king to have lands of his own besides KL, he decided to place Renly as Lord in his stead. But who would have inherited Storms End ? Renlys potential children ? Roberts 2nd born ? Could Stannis figure in somehow if Renly died without children ?

I´d be interested if anyone knows about some historic reference to such a situation.

House Baratheon of Storm's End is a cadet branch of house Baratheon of King's Landing. If Renly were to have children, they would inherit the seat and possibly the title of lord paramount of the stormlands. if Renly died without a children, Robert as the closest and oldest male relative would be his heir. His presumed Son Joff would inherit the crown and kings landing. Tommen would be the most likely candidate to inherit Storm's end if that was the case, but if neither Jamie or Tyrion inherited Casterly rock, it may have then gone to Cersei or maybe even Tommen. Perhaps then Marcella would inherit the rock to keep things distributed among the children. its unlike that any of Roberts bastards would have inherited while Cersei's bastards went on unrevealed. If Renly died young, too young for Tommen to inherit as lord paramount of the stormlands, it makes sense then from robert to give it to stannis and have dragonstone revert to crown control. But he still might not do that due to spite.

Any inheritance would go to Renly's children first and foremost, boys first then women. If none exist it would go back to Robert who may appoint a new overlord. Crownlands are the size of Germany, Stormlands are bigger and managing both together would be impossible without relegating it further down. Most likely Penrose is kept as Castelan of Storms end and impromptu overlord of the region until Tommen comes of age and is able to take it up as Lord Paramount. 

He could give it to Stannis but I don't see Robert doing that, he loved tormenting his brother and he'd keep on doing so. 
If Tommen and others are discovered as bastards he'd divorce, make more kids and give it to them. If no kids are available his acknowledged bastard Edric might be legitimized and given rule over both the Kingdom and Stormlands. Which he may then delegate further out. 

• 2 months later...

If Renly died without children I don't see Robert passing up the chance to give the Stormlands to one of his own children, probably Tommen. It's not that Robert has any great love of his children. It's just that Robert doesn't hesitate to take what he wants, enjoy himself, add to his own name, etc. Having his own children also rule the Stormlands would just add to his "glory".

On 8/6/2021 at 7:24 PM, PrettyLittlePsycho said:

So, after reading this thread

I got a question stuck in my mind I can´t quite answer.

Let´s assume all this war business hadn´t happened, who would have inherited the Stormlands after Renlys eventual death ?

Robert was the first king to have lands of his own besides KL, he decided to place Renly as Lord in his stead. But who would have inherited Storms End ? Renlys potential children ? Roberts 2nd born ? Could Stannis figure in somehow if Renly died without children ?

I´d be interested if anyone knows about some historic reference to such a situation.

Robert made Renly Lord. not acting Lord or anything. Lord. so it would go like this:

1.Renly's sons

2.Renly's daughters

3.Robert( because he is Renly's eldest brother and)

4.Robert's sons( including the first son in which case it would mean the Crown)

5.Robert's daughter's

6. Stannis

7.Stannis's children

! I mean no wonder Stannis was so upset! it's their family home!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2021 at 1:35 AM, EggBlue said:

Robert made Renly Lord. not acting Lord or anything. Lord. so it would go like this:

1.Renly's sons

2.Renly's daughters

3.Robert( because he is Renly's eldest brother and)

4.Robert's sons( including the first son in which case it would mean the Crown)

5.Robert's daughter's

6. Stannis

7.Stannis's children

! I mean no wonder Stannis was so upset! it's their family home!

Stannis has zero reason to be upset. If there was no rebellion, forget storms end he wouldn't have even gotten dragonstone. 

I personally think that the heir presumptive of storms end would've been the iron Throne. 

24 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

Stannis has zero reason to be upset

Not true. Storm's End is the ancestral seat of the Baratheons as well as his home. Since the Baratheons of the stormlands are now technically a cadet branch of the larger Baratheon house, as of Robert becoming king and moving to King's Landing, it would have made sense to make Stannis the lord of Storm's End, since he's older than Renly and also has had actual experience holding Storm's End. Stannis has cause to be angry over the decision to give it to Renly.

26 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

If there was no rebellion, forget storms end he wouldn't have even gotten dragonstone

Irrelevant. Since the rebellion did happen, the situation is different. 

27 minutes ago, Daenerysthegreat said:

I personally think that the heir presumptive of storms end would've been the iron Throne

Feudal politics are complex. Once Robert became king and moved to King's Landing, he became the overlord of the crownlands, and both because of the distance between him and the stormlands, and also the two regions being too large to rule over simultaneously, he essentially "split" the Baratheon domain; the Baratheons of the crownlands and the Iron Throne (Robert and his children) being one branch of the larger house, and the Baratheons of the stormlands being the other (in this case Renly and his potential offspring). Even though Robert was the king of all the Seven Kingdoms, he wasn't the actual overlord of the stormlands anymore, i.e. the guy actually running the day-to-day affairs of the region. That was now Renly.

33 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

Storm's End is the ancestral seat of the Baratheons as well as his home. Since the Baratheons of the stormlands are now technically a cadet branch of the larger Baratheon house, as of Robert becoming king and moving to King's Landing, it would have made sense to make Stannis the lord of Storm's End, since he's older than Renly and also has had actual experience holding Storm's End. Stannis has cause to be angry over the decision to give it to Renly.

Westeros has yet to learn about appanages. Robert legally speaking owes nothing to his brothers, since the law is quite literally "elder takes it all". Stannis whining about not getting Storm's End while being entitled to nothing is weird.

Robert needed Stannis elsewhere, not in Storm's End anyway.

37 minutes ago, WhatAnArtist! said:

Irrelevant. Since the rebellion did happen, the situation is different. 

The rebellion doesn't change Stannis's aspirations tho.

If Robert decide to give the castles to his children and kept his brothers as castellans... 

Archived